Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exercise Motivation: Re-engineering the Physical Body

Intro and background:

Hi everyone. This is the start of another one of my essays on how I've managed long-term alcohol, tobacco, and drug abstinence. This is so important to long term abstinence or moderation, I can?t emphasize it enough.

One of the first things to realize, is that your mind or your thoughts, feelings, and awareness are generated by your physical brain. I began the thread on brain waves to address one method of gaining control over what the brain sends our bodies. Your brain IS a part of your physical body. What you think and feel at any one given time, are in part a product of how physically well-adapted your brain/body system is. The healthier you are, the better you feel. The better you feel, the less reason you have to medicate via alcohol or other things. So here goes.

Being an engineer, and having hobbies such as auto mechanics and electronics, I always was attracted to high performance cars and powerful electronic gadgets. I spent a lot of time and money on those things, always striving to get the highest performance from them. Even the computer I?m writing this on has been modified for a higher-level performance. So bear with me, as these interests color my perspective.

For all the time and money I spent on getting my cars and gadgets to a high level of performance, I spent little or nothing on the one machine that is the most important of all, my own physical body. My heavy use of alcohol, tobacco, and drugs was akin to me taking one of my cars, and dumping in bad gas, throwing dirt in the air cleaner, and putting sand in the oil pan. Why did I care more about an automobiles performance more than I did my own physical body? It didn?t make sense.

I had been plagued with terrible back problems, debilitating colds, flu, and digestive problems for ages. I knew that maybe my drinking was partly due to these problems in some small way, but last December I was hit with a bout of bronchitis that quickly turned into pneumonia. The doctor wanted to put me in a hospital, but I talked him out of it, saying I would take care of myself. After two weeks of gasping for air, while sucking on inhalers, coughing, barely able to walk, I finally recovered. I realized that my drinking and other habits were not a small part, but a large part of my problems.

So I approached it from a new perspective. My body is like a physical machine, which will respond to careful, thoughtful, and persistent maintenance and performance improving practices. I would think nothing of spending thousands of dollars to improve my cars and gadgets, but spending hundreds on my own body? The choice although simple, only took decades of suffering to arrive at.

Being an engineering manager at work, well versed in the methods and tools of project management, I applied what I already knew to a new project. The goal was well defined in my own mind. I wanted to be in the best physical condition ever in my life. The project timeline is two years. I?m now into it 9 months, and there remains much to do.

Next post. Defining my Goals.

A few words about my intention here.

As I write this, I have just finished a strenuous free weight workout, also known as ?pumping iron?. I?ve been doing it fairly regularly since I became alcohol, tobacco, and drug free. Looking in the mirror just a short while ago, with my musculature pumped up, I thought ?Wow?. At 50 years old, I am looking far better than I ever have in my life in the muscles department.

I get a good feeling while doing this, which lasts just for a short while. The feeling says, ?There is nothing on earth that could make me want to go back to the booze, the ciggies, and the pills!? Of course, in my abstinence recovery, I must always remember that this feeling is only a fleeting surge of emotional and mental clarity. It is a never-ending job to keep my spirit nourished with things that keep me sober and healthy.

One thing I would like to address, since this is supposed to motivate to exercise, is the perception many of us have about exercise and our physical bodies. To me, my earliest memory of exercise is that of an elementary school physical education coach slave driving me to something I did not want to do. Jumping jacks were exhausting and unpleasant. Running around a track was painful and sickening. If I had my way, that PE coach would have been run over by a car.

But then, I would jump on my single speed little bicycle at the end of the school day, and happily bust my lungs in a race to get home, to play. The play would often be me running or climbing, and exercising myself to exhaustion, and I was glad to do it.

What is the difference? Either way, I was exerting my physical body. Why was only an hour earlier the exercise the greatest of misery, and then when 3 o?clock hit, the exercise was fun?

Simple. One is work. The other is play. Those memories of childhood forced exercise stay with millions of adults to this day, and even now they are still rebelling against that school PE coach that exacted such torture and misery upon us. In some small part, my drinking was another way to forget that domineering coach, and say back to him, ?See! I am grown up, and I am drinking booze! You can?t tell me what to do anymore you killjoy!?

So I can understand when many of you see just the word ?exercise?, and say ?Nope, not for me. Forget you. I am not busting my butt for you. Its hard unnecessary work, and I am not going to do any of it!!?

I will relate something else here as well. Maybe some of you remember a division between the ?athletic? kids, and the ?brainy? kids. As defined in American parlance, it is the ?jocks? vs. the ?nerds?. ?Jocks? worked out, did sports and games, and were sometimes bullies. ?Nerds? on the other hand read books, studied things, liked math and science, and got beat up by ?jocks?.

Believe me when I tell you this one thing. I was, and still am to a degree a ?nerd?. I was never athletic. I was skinny and asthmatic as a kid.

But now I am no longer a kid. I am an adult man, who has been on 50 orbits around the sun. I am a half-century old. That stuff on the school playground is long gone, and that coach has been dead for some years.

So for me, I wanted to return to that kid so long ago, that found joy in riding that bike, climbing that tree, and running with my friends playing games after school. I also wanted to look in the mirror and see something that would please me, instead of disgust me.

Getting intoxicated to the point of blackout unconsciousness every weekend was not going to get me back to those simple joys. I tried, but no amount of alcohol, tobacco, or pills would get me there.

I don?t believe anyone purposely wants to be unhealthy and sickly from excess drinking, but that?s the way it works out. Alcohol is a human specific nerve poison. The real thing here is to begin to find the fun and joy again in doing physical things. That is where I am at now. I now get genuine joy from working out. Riding my bike, running down the road a bit, stretching my muscles.

One thing I thought about long and hard before writing this, were those old school coaches. They took all the fun out of what should have been a joy. The joy of using our physical bodies to move, jump, climb, run, lift, and be physically alive.

Too many writers of physical training books take the line of those old school coaches, or military drill instructors. Its like they say, ?I will force you to feel pain for your own good, and you will like it!? Somehow, I never ended up liking it when I did it their way. I always hated it.

So the point of this post is to not be condescending or cruel. I truly want each of you to reach the joy I know right now, after my workout, and do it your own way. If you are reading this, you have suffered enough.

To be continued?

Comment

Nerds rule!!

In my mind you hit the nail straight on about work and play. I've been wanting to play all this time and have been using other methods instead of focusing on how to play as an adult. Hmm will need to put some heavy thought into this one and try thinking of working out in a different light. I wonder if 50 is a magic number there seem to be a few of us lerking around. Sure wish I had figured out a few things a bit quicker as some of our other members.

Look forward to your posts be careful not to burn out on us!

Spacie

Comment

Working...
      X