Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fitness Advice

Hello,

I am a personal trainer and wanted to offer my advice to anyone who needs it. Please just ask! No question is stupid! I just wanted to say that exercising is a good way to get rid of the toxins that alcohol can put in your body. It is also a good way to release endorphins which make you feel good. The same feeling some of us may crave when we drink. Again please feel free to ask me any questions.

thetruth

Fitness Advice

Ooooo....Truth! Thank you so much for offering!!! What a great resource for us, here. I do have a question for you. What is your opinion of how much weekly aerobic exercise is necessary for fitness and weight loss? I've read conflicting reports about "short burst" intense aerobic activity versus longer steady aerobic exercise in one's "fat burning zone." Any thoughts, please?

And, to return the favor, I'm a technical writer, so the next time you want to be bored to tears... :H
    "If you fell down yesterday, get up today." -- H.G. Wells

Comment

Fitness Advice

Truth I am 55 years old and 100 pounds overweight. I have started walking, one of the things that really aggravates me is my lack of flexibility.
      I would like to try a yoga DVD. Do you have one that you would recommend? I don't want to make a fool of myself in public.
      Wally22:confusedmonkey::confusedmonkey::confusedmo nkey:
      If I don't want to brag but I can still wear the earings I wore in highschool
      November 2, 2012

Comment

Fitness Advice

LilBit;691273 wrote: Ooooo....Truth! Thank you so much for offering!!! What a great resource for us, here. I do have a question for you. What is your opinion of how much weekly aerobic exercise is necessary for fitness and weight loss? I've read conflicting reports about "short burst" intense aerobic activity versus longer steady aerobic exercise in one's "fat burning zone." Any thoughts, please?

And, to return the favor, I'm a technical writer, so the next time you want to be bored to tears... :H
        LilBit,

To try and best answer your question I need to know what you current physical state is (i.e. athletic, moderately active... and so forth).

As far as which is better just like you said, there are different schools of thought on which cardio modality is better. Steady is great when you are starting out because you can build yourself up to a good level, but short burst or HIIT (high intesity interval training) is also good because you can push yourself really hard for a short period of time and go down to a manageable pace for a short period of time. If I took your average heart rate for HIIT training it would be higher than what it would be in the steady training. Thus in my opinion making it more effective.

As far is weight loss is concerned you want to key in on the nutrition first as it is 90% of the game. Small, frequent, and healthy meals is what your body needs vs. three larger unhealthy meals.

Small, frequent, and healthy meals kick starts your body's metabolic rate or the rate at which calories are burned.

3 large meals a day scares your body into survival mode because doesn't know when exactly its going to get food, slowing its metabolic rate down. Thus you will retain more fat.

Hope that helps.

Just remember start slow and work your way up! GOOD LUCK!

Comment

Fitness Advice

Wally22;691308 wrote: Truth I am 55 years old and 100 pounds overweight. I have started walking, one of the things that really aggravates me is my lack of flexibility.
          I would like to try a yoga DVD. Do you have one that you would recommend? I don't want to make a fool of myself in public.
          Wally,

It's great to hear that you are walking, and you are right not being flexible can be frustrating. It's actually the reason the older U.S. population is immobile. I would recommend starting with very basic stretches as well as start to work on your core to strengthen it. Core strength is vital before starting yoga as you can injure yourself if your body tries to compensate for a weak core. If you would like some exercises that can help you with both initial core strength and flexibility please let me know.

As far as which yoga DVD is good, any beginner one should be fine.

GOOD LUCK!

Comment

Fitness Advice

good thread,nice to know your here thetruth :goodjob:

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
            I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Fitness Advice

wally, i have a a great yoga dvd that has 4 different "levels" that the viewer can choose from. it's called "yoga for weight loss" and is from the gaiam company.

Comment

Fitness Advice

mario;691561 wrote: good thread,nice to know your here thetruth :goodjob:
                glad i could be of assistance

Comment

Fitness Advice

Truth: thanks so much!

Wally: I would really recommend taking a class, just for a few weeks, before trying Yoga on your own. I am also 55, and yoga is great for both strength and flexibility. I have signed up for classes just in the summer the past two years. Then I learn the basics to add to my independent routine throughout the rest of the year. It is possible to injure yourself.
                  My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Fitness Advice

thetruth;691485 wrote: To try and best answer your question I need to know what you current physical state is (i.e. athletic, moderately active... and so forth).
                    Thank you so much, Truth! I'm fairly active (play a rigorous sport 6 hours a week, weight training 3x/week, steady cardio/aerobics 30 mins+ 3x a week, HI aerobic activity 2x a week, 20 mins pilates/stretching every day, and I walk nearly everywhere I go). As for diet, I follow a frequent small, healthy meal plan -- mostly protein, veggies, and good carbs. I keep a food diary and average about 1300-1400 calories a day. 'Have cut out almost all refined foods and sugars. Aside from the sugar part, I've followed this diet and exercise regimen for three months now. Before that, I was doing all of the above, but at only about 75%. ('Still don't know how I managed to do any of it when I was drinking like a fish!)

I don't have too much weight that I want to lose --probably about 10 lbs -- and actually I'm more concerned with inches than pounds because of the old "muscle weighs more than fat" thing. That said, I'm losing about 1 pound a week or so, or an inch everywhere each month. It just seems to be taking for-frickin-ever [sigh]. I expected the weight to dissolve when I quit drinking 3 1/2 months ago, and it didn't. Am I being too impatient? Would more HI activity speed it up? BTW, I'm around 40, so I know that my age has something to do with it.

Thanks, thanks, thanks again! It's so great to be able to ask you these questions. :thanks2:

Comment

Fitness Advice

I am so glad you have started this thread....I walk every morning 5k..and have for many months...have be AF for over 14 months.....I am at a good gym but no trainer is there in the am when I can go....
                      I have been trying to do weights....but really am not sure that I have the action right.... is there any way that you could give some tips to make sure that I am in the right position for the full benifit ... and any idea what would be better... I want to regain my upperbody strength...can do many sit ups well about 10 minutes...my core is getting pretty strong......and my legs are getting strong too!!
                      :heart:AF since May 31 2008.....Happy and Healthy

Comment

Fitness Advice

LilBit;693522 wrote: Thank you so much, Truth! I'm fairly active (play a rigorous sport 6 hours a week, weight training 3x/week, steady cardio/aerobics 30 mins+ 3x a week, HI aerobic activity 2x a week, 20 mins pilates/stretching every day, and I walk nearly everywhere I go). As for diet, I follow a frequent small, healthy meal plan -- mostly protein, veggies, and good carbs. I keep a food diary and average about 1300-1400 calories a day. 'Have cut out almost all refined foods and sugars. Aside from the sugar part, I've followed this diet and exercise regimen for three months now. Before that, I was doing all of the above, but at only about 75%. ('Still don't know how I managed to do any of it when I was drinking like a fish!)

I don't have too much weight that I want to lose --probably about 10 lbs -- and actually I'm more concerned with inches than pounds because of the old "muscle weighs more than fat" thing. That said, I'm losing about 1 pound a week or so, or an inch everywhere each month. It just seems to be taking for-frickin-ever [sigh]. I expected the weight to dissolve when I quit drinking 3 1/2 months ago, and it didn't. Am I being too impatient? Would more HI activity speed it up? BTW, I'm around 40, so I know that my age has something to do with it.

Thanks, thanks, thanks again! It's so great to be able to ask you these questions. :thanks2:
                        LilBit,

First and foremost that is an amazing regimen! I am highly impressed, keep up the great work!

As far as doing "HIIT" (high intensity interval training) I would highly recommend it. Our body's store about 300-400g of glucose in our muscles, and this number is generally maintained. When burning energy our body's generally use about 50% glucose and 50% fat. When performing "HIIT" (high intensity interval training) you can actually alter those numbers! If for example you sprint 10mins and then walk for 2-5 and repeat the process for lets say an hour, you actually will burn into your glucose more in that hour since glucose is easier for your body to use up . Now, earlier I said our bodies will try to maintain that 300-400g of glucose, so if the bank is now low your body essentially is running on fat until it regains that level of glucose again. This effect can last for up to twelve hours.

But, I would only recommend doing this type of activity 2-3 times a week to prevent injury, which can set you back.

Second, your caloric intake needs to go up. I know this will sound crazy but your body needs the fuel! You should be around 1900-2200 calories, since you are already following the small meals regimen this should not be hard at all. You will notice when you do this that your weight will start going down faster, and most important STAY DOWN!

again if there is anything else I can do please let me know, KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!

Comment

Fitness Advice

Rusty-576;693524 wrote: I am so glad you have started this thread....I walk every morning 5k..and have for many months...have be AF for over 14 months.....I am at a good gym but no trainer is there in the am when I can go....
                          I have been trying to do weights....but really am not sure that I have the action right.... is there any way that you could give some tips to make sure that I am in the right position for the full benifit ... and any idea what would be better... I want to regain my upperbody strength...can do many sit ups well about 10 minutes...my core is getting pretty strong......and my legs are getting strong too!!
                          Hey Rusty,

If you could PM me your e-mail address I will send you two basic upper body routines to get you started. Attached will be a detailed description and video with each exercise so that you perform them safely, most importantly keeping you out of harms way. i.e. injury!

Thanks!

P.S. ten minutes of situps is impressive! KEEP IT UP!

Comment

Fitness Advice

Hi Truth,
                            Your advice to EAT MORE caught my eye! I am 55 years old, very active in the summer with biking and gardening daily, yoga weekly, other stretching and strengthening for my bad back twice weekly. In the other months I swim twice weekly, continue those routines for my back. My weight has been stable for the past few years, but I would like to lose 10-15#, get back into a size 8. I know I will never be a size 6 again, lol! Every time I cut back on my calories, I lose a couple of pounds the first week, then nothing though I am eating less. I eat quality food, lots of fruits, veggies, and whole grains. I try to eat fruits and raw veggies through the day, to keep my metabolism from dropping. The HIIT sounds like something I should try, I do have 1# weights, but I prefer my current activities over weights. I think I've heard of a diet where you vary the calories every few days. Does that work?
                            My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Fitness Advice

thetruth;693651 wrote: As far as doing "HIIT" (high intensity interval training) I would highly recommend it.

Second, your caloric intake needs to go up.
                              More calories?? You are the Easter Bunny, Santa Claus, and my fairy godmother, all rolled into one! Yay!

I read up on some HIIT routines and tried one yesterday at the gym. HOLY COW!! I thought I was in great shape, and that the basic routine (4-min warmup, 6 sets of 30 seconds at top pace, each followed by 30 seconds of half-pace, then a 4-min cool down) would be a breeze. Let's just say that, by the end of the sixth full-pace set I was glad it was almost over. I will definitely do three HIIT routines each week. Oh, and last night, I could have eaten a horse, hooves and all.

:thanks: again! You rock!

Comment

Working...
                              X