What are you reading today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just finished a great book, The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton. It is a story about a mystery and family. A young girl is put on a boat in England at a young age and ends up in Australia. It is a mystery as to who she is or why she was alone on the boat. Her granddaughter decides to try to solve the mystery of her grandmother's birth and appearance on that boat.

I'm not doing justice in my description of the book. It was a wonderful family tale, mystery and historical book in that the story is told in present and past. There were times when I thought that I had figured it out, only to be surprised.

So, what books are you reading right now?
    ODAT!

I have just finished the Kite Runner by Khaled Hossini. About 2 small boys in 1970Afghanistan. Amir is trying to win the approval of his father so enters a kite flying competition. His loyal friend a low cast servant Hassan promises to help him. On the afternoon of the competition something happens to shatter their lives forever. After the Russians invade the family is forced to flee to America. Amir realises that 1 day he must return to his homeland to find the 1 thing the new world can not give him-redemtion. A fantastic and painful story
    They say that time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself. Andy warhole

last drink 3rd August 2009

Comment

I'm reading/listening to, actually, "Happiness Hypotheses." The links a professor found between and among differing civilizations and cultures regarding happiness. If you ever want to be re-assured that things are NOT AT ALL like we think they are, this is the book! Of course, me being an alcoholic and all, I love having my non-conforming life-long suspicions confirmed!!!!
      "Wherever you are is the entry point." --Kabir

Comment

andaz;695290 wrote: I have just finished the Kite Runner by Khaled Hossini. About 2 small boys in 1970Afghanistan. Amir is trying to win the approval of his father so enters a kite flying competition. His loyal friend a low cast servant Hassan promises to help him. On the afternoon of the competition something happens to shatter their lives forever. After the Russians invade the family is forced to flee to America. Amir realises that 1 day he must return to his homeland to find the 1 thing the new world can not give him-redemtion. A fantastic and painful story
        I wish my daughter had been able to enjoy it as much as you have, it was one of the books for her english literature A level exam
        I love you, I'm sorry, please forgive me, thank you.

Comment

Happy Birthday Gold
          It's time I put my big girl pants on. :grannypants: I hope they fit.

Comment

andaz;695290 wrote: I have just finished the Kite Runner by Khaled Hossini. About 2 small boys in 1970Afghanistan. Amir is trying to win the approval of his father so enters a kite flying competition. His loyal friend a low cast servant Hassan promises to help him. On the afternoon of the competition something happens to shatter their lives forever. After the Russians invade the family is forced to flee to America. Amir realises that 1 day he must return to his homeland to find the 1 thing the new world can not give him-redemtion. A fantastic and painful story

I really enjoyed that book - very haunting ending. Have you seen the movie? I haven't and I'm not sure that I want to either.

I started reading a chick-lit book by Jennifer Weiner Best Friends
            . It is starting a bit slow, and I'm not sure where she is going with the story. It essentially is about a reunion between two friends who had a falling out in high school. One friend showed up at the other's doorstep needing help unexpectedly.
            ODAT!

Comment

I've just finished the last Harry Potter, had to know how it all turned out. Just started Teacher Man by Frank McCourt, not really 'doing it' for me at the minute, but will persevere.

Julie and Julia, by Julia Powell, has just been turned into a movie, but i loved the book so I don't know if I'll see it, ifyou like cookery you'll love the book.

If you run you'll like ''what I talk about when I talk about Running, Haruki Murakami, is great.

If you like dogs "the Art of Racing in the Rain', Garth Stein, is good.

"The Return" by Victoria Hislop, is set in the Spanish Civil War and tells the story of one family. I enjoyed the flamenco references and the History I didn't know!

I love to read, its a major escape. I need reading glasses now though and can never find them.......I'm not getting one of those string thingies yet though.

Bets.
              Proud to be SLIGHTLY SLOVENLY.:wavin:

[/COLOR]

Comment

The Year 1000: What Life Was Like at the Turn of the First Millennium

Rereading this: Definitely my favorite author and one of her best books. Doomsday Book

Recently finished:

Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience

Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed

Why Is Sex Fun?: The Evolution Of Human Sexuality

Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies

Another Connie Willis but not her best at all:

All Seated on the Ground

Just picked this up at a garage sale. I'm sure it will put me to sleep pretty well in the next few weeks: American Lion: Andrew Jackson in the White House

Comment

Boss.Man - I really enjoyed the Doomsday Book too. Didn't they make it into a movie?

Sweaty Betty - Have you read My Life in France by Julia Child? I read Julie Powell's book and I enjoyed it, but I really loved My Life in France and I have never even seen Julia Child's PBS show.

Reading is one of my favorite escapes too.
                  ODAT!

Comment

Zeppie2;695525 wrote: Happy Birthday Gold
                    Thanks zeppie!
                    I love you, I'm sorry, please forgive me, thank you.

Comment

BossMan,
                      I love that concept of flow: the just right challenge in life. They call the author Mike, though I can't spell or pronounce his name.
                      My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Just finished reading Best Friends by Jennifer Weiner. It was O.K. - not one of her better books.

I'm not sure what book I'll read next - sort of in the mood for a historical fiction, or maybe a mystery/suspense book.
                        ODAT!

Comment

Since I last posted, I finished reading The Apprentice by Tess Gerritsen - sort-of a suspense / thriller novel. Very quick read.

I am finding that reading is helping keep my mind off of AL! So, bear with me as I update my list on this forum. Maybe there will be a book that interests somebody else too!

Currently reading The Summer Affair
                          by Elin Hilderbrand. It is about a women who appears to have the "perfect" life. However, what seems perfect from the surface is not all that it seems and the main character starts a love affair at the risk of losing all that she holds dear. It is a very chick lit type of book - but it is a quick read and I'm looking forward to seeing how the author finishes the story.
                          ODAT!

Comment

I read a lot of biographies but at the moment I am just finishing Paul Williams book CAB. He is the no.1 crime reporter in Ireland. It is the story of the Irish Criminal Assets Bureau founded in 1996, after the murder on the street of a top reporter, to tackle crimelords where it hurt them, in their pockets. They have confiscated millions in criminal's bank account funds worldwide, property, prestige cars, pleasure boats, you name it. CAB consists of a unit formed from the police force, tax officials, customs officials and social welfare. It proved so successful that it has be used as a model to set up similar bureaus worldwide. A good read if you like that genre.
                            Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

I'm busy reading "Why is God Laughing" - Deepark Chopra.
                              It is a story of a successful comedian and his friend and how they overcome fear, egotism and addiction (the three major obstacles to joy) and they learn how to become more optimistic.
                              I am really enjoying it and some of the one liners are hilarious! I can't wait to finish it.
                              "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Working...
                              X