PDA

View Full Version : Ride A horse!

dancelot
August 22nd, 2009, 05:48 PM
Hi everyone-

This is for all those ladies who used to be little girls that dreamed of having a pony, or maybe had one years ago, before all those distractions of adult life took ever.

If you still love horses, it's never too late to take riding lessons. I rediscovered it at age 37, 17 years ago now. I had put it off for years, thinking all the students would be 10 years old, and discovered a whole lot of adults my own age and older.

I know a lot of people here are at a loss of what to do in all their new AL free time, as well as wanting to make new friends. Horses opened up a whole new bunch of people to hang out with, and we all have this one common love and of course can spend hours just talking about it as well as doing it.

It is great exercise, and always remember the saying "the outside of a horse is good for the inside of a (wo)man".

Much love to all and greetings to other horse people here!

cyclefan
August 22nd, 2009, 06:02 PM
Hey Dancealot, congratulations on doing something you have dreamed about and love. I love happy stories like this. I had horses when I was a kid, my grandfather was a horse trader, he traveled the auctions all through Missouri, Kansas, Iowa and Minnesota and always had a horse for me to ride. I've lost interest over the years but am happy it is working out for you.

MyHeartIsDrenchedInWine
September 4th, 2009, 08:40 PM
What a wonderful suggestion, Thank You! I can't help but wonder, do you dance a lot too?

September 4th, 2009, 08:59 PM
hey Dance!!! this is a FANTASTIC idea! thanks!!!

dancelot
September 6th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Hi, cyclefan, MyHeart, 67!

cyclefan - I used to teach riding, and we used to get horses from places like Missouri that horse dealers brought in, and some of them had interesting stories and many were just unknown. The really great ones though, we were like "bring more"! A good lesson horse is quite an asset.

MyHeart- Yes, I do dance a lot, (probably not well!), but I love going out to hear live music especially, and have so much fun, I don't worry about it! I decided even though I'm older, that's no reason to give up fun stuff if it's harmless. Happily, I can still do it sober!

67 - I didn't even think of this as a fun thing down in the islands! If you have a beach to ride on, even better (as a friend reminded me not all islands have beaches, after she went to visit St. Croix)! If it's fun in hot, mostly flat Texas, it'll be great down there!

Oh, yeah, one more thing to former riders - I was originally thinking of just buying a horse, since I'd had one as a kid, but getting some lessons in first was really a better idea, since our bodies, weight, balance are a lot different from when we were kids, and things I knew how to do weren't as easy as my brain remembered them being! Now I've gotten way further along than in my childhood riding, it was just a little more work to get there! I also find any type of riding, whether trail riding or dressage, always leaves me feeling so good inside. At my barn, we have people doing various disciplines,as well as different levels of experience, but we all have our love of horses in common.

Hope you guys get to try it, and have fun! Happy riding!

Much love!!! - Dance

Gold
September 7th, 2009, 01:31 AM
Hi dancelot,

I wanted to learn to ride as a child but didn't have the opportunity, I learnt to play the piano instead, which I may go back to.

I decided to learn to ride when my daughter was about to start university and I had offered to look after her pony. So here I am two and a half years on with my own horse!

I am a late starter having begun at 50, so to coin a phrase, if I can do it anyone can. However, you certainly need to love horses ;)

It does do me good to ride and just to be with horses, they are very intelligent and sensitive animals.

dancelot
September 7th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Gold;710006 wrote: Hi dancelot,

I wanted to learn to ride as a child but didn't have the opportunity, I learnt to play the piano instead, which I may go back to.

I decided to learn to ride when my daughter was about to start university and I had offered to look after her pony. So here I am two and a half years on with my own horse!

I am a late starter having begun at 50, so to coin a phrase, if I can do it anyone can. However, you certainly need to love horses ;)

It does do me good to ride and just to be with horses, they are very intelligent and sensitive animals.
Hi,Gold -

I agree with you 100%! We're never too old be kids, again are we? :whee:

Yeah, on days I can't ride, I always feel better even just dropping in to visit. It's so peaceful to sit and listen to them contentedly munch on hay, or take my boy out so he can "mow" the fresh green stuff along the driveway (his special treat since we actually had rain this summer).

Is that your horse in the picture? He/she is cute, and has about 1000% more forelock than mine! My guy is a 22year old (looks and acts 10) appendix Quarter Horse, which is a QH with Thoroughbred blood, a racing bred QH, and looks like a bald headed cowpony.

If you ever feel the need to brag on your horse, you're welcome here, in case you can't tell! :H

Have a great day and give your pony a carrot for me!

Much love - Dance

IAD
September 7th, 2009, 03:45 PM
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e89/venacom/crazyhorse2.jpg Crap Dace.....what the hell do I do now ! ha! IAD

IAD
September 7th, 2009, 03:48 PM
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a329/mr_jack100/Rodeo1.jpg Ok Dance....what next ! ha! IAD.

Popeye
September 7th, 2009, 04:16 PM
I've thought about doing this so many times.
I took riding lessons when I was a kid and loved it. I didn't get as far as galloping but I know how to ride a bit. It really is fun and horses are lovely creatures.

mario
September 8th, 2009, 05:44 AM
:)when i was younger i had 3 mares,i also rode bear back lots of times,you needed a strong pair of legs for that.:)

Guitarista
September 8th, 2009, 05:54 AM
Thank's for the reminder to get back into riding, Dance, Bravo!

sunshine_gg
September 8th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Yep, I couldn't agree more!
I started back riding at the age of 40 (when I finally bought my very first OWN horse)... just a word of caution... we don't quite BOUNCE as well as we used to! :H

But it really IS great exercise... just try to go for a 4 hour ride and then walk a straight line (for the next 4 days)... not as easy as it sounds!

namaste
September 8th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Wow, I was just talking to an old friend about riding. I too rode when I was a kid. Went to a big riding camp two summers in a row and learned to jump old English style and showed at the end of the summer. There are several horse farms around where I live but I haven't found one yet that rents their horses. My friend said it was hard to find them anymore because of the liability..but you have inspired me to keep looking. My husband and I went for a ride a few summers ago and it brought me so much joy!
Thanks for the reminder and the inspiration!
Namaste'

grettastone
November 16th, 2009, 09:24 AM
We just bought a horse a couple months ago. It has been nothing but fun. The connection one makes with a horse is not describable. Not only is it great exercise, but it is also great mentally.

IAD
November 16th, 2009, 06:38 PM
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn159/iadiaz/TenleyandHorse.jpg Here's my Barn Goddess riding her Stead ! ha! My daughter loves hanging out at the Barn (UMD) IAD.

rubywillow
November 17th, 2009, 06:19 PM
I got my first horse at 12. We first had Walkers, then Morgans. My daughter took jump and dressage, and still rides. Now, my son's daughters, especially the youngest are really into horses. They have a miniature, Cookie, who's more like a dog than a horse. Grace is 6, but going to an old friend of mine's house who (she and her husband) participate in Olympic buggy (?) competition all over the world. It's a great opportunity for my granddaughter, and she loves it. Just for http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKkmFEmjQ5I[/video]]YouTube - Big and Rich's - Jon Rich "Save a horse, ride a cowboy" (http://[video=youtube_share;DKkmFEmjQ5I)

cowgal
December 28th, 2009, 08:20 AM
agree

Got my first mare when I was 16, my uncle (when he got drunk would promise things.................he promised me either a car or a horse when I turned 16!!? and the next day, said"well since I promised you I have to follow thru") YAY for that, huh!!;)

riding is great exercise for the body and soul!! When I ride long, like gg said, it is a little rough walking (hell, sitting)for a day or 2!!:H:H

I ride as often as possible, another reason I am glad holidays are over, everyone will be back in town, and riding alot w/ me................................don't ride alone for safety reasons, and I have a married couple who HATE to be separated!! Besides, it is more fun to have people to talk to when riding.............................right!?;)

MA:l:h