Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would my doctor prescribe Antabuse for one week only?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would like some feedback on this situation. I've been taking Campral 3 times a day since May and have been sober for about 47 days now. On Saturday, my wife is leaving town and returning the following Wednesday. Times when my wife is out of town are the hardest for me and I am at my weakest. I used to do the majority of my drinking while she was away. I am really feeling tempted again and have been having a lot of doubt. I have a followup with my GP (who prescribed the Campral). I have been very honest with him about my drinking problem, but I don't think he really believes that I am an alcoholic. I had expressed an interest in Antabuse in the past but he said it wasn't for me and that he only prescribes it to "alcoholics who just can't stop drinking". I think that description fits me, but I wasn't going to argue with him. Now, I have the weekend coming up, and an appointment with him. I was thinking of asking if he could give me a week's worth of Antabuse to ensure I don't drink while my wife is out of town. I wonder if he would do it. I know Antabause is powerful and I really have no desire to tempt fate and try drinking while on it. I think that if I had it this weekend, it would take the choice out of my hands and take some of this pressure off.

Any thoughts? Are doctors typically stubborn about dispensing Antabuse?

Hi JS, I don't know if the rules are different in the US to here in the UK, but your doctor has a duty of care to you to make sure you don't come to any harm.

You said that he said "he only prescribes it to "alcoholics who just can't stop drinking". I think that description fits me, but I wasn't going to argue with him."

Now is the time to argue with him - tell him you seriously fear that you will have a drink if you don't have it. Explain to him what you have explained to us.

In the UK you really have to fight for Antabuse sometimes as it is very expensive - ditto Campral actually.

Best of luck!
    Recovery Coaching website

"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." - Carl Bard wl:

Recovery Videos

Comment

JS, can you perhaps ask for a 30 day supply and only take it for 7, saving the rest for down the road?
      :l
      LTG AF January 13, 2011

Comment

I think Kimberly gave yo good advice about being clear with him about the amount of temoptation. I see no reason to not give it too for a week. And stick by here this weekend as well for support. Good luck.

Comment

I visited the doctor today. I explained my situation and everything worked out. He gave me 50 tablets @ 250mgs, (will have to double check on exact dosage). I was surprised at how supportive he was. He even said I could call him on the weekend as a last resort. Pretty cool.

Comment

Thats great to hear!

Comment

Antebuse

As a recovering Alcoholic (for 17 years - one day at a time) I apauld the honesty of the member who has enough courage to admit his thoughts. Some people need it to stop ...but please take notre that the desire for the demon drink can be stronger than antebuse and in some isolated cases - people have actually died as a diirect result of drinking ontop on alcohol.

Good luck to all who are in the grips of " a incideous, progressive, and fatel disease" which I still have some 17 years after my last drink.:new:

Comment

Antabuse is helping a lot of people around here at the moment, Andres. Lots of ways out...

Comment

Fatslag I am wondering why you have answered a thread dated 8.5.2009?

Andres, I see your new here, Antabuse has stopped me drinking when nothing else worked for me, I am glad nobody ever told me not to take it, I dont want to think about what could have happened in this time if I had not found AB and carried on drinking, whatever, it wouldnt have been good. Is there anything you wanted help with Andres?

Comment

spacebebe01;1286452 wrote: Fatslag I am wondering why you have answered a thread dated 8.5.2009?

Andres, I see your new here, Antabuse has stopped me drinking when nothing else worked for me, I am glad nobody ever told me not to take it, I dont want to think about what could have happened in this time if I had not found AB and carried on drinking, whatever, it wouldnt have been good. Is there anything you wanted help with Andres?
                    Space, i am with you all the way.. i am not sure what fats is saying but if it weren't for antabuse i would be sitting here right now drunk. i keep saying it but it saved my life. gave me my family back and a fresh start.
                    caper
                    AF since Sept 2013...
                    :alf:

Comment

Working...
                    X