Taking Antabuse - just used mouthwash!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I took a dose of Antabuse today as my wife is out of town and I was feeling weak. As I was getting ready to settle in for the evening, I brushed my teeth and, without thinking, used some mouthwash. As soon as I finished, it dawned on me that I probably should not have done this. I feel okay, but I'm worried that I could get sick. I didn't swallow the mouthwash - just swished and spit it out. I looked at the label - it's Act mouthwash and has 11% alcohol - am I going to get sick?

I don't know enough to say. Could you call the pharmacy and ask the pharmacist? It doesn't seem like it should do much since you didn't swallow it. Think positive and drink lots of water.

Comment

You'll be fine. Very little ethanol is absorbed through the mouth and throat (although you'll get amazing breathalyzer readings this way). The level of acetaldehyde you'll get, even though much higher than without Antabuse, will be low and tolerable without great distress.

In the long term, Antabuse is not a good bet. I'd try baclofen, particularly if you drink to calm anxiety or nervousness. Baclofen may actually cure you. (And don't listen to people who try to define "cure" for you as meaning that you don't need to take drugs. Drugs that are good for you are good.)

Comment

JS81;699720 wrote: 11% alcohol
        11%?? Shouldn't it be on the booze shelf?
        Hope you were OK last night. Antabuse worked very well for me - it was exactly what I needed at the time.
        sigpic
        AF since December 22nd 2008
        Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

When I tried Antabuse previously, I was having lunch in a nice restaurant and ordered the she-crab soup. After eating it I felt flushed and then I was embarassed. I later asked the waiter if there was alcohol in it. They put sherry in the she-crab soup. BTW it is the best in the world, but I probably won't order it anymore.

Everything I need is within me!

Comment

Working...
          X