Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baclofen - new and needing confidence

Hello Friends,

I just started Bac 5 days ago. Decided to do it after all the reading here, and also previous attempts to limit/stop drinking without success.

Started very conservatively, 5mg at 3PM, 5mg at 6pm. I decided to begin later in the day because my "witching hour" is around 8PM.

Didn't feel much of an affect with the 5mg, BUT drank MORE than the usual bottle of wine. Actually felt MORE into AL than usual. Felt groggy upon waking.

Decided to go to 10mg at 3PM the next day. Definitely felt very mellow. Took another 10 at 6PM. Still wanted wine (my only choice of beverage) at 8. Found that the AL had LESS affect on me again, like I had a higher tolerance than usual....more "together" whilst drinking. Had 7 glasses.

Next day, same thing. Did 10 + 10 about 3 hours apart, starting at around 3, but still wanted the habit. 6 units.

Woke again feeling "heavy," but not unable to wake up.

Today, I still feel the effects of the Bac all day. Took a friend to the airport late last night (about a 20 minute drive) after 10mg at 5 and another 10mg at 8, and I honestly felt I shouldn't have been driving. I didn't feel drunk, but I felt like I was compromised.

Then I came home and, gladly, I had 3 drinks, which was great (for me) but woke up feeling this overall - I don't even know how to explain it - a kind of "layer" of something over my world that I'm not used to.

This morning, I had a brunch meeting and the COFFEE helped a lot. Actually, it seems caffeine helps eliminate the "layer" that Bac seems to impart.

But, throughout the day, I felt a little "something." Like there was a "narcotic," on some level, that I was feeling retroactively. I had a meeting that I needed to drive about 50 miles to go to and, after the experience the other evening of a quick drive to the airport, I didn't want to take anything. So I didn't. But, during driving, I felt that I still had that affect doing something to my body/mind. It didn?t feel bad, but it felt like it gave me something "out of body" on some level.

I had my usual bottle of wine when I came home, and I, all day long have felt like the Bac, despite the fact that I didn't take any, was still living in me. It was an out-of-body kind of sensation kind of stuff. And the affect of the wine feels minimal ? less than usual. I feel ?above? it. This is not usual.

I know this takes time, but these initial experiences are disconcerting - I feel like I like AL more, I feel like I'm developing more of a tolerance, I feel like Bac makes me less able to resist AL and, even without AL, makes it so I shouldn't drive.

Obviously, it's only been 5 days and today I've taken NO Bac because I feel such a "hangover" from the previous 4 days. I still feel like it's affecting me, and yet, I am taking in wine. I'm sure the combo is a terrible thing.

Anyway, I know it takes time, based on all the comments. And I will keep after it. Just wanted to see if anyone has insight for the beginner Bac person.

When you've tried a lot of things and have been a failure, any attempt that isn't immediately successful makes you revert to the feeling that there is no way out FOR YOU, because YOU are somehow worse than anyone on the planet.

I will reduce again to 5mg tomorrow (I don't have anywhere to drive). Maybe I should stick with 5mg's 3x's a day for longer. The 10mg's 2x's a day are making me feel like I'm not in control of my senses and also making me feel MORE tolerant of AL - ahhh! Not what I was hoping for!!!

Hope to hear from you.

Thanks!

Hi Citygirl, I'm sorry that you had such a difficult start on bac.

I did not drink when I started bac and then had disasterous effects when I did decide to drink after about eight days AF. I have written about it in my thread. I also felt that "outside my body" feeling on occasion. I titrated down, something I suggest you do and started all over again.

I am now on 30mgs daily and have been AF for 24 days. I nonger feel side effects, other than drowsiness. I still get occasional cravings, but I can push them aside. I do not want to go higher, as I am managing at this dose.

Why not try going AF for a while and see if it helps the spaced out feeling. Keep trying, its worth it. I am so, so grateful to be AF.

Comment

Sorry you are off to a rocky start. I also would suggest going back to 5mg 3x/day and spacing it out more rather than taking it all in a 3-4 hour period. Stay on this for at least 3 days before going up. And do whatever you can to help yourself drink less, like using the cd's and kudzu, l-glutamine.

Comment

Hi City,

Bac makes you feel kind of weird, no doubt about it, especially the first few days and whenever you titrate higher. Like you say, its not a bad feeling per se, you just feel .... weird.

And I totally get what you mean about getting frustrated and despondent when you dont feel success. Ive been on the Bac for over a month now and am at 120mg, but still have cravings and am still drinking too much. Im trying to be patient and titrate up and hope for the best, but I am starting to despair.

But you are on an extremely low dose, so definitely you have reasons to be optimistic. You may have to fight through some of the side effects by drinking coffee or whatever and sacrifice the odd night of sleep, but its way too early for you to lose hope.

Comment

Thanks, all, for the advice.

I took today off again and I will take your advice and start again with 5mg, 3x's a day. I was thinking 2PM, 6PM & 10PM.

But maybe I've got it wrong. I am associating WHEN I take it to when I drink - like somehow it correlates. But does it? I dunno...maybe there's a larger picture that I'm not seeing?

I appreciate the support, thank you so much.

Best,
          Citygirl

Comment

Hi Citygirl - are you taking the day off work, off alcohol, or off baclofen? If it's a day without baclofen, that might not be the best idea - it is dangerous to stop taking it suddenly. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post, though....

Regarding your experiences, that's sounds completely normal, and I guarantee it will get much better once your body gets used to the drug.

I have always urged caution while driving when you're titrating up, and if you feel particularly sensitive to it, it might be a good idea to only increase your dosage on days when you don't need to do much driving.

The "haze" feeling is very normal, but it definitely goes away eventually. Like you, I found that coffee was really good in the morning to lift the haze.

Experimenting with times of day for taking it is a great idea, and you are very correct in thinking that dosing and drinking times are correlated. I take light doses in the morning (to minimize the brain fog), heavy doses in the late afternoon (for the strong evening cravings) and then light doses in the late evening (to minimize the next morning's fog).

You might consider not taking your last dose so late at night, since it will likely increase your morning fog. Or, if you really want that late evening dose and you can deal with splitting the pills into quarters, it might be possible to do something like 2.5mg (10am) / 5mg (2pm) / 5mg (6pm) / 2.5mg (10pm). That way you could at least make the evening dose a bit lighter.

You can buy pill cutters that will split pills in quarters, but I'm not sure how well it works.

I don't know, but it is good to experiment around a bit to find a dosing schedule that works well for you.

Comment

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the thoughtful note. I will try to get zen with the fog being normal - I will be "at one" with the fog.

Actually I did mean the day off Bac. I know it's not recommended, but I thought I'd be okay since I hadn't taken it much. Probably not a good idea wither way, so thanks for that reminder.

So, I did 4 days and then I got nervous on Sat because I had to drive and my Friday night trip to the airport felt unwise. Then Sunday I had to work and I needed to be at the top of my game, so I skipped.

I think I will follow your and others advice and take it slowly. I'm going to do 2pm & 6pm at 5mg and then maybe .25 at 10 for easy sleeping.

My problem with AL is definitely one that rears itself ONLY in the evening. The driving thing is a real problem. I never drink and drive, so this is kind of ironic, wouldn't you say ; >)

Morning fog doesn't bother me too much, as long as I know there's a nice cup of coffee waiting. I have tried Kudzu (not ordered from here) and it had zero affect. From what I read now, I see that you really have to get the right stuff. I have been drinking glut powder mixed with water. Can't tell if that's helping or not. Will keep on with that.

Trying to replace the bad AL habit with good ones. It's crazy how hard this is. I never would have imagined getting to this place.

Thanks to all for the support. You're great to help with this.

xo,

Comment

Citygirl, how are you doing with the bac?

I am very interested in your description of your drive to the airport, feeling compromised. I am having a very similar reaction. I have been on very low doses of bac (one day up to 30 and then right back down) due to very strong "spacey" reaction. I feel like I have taken a strong tranquilizer or something. I feel woozy and have no desire to do anything. I am not sleeping well and keep waking up feeling like I am falling. Strange dreams. I also feel like I have the same thoughts over and over -- almost obsessional.

Are you doing better? What did you do?

Comment

Working...
                X