Nal and Bac at same time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there any side effects/interactions anybody has had while taking nal (or vivitrol) and titrating up on baclofen? I have just spent a week at assisted recovery in Phoenix (fantastic organization and doctors btw, their CBT is extremely useful) although they don't seem to think much of TSM and, although not ready to prescribe bac yet, they are following trials with keen interest. I am aware of some of yourselves having "honeymoon period" on Nal and I think it might be a good idea to start titrating very slowly up on Bac, while AF, before this period is over as I had some side effects while drinking and starting bac 2 weeks ago. Does anybody have any experience doing this or know of any reasons why I shouldn't? Thank you so much everybody for all your wonderful information.

I think everyones different with regard to what medications work. For me, Nal had no effect. Did not feel a thing and drank just as much. Awaiting the arrival of Bac.

Everything I need is within me!

Comment

Bright,

Did you do the Sinclair method?

Comment

I have continued to use both Nal and Baclofen and have been drinking as per the Sinclair Method. My drinking has reduced by half. I would prefer to drink a lot less than I still do, but still do not have the will power.
        I try to titrate up the baclofen, but it makes me very lethargic. It does really help me sleep at night, so that's a big plus.

Cinders, you have really been such a big help in the baclofen issue! I wish you the very best success. Keep going, we shall get there....:rays:

Comment

Brightlite, how much Nal were you taking? I was on 150 mg/day (also taking Campral) for the first 5 days, but Dr. talked me into Vivitrol shot (slow rls Nal) and supplementing with 50. Seems to be working. I can't believe it. I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop. 8 days AF.
          Apparently women need a larger dose than men. I would have thought that was BS, but all my research confirms it.
          Anyway, best of luck with the bac. And thanks everyone for all the info.

Comment

I'll be interested in the outcome of this study It's probably been posted here before, but it's new to me.

Comment

Thanks for passing on that link, Lenore. I saw it once before when I was researching baclofen but forgot about it. I'd be really interested in the seeing results, too. Although I worry that the baclofen dose (30mg/day) may be inadequate for some. On this board, some of us get up to 200mg/day before the "off switch" is flipped!! I know that 30mg wouldn't help me at all. And then I worry that if the results aren't significant for the bac group or the nal + bac group, then the conclusion will be that baclofen is ineffective in treating alcoholism. This could be really BAD for us--or anyone trying to convince their MD to write them a prescription. Argh. Argh. Argh.

Comment

Anna,

I have to agree with your concerns. A long, long time ago, when I started MWO actually, I tried Baclofen 30 mgs a day. It did nothing.

It wasn't until I read Amiesen's book that I revisited it.

Yes, I had to get up to 160 mgs a day before I hit my off switch.

Luckily, I am titrating down and still able to stay sober at this point.

It was worth the side effects to hit the off switch.

Cindi
                AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Working...
                X