Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

View on Baclofen / Naltrexone

Hi,
    I’ve been taking Baclofen, about 30 mg a day for about a month. I drink about 14-18 UK units every second day. I am male, 30 years old, about 5'8 weigh about 70 kg's.

I've found Baclofen from comments here only worthwhile at much higher dosages.

I feel I have to quit or moderate alcohol now as im experiencing continued liver tingling and depression from the effects.

The only AF time I have done recently was from using Campral, it worked for 2 months.. however I’m not going to take 6 tabs a day at 2x3 per day for the future so i gave up on it. I'm too forgetful or busy to be able to maintain that level.

I cannot get Naltexone in my home country : Ireland, according to the doctors I’ve spoken too.

My studies here from this forum indicate that Naltexone might be better suited for me, but i cant get hold of it.

My summary of the 2 drugs goes

Baclofen:
    Very high number of tablets to take per day
    Inexpensive.
    Results seem to occur only at high tablet intake.
    Some side affects as been reported on threads at this site.
    My own side effects have been lucid dreaming and sleepiness.
    Freely available to anyone through international websites.
    Less proven

Naltrexone:
    Low dosage after time
    Not freely available( I cannot get a source in Ireland)
    Expensive.

Anyone have any thoughts on what I should do ?

Hi Blue,

Are you looking to moderate or abstain. My experience with Naltrexone was short lived. For me there was no effect. I would take a tablet before the bewitching hour of 5pm-7pm and I would still drink a bottle of wine or more. I did not feel like I wanted less, nor diminish the effects of the alcohol. Also Naltrexone had no reduction of cravings...again for me.

Baclofen has proven to work the best. I actually notice a reduction in cravings, a lessening of anxiety and better sleep. For me that is a win, win, win! Yes, you have to titrate up slowly and remember to take the pills at the times that you have set. But think of the alternative? Endless cycle of drunkeness, hangover, recooperation, depression, anxiety, missed work and opportunities, rinse and repeat.

Hope this helps a little. Good luck

Everything I need is within me!

Comment

Hi Blue, and welcome.

I think the amount of bac needed varies quite a bit, and even more if the goal is moderation, not complete suppression of craving.

From my reading of the posts here, I'm noticing a pattern of reduced alcohol use at fairly low levels. It's our natural desire as alcoholics to want to eliminate craving altogether and be "normal" in our drinking, and with that comes higher dosages. As bright asked, what is your goal?

Did you experience any reduction in AL use over the month you took bac?

As far as suspected liver problems, get yourself to a doctor. That's nothing to be trifled with. I'm not sure about tingling sensations. As I understand it, liver problems typically don't have much physical sensation. The nerves just don't go there much. Nonetheless, if you have reason to believe that your liver is in danger, it is something that must be dealt with.

I don't know as much as others around here about nal, its costs, benefits, side effects, etc. Hopefully those more knowledgeable will chime in.

Click here for info about ordering baclofen online.

Comment

naltrexone is NOT an anti-craving med

Brightlite- Naltrexone is ineffective unless you are using it as part of the Sinclair Method. There is information all over this site if you are interested. The Sinclair Method is NOT necessarily a moderation program. TSMers choose abstinence of moderation, but the point is they are free to make that choice.

Blue, we have at least two or more Irish on our boardthesinclairmethod.com • Index page
        and I know they order their meds online.

Best, lena

Comment

Lenaleed,

Yes, I've read the information about TSM. That is why I ordered the NAL. For me, it did not prove to be an effective way for me to deal with the addiction. Again, for me, the Baclofen is more effective. Dealing with the issues of anxiety and cravings is a better way for me to handle the addiction. I do understand that many on TSM are experiencing success. That is wonderful and I believe that each persons path to success is a mixed use of the tools available.

Everything I need is within me!

Comment

Blue,

I can't advise you which way to go but I can advise you to have your liver checked out. That is not something to be trifled with.

One of the reasons I chose Baclofen was my liver. I am still exhibiting signs of liver damage even months out. I have an appt with my doctor, too, but I did want to get sober first. Sigh, we are such dweebs!!

I needed to quit ASAP and simply did not have time to get sober through TSM. But I heartily believe in TSM, I am excited the therapy is there and that it is helping so many of my friends here.

Good luck with whatever path you choose and I hope we get to see more of you around MWO. This is a very good bunch of people who will support you whenever we can.

Cindi
            AF April 9, 2016

Comment

First, thanks for taking the trouble to reply.

To answer the points asked about,

1) Moderation would be ideal i dont mind abstention either if it has to be that way.

2) Baclofen has had no effect on me at 30-40mg daily. I dont plan on taking 22 tablets of the stuff a day like some of the people here which is why ill have to find out if there is a source locally i can get it at.

3) on liver function, a test i had 6 months ago didnt seem to have any blood test indication that showed a problem. I'll have to get a follow up on this as the discomfort im experiencing wont go away on its own...

Thanks again.

Comment

Try www.riverpharmacy.com
                I bought some NAL online and it was sent to me in Australia
                MWO is a blessing, thank you.

Comment

Working...
                X