Has anyone ever experienced this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since I've received such good information from people here in the past, I figure it won't hurt to make the following inquiry on behalf of a friend of mine.

A good friend and fellow boozehound of mine recently quit drinking after noticing that she was beginning to feel a numbness in her extremities. From what she recounted, she awoke after a particularly heaving drinking night and felt like she had lost sensation in her left foot. Her baby toe felt numb, and overall her circulation in that area of her body felt abnormal. It really concerned her because she is not diabetic or anything, and the numbness has persisted after 14 days off booze.

I don't know what to tell her, as I've never experienced such symptoms, although if I had to speculate based on my first-hand knowledge of her alcohol consumption patterns, perhaps she is suffering from a thiamine deficiency? She, of course, is worried that it might be full-blown neuropathy due to chronic alcohol abuse, but is afraid to go to the doctor.

So basically, if anyone has had these symptoms, and in particular, if anyone has had them where they've subsided after continued abstinence from alcohol, any information would be greatly appreciated.

I have had full-blown neuropathy for 5 years, and just only now went to the doctor, because my left leg is totally numb and my right foot is now numb. They are doing MRI tests, but don't know.
    Doctor said I will not lose my foot, by may lose the use of it, maybe?
    Good diet and AF might restore nerves. Let me know how your friend is.... I won't know for a few years yet.
    Good luck
    MWO is a blessing, thank you.

Comment

I have had this too ... good news is it should be repairable.

1) The more AF days the better it;s the breakdown products of alcohol that affect the nerves more than the alcohol itself.

2) Vitamins have blood test to check level especially Vitamin B

3) Low fat diet with plenty of oily fish and fibre.

4) April 2006 all my limbs were numb .... 4-5 months AF OCtober 2006 I was 99% repiered

Hope this helps

Comment

I still have limb numbness after stopping Topa.
        Awake with fingers so numb, you can bite them, i don't feel a thing.
        Never had this before, stopped drinking for many months.
        Have some here and there. (little booze.)
        Has to be neuropathy.
        When my toe turned ill, i thought it to be booze related.
        It cannot be, i hardly drink anymore.
        Taking Multi-Vit.

Yup, i have these probs. too.
        Could it be an age factor?
        Have an extra vertebre,
        crumbling with no reason why?

Previous long term abuse has to be the reason.
        An Improved Ripple. :monalisa:

Comment

can be vitamin b deficiency - best to see a doctor tho to be safe
          one day at a time

Comment

Working...
          X