Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Bac relieve anxiety or Al cravings first?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had severe anxiety/depression for over two decades. This preceded my heavy use of alcohol and was my number one struggle for years to the point where I limited my life in many areas aswell as struggled through my days with distress, frustration, panic . . .

Dr. A's book interests me because he had such extreme anxiety as well, and from what I've read from people's posts and in his book, the anxiety was helped being on back as well as AL cravings.

What I was hoping to find out is if anyone has noticed the relief from anxiety as well as cravings, and if so, which relief came first, the relief from anxiety or the decrease in AL cravings.

Thanks for your help.

j-vo
    Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Hi j-vo!

For me it was simultaneous, and started from the first day. My AL intake was reduced dramatically, and without concious effort. Anxiety was also immediately reduced.

I'm not sure if cravings were reduced, the whole thing with AL intake over the two weeks until I just no longer had the desire at all was a blur. I do know the AL intake reduced immediately. I hadn't conciously noticed a reduction in craving, just that consumption reduced significantly.

Click here for info about ordering baclofen online.

Comment

Hi J-Vo,

I think I noticed a reduction in anxiety first. I'm still trying to monitor how I feel though. As you know, I'm going to 60mg today. Anxiety and cravings are the reasons I'm am on the Baclofen.

Everything I need is within me!

Comment

It seems to me that most people report anxiety is the first to go. To wit, Ameisen reported that during his long stay at 180 mg/day, during which he was still craving (but not as badly) and binging, baclofen "controlled my anxiety better than any of the standard antianxiety medications." (p149)

Comment

For me anxiety was dramatically reduced immediately, cravings took a while but were eventually eliminated, but only after I de-toxed first.

Comment

Bernard,

Thank you for that quote. I just received my book today...so excited to start reading it.

Comment

Brightlite,

Speaking of quotes, I love your tagline: "Everything I need is within me."

I don't know if it was intended as such, but it is the perfect retort to the 12 steps refrain that we are helpless and must turn to an outward source for salvation.

Comment

Eak,

Thank you. I also like that quote. Because, everything I need IS within ME; love and self-love and gratitute for being alive and choosing happiness and basically all the good and power of the universe...ok I'm getting carried away, but I'll admit that I have never been to AA and do not know much about the program. And, I know that the program has helped probably millions. My reasoning is that most people find a social outlet...bars, church, gym...etc. Since my social outlet was never really bars or church, I guess the gym is where I like to go. Yes, even though I drink, I enjoy exercising.

Anyway, I think for some, that AA can be their social outlet, however it never appealed to me and some of the ideas never appealed to me. I do believe the key to being "cured" is a total mind, body, spirit rejuvenation, for lack of a better word. I just work on those things in a different way.

Comment

eakarno;697653 wrote: Brightlite,

Speaking of quotes, I love your tagline: "Everything I need is within me."

I don't know if it was intended as such, but it is the perfect retort to the 12 steps refrain that we are helpless and must turn to an outward source for salvation.
                  I won't get into my perfect retorts vis-a-vis 12-step philosophy... but I'm overjoyed that there is something that can help without demanding a spiritual makeover.

I'm so ready for a life make-over... and the Bac boost might be just what I need.

I will never be able to buy into the spiritual take on this. I'm a buddhist, I'm an atheist, I am also Christian in many regards. I have been through the whole spiritual gamut.

What I don't need is oodles of guilt and apologies to people -- most of whom have failed to help me in my hour of need.

I've got a good deal of anger to throw around, and the 12 steps are not going to change that.
                  Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

What she said -- except for the anger part.

Comment

Beatle, good to see another Buddhist, atheist, and AAA member (the first a is for anti) here.

Click here for info about ordering baclofen online.

Comment

Our posts crossed

brightlite;697677 wrote: Eak,

Thank you. I also like that quote. Because, everything I need IS within ME; love and self-love and gratitute for being alive and choosing happiness and basically all the good and power of the universe...ok I'm getting carried away, but I'll admit that I have never been to AA and do not know much about the program. And, I know that the program has helped probably millions. My reasoning is that most people find a social outlet...bars, church, gym...etc. Since my social outlet was never really bars or church, I guess the gym is where I like to go. Yes, even though I drink, I enjoy exercising.

Anyway, I think for some, that AA can be their social outlet, however it never appealed to me and some of the ideas never appealed to me. I do believe the key to being "cured" is a total mind, body, spirit rejuvenation, for lack of a better word. I just work on those things in a different way.
                        You expressed perfectly what I wanted to/meant to say.
                        Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Comment

The anger thing is probably more appropriate for another forum.

But it is an important element in my healing process... something that seems to be slowly replacing the horrible guilt.

I am so tired of guilt. It has blocked my ability to try to find a way out.

I guess everyone knows that cancer used to be a stigmatized disease. Not so long from now, we may not be viewed as lepers.

Comment

J-Vo,

My anxiety was relieved first. Long before my cravings diminished.

Cindi
                            AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Thanks for all of your input. It's seems as though everyone's anxiety was the first to diminish, and actually that's a good thing for me, as my anxiety can and has debilitated me for years. I haven't noticed much of the Al cravings, although I came home from vacation and was determined to "dry out" and start taking the bac. I've had thoughts of AL and "boy, wouldn't it be nice to have a few glasses of wine," but not to the point where I'm running to the liquor store.

Next week I start back to work after being off 7 months, and by that time, I'll be on 50mg of bac. I'll be interested to see how I handle my anxiety, or rather how my anxiety handles me? It's always been the latter. I hope it can be soon the former. Thanks again for your input!
                              Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Working...
                              X