Toprimate Start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toprimate Start

Hi all. I'm sort of new to this site. I received my Toprimate from Aclepsa on Tues. and started at 25 mg. after dinner on Tues. Aug. 25, 2009. I will keep informed on my progress and side affects.

As of today, I've only taken two doses so far and just opened a bottle of Chardonay. Sure not gonna lose weight that way!

I quit smoking on April 16, 2009, with the help of Chantix. Chantix also helped me not to drink. After about two months AF and not taking chantix anymore (expensive), I still am smoke free (miracle) and I mean serious miracle! I drink about 1.5 to 2 litres of wine every other day or so.

Gained weight due to an antidepressant my doc put me on. Elavil is horrible, but worked a miracle for my insomnia. Insomnia is one reason I retired early. Also gained weight from quitting smoking.

Started an exercise program and I am finding out just how out of shape I am. I have the My Way Out Book. Just need to get myself away from t.v. and read it. I have read a ton of books on "the problem".

I am 55, retired government worker.

Toprimate Start

Hi CJ,
    I dont take Topa, but just wanted to say welcome and I know how you feel about gaining weight from the stopping smoking! I did too. I have lost some now thankfully.
    But very well done on quitting, if you can quit that, you can quit drinking I am sure!
    Good to see you here,
    Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
    Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Toprimate Start

I titrated to 50 mg on Monday 8/31 . No big noticable side affects. Accept, tonight I am drinking alot of pinapple vodka and club soda. I can correct my typo tomorrow. I feel guilty I did not exercise today.

Comment

Toprimate Start

I've been on Topomax for a little over a week, 50mg a day. I definitely have a reduction in cravings of about 75%. Its truly amazing. I no longer have the little mouse on a wheel in my brain running around thinking about when is it 5:00? Is it time to drink yet? Huh? huh? Huh? nor that tight craving feeling in my chest that feels like a knot. I'd LIKE a glass of wine, but I don't feel like I'd knock down kids and old ladies to get one, if you know what I mean. :new:
        Go before that fire there, at the altar of your heart
        That fire of who you really are and be consumed by it fully
        Surrender everything into the fire of that love until you are one with that love. You ARE that love.
        Tilak Pyle Altar of the Heart

Comment

Toprimate Start

LOL Phoenix....that's an image.

Everything I need is within me!

Comment

Toprimate Start

Topa helped with my cravings almost right away, but in order to stop completely, I titrated up to 200mg. I got pretty dopey at that dose, but it did the trick. I titrated down after being sober a year, and then took 50mg for quite a while. I am noticing some mild cravings, so I might start back up on it again.

I wish you success, but you may not notice a change until you are taking a somewhat higher dose. For me, it was 75mg when my desire to drink lessened a great deal, and I started drinking a lot less.

You can learn to drink "over" the topa, though, as I learned. It took me three times before I stayed sober more than 3 weeks.

All the best. Good luck and work hard!
            AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Working...
            X