Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ride A horse!

Hi everyone-

This is for all those ladies who used to be little girls that dreamed of having a pony, or maybe had one years ago, before all those distractions of adult life took ever.

If you still love horses, it's never too late to take riding lessons. I rediscovered it at age 37, 17 years ago now. I had put it off for years, thinking all the students would be 10 years old, and discovered a whole lot of adults my own age and older.

I know a lot of people here are at a loss of what to do in all their new AL free time, as well as wanting to make new friends. Horses opened up a whole new bunch of people to hang out with, and we all have this one common love and of course can spend hours just talking about it as well as doing it.

It is great exercise, and always remember the saying "the outside of a horse is good for the inside of a (wo)man".

Much love to all and greetings to other horse people here!
    ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

Ride A horse!

Hey Dancealot, congratulations on doing something you have dreamed about and love. I love happy stories like this. I had horses when I was a kid, my grandfather was a horse trader, he traveled the auctions all through Missouri, Kansas, Iowa and Minnesota and always had a horse for me to ride. I've lost interest over the years but am happy it is working out for you.
    vegan zombies want your grains

Comment

Ride A horse!

What a wonderful suggestion, Thank You! I can't help but wonder, do you dance a lot too?
      Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice.
      - George Jackson

Comment

Ride A horse!

hey Dance!!! this is a FANTASTIC idea! thanks!!!

Comment

Ride A horse!

Hi, cyclefan, MyHeart, 67!

cyclefan - I used to teach riding, and we used to get horses from places like Missouri that horse dealers brought in, and some of them had interesting stories and many were just unknown. The really great ones though, we were like "bring more"! A good lesson horse is quite an asset.

MyHeart- Yes, I do dance a lot, (probably not well!), but I love going out to hear live music especially, and have so much fun, I don't worry about it! I decided even though I'm older, that's no reason to give up fun stuff if it's harmless. Happily, I can still do it sober!

67 - I didn't even think of this as a fun thing down in the islands! If you have a beach to ride on, even better (as a friend reminded me not all islands have beaches, after she went to visit St. Croix)! If it's fun in hot, mostly flat Texas, it'll be great down there!

Oh, yeah, one more thing to former riders - I was originally thinking of just buying a horse, since I'd had one as a kid, but getting some lessons in first was really a better idea, since our bodies, weight, balance are a lot different from when we were kids, and things I knew how to do weren't as easy as my brain remembered them being! Now I've gotten way further along than in my childhood riding, it was just a little more work to get there! I also find any type of riding, whether trail riding or dressage, always leaves me feeling so good inside. At my barn, we have people doing various disciplines,as well as different levels of experience, but we all have our love of horses in common.

Hope you guys get to try it, and have fun! Happy riding!

Much love!!! - Dance
          ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

Ride A horse!

Hi dancelot,

I wanted to learn to ride as a child but didn't have the opportunity, I learnt to play the piano instead, which I may go back to.

I decided to learn to ride when my daughter was about to start university and I had offered to look after her pony. So here I am two and a half years on with my own horse!

I am a late starter having begun at 50, so to coin a phrase, if I can do it anyone can. However, you certainly need to love horses

It does do me good to ride and just to be with horses, they are very intelligent and sensitive animals.
            I love you, I'm sorry, please forgive me, thank you.

Comment

Ride A horse!

Gold;710006 wrote: Hi dancelot,

I wanted to learn to ride as a child but didn't have the opportunity, I learnt to play the piano instead, which I may go back to.

I decided to learn to ride when my daughter was about to start university and I had offered to look after her pony. So here I am two and a half years on with my own horse!

I am a late starter having begun at 50, so to coin a phrase, if I can do it anyone can. However, you certainly need to love horses

It does do me good to ride and just to be with horses, they are very intelligent and sensitive animals.
              Hi,Gold -

I agree with you 100%! We're never too old be kids, again are we? :whee:

Yeah, on days I can't ride, I always feel better even just dropping in to visit. It's so peaceful to sit and listen to them contentedly munch on hay, or take my boy out so he can "mow" the fresh green stuff along the driveway (his special treat since we actually had rain this summer).

Is that your horse in the picture? He/she is cute, and has about 1000% more forelock than mine! My guy is a 22year old (looks and acts 10) appendix Quarter Horse, which is a QH with Thoroughbred blood, a racing bred QH, and looks like a bald headed cowpony.

If you ever feel the need to brag on your horse, you're welcome here, in case you can't tell! :H

Have a great day and give your pony a carrot for me!

Much love - Dance

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

Ride A horse!

Crap Dace.....what the hell do I do now ! ha! IAD
                ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                Dr. Seuss

Comment

Ride A horse!

Ok Dance....what next ! ha! IAD.
                  ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                  those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                  Dr. Seuss

Comment

Ride A horse!

I've thought about doing this so many times.
                    I took riding lessons when I was a kid and loved it. I didn't get as far as galloping but I know how to ride a bit. It really is fun and horses are lovely creatures.

Comment

Ride A horse!

when i was younger i had 3 mares,i also rode bear back lots of times,you needed a strong pair of legs for that.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                      I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Ride A horse!

Thank's for the reminder to get back into riding, Dance, Bravo!

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Ride A horse!

Yep, I couldn't agree more!
                          I started back riding at the age of 40 (when I finally bought my very first OWN horse)... just a word of caution... we don't quite BOUNCE as well as we used to! :H

But it really IS great exercise... just try to go for a 4 hour ride and then walk a straight line (for the next 4 days)... not as easy as it sounds!
                          Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

Ride A horse!

Wow, I was just talking to an old friend about riding. I too rode when I was a kid. Went to a big riding camp two summers in a row and learned to jump old English style and showed at the end of the summer. There are several horse farms around where I live but I haven't found one yet that rents their horses. My friend said it was hard to find them anymore because of the liability..but you have inspired me to keep looking. My husband and I went for a ride a few summers ago and it brought me so much joy!
                            Thanks for the reminder and the inspiration!
                            Namaste'
                            It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness. ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Ride A horse!

We just bought a horse a couple months ago. It has been nothing but fun. The connection one makes with a horse is not describable. Not only is it great exercise, but it is also great mentally.

Comment

Working...
                              X