Hi all, advice please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all, advice please?

:new:I've tried quitting many times, most successful was for one whole year about four years ago, and then seven months last year. Only managed about three weeks recently.

Have read RJ's book and found it wonderful, but have a few questions:

I'm already on antidepressants, valium, naltrexone and campral (obviously not working that well!) and am wondering if the baclofen or topamax would fit in with these, or replace some of them? Have to ask my doctor of course, but my husband is just about to give up on me. The only thing keeping me going is that I have two beautiful daughters who need me.

What about the kudzu and the CD's - has anyone followed the programme using all the supplements, or just some of them? Have the kudzu and wondering if that would help on its own.

I am a very heavy drinker and have never stopped at one glass, perhaps one bottle on a good night!

I've ready many of your posts, and find them very inspiring, but can't seem to get exactly the information I need.

I'm hoping to get better soon and as today is 1st September, I think that's a fine date to start being sober.

Warm regards.

Hi all, advice please?

:welcome: just like to say welcome and keep reading the threads as you will find one that suits your needs,it is a great site.

Comment

Hi all, advice please?

:welcome: I'm glad you found us. My doc hasn't had much success with patients on Campra, but yes. we do have members who experienced that mental "switch" with topomax and the supplements RJ recommends. L-glut is particularly helpful for cravings - buy the powder at Health food stores and you can't o.d. on it.
      Enlightened by MWO

Comment

Hi all, advice please?

Thanks - good to hear from you.:thanks:

Comment

Hi all, advice please?

L-glutamine

Hi, is the L-glutamine powder preferable to the capsules? What dosage do you recommend?

Comment

Hi all, advice please?

hi jane,wow,your a walking drug store,are you drinking on vallium,thats nasty,your brain says yes,your body says no,offel combination val and boose,actually lethal,ive done what your doing,and you want to add more meds,obviously youve experienced the withdrawl from booze,nothing compared to coming of val and whatever else your taking.im not a doctor,but if i were , and idid,have the xperiences your having,i would get my but into a doctor and get help,b4 its to late,i do wish you well,gyco

Comment

Hi all, advice please?

hi lozzy jane i keep on trying quitting too had 6 months up untill about a month ago when i started drinking again and had the worst relapse ever. im not giving advice and you are on so many meds but i am going to try the sinclair method with naltrexone i really hope that will work for me, i have tried campral and lasted a couple of months on it then when i drank again my doctor wouldnt perscrib any more so am going to buy of net. i too think i couldnt carry on but for my children. i have been in a 12 step treatment centre which was awful they seemed to think bully would get me better and also been to aa meetings but dont like them i have tried but not into the religious thing anyway i do hope we all get the help we need i will write here again and say how i go when i get my meds

Comment

Hi all, advice please?

Hi Gyco
                Thanks for your response - but do you really think that's helpful for me? You don't know my history and you don't know what dosage I'm taking.

Comment

Hi all, advice please?

Hi spacebebe
                  Thanks for your reply - that was really thoughtful and helpful. I didn't actually want anything but help here, and don't need negative responses about what meds I'm on - so thanks for not commenting or crititising. It's tough starting out. Thanks for your support.

Comment

Hi all, advice please?

Hi again Gyco, I'm upset that if you have 4,289 posts and are a senior, couldn't you be a little more sensitive to someone starting out?
                    I'm feeling really bad and am obviously seeking support and help.

Comment

Hi all, advice please?

LozzyJane;706066 wrote: :new:I've tried quitting many times, most successful was for one whole year about four years ago, and then seven months last year. Only managed about three weeks recently.

Have read RJ's book and found it wonderful, but have a few questions:

I'm already on antidepressants, valium, naltrexone and campral (obviously not working that well!) and am wondering if the baclofen or topamax would fit in with these, or replace some of them? Have to ask my doctor of course, but my husband is just about to give up on me. The only thing keeping me going is that I have two beautiful daughters who need me.

What about the kudzu and the CD's - has anyone followed the programme using all the supplements, or just some of them? Have the kudzu and wondering if that would help on its own.

I am a very heavy drinker and have never stopped at one glass, perhaps one bottle on a good night!

I've ready many of your posts, and find them very inspiring, but can't seem to get exactly the information I need.

I'm hoping to get better soon and as today is 1st September, I think that's a fine date to start being sober.

Warm regards.
                      hi jane was the comment about this,by the way thnx for emailing me,if you took it offensively i have to apoligise,i did not rt what i said to offend,i said ive been in your shoes,maybe in a different degree,my dear i was out of it,took me years to get where im at,kinda like a circus ride,the drugs did for me ,as much as Al,at 1st,a lot of doctors havent a clue about alchoholism,gyco

Comment

Hi all, advice please?

Hang in there LozzyJane, I have been here for about 4 months. Although I have had only ONE degrading experience here, the support is tremodous...and I have heard from Geico several times and am positive he meant nothing degrading to you.

Please continue to be honest here, we all all here for the same reason. Sometimes to vent, and sometimes to support, and sometimes for both. Please hang with us. It's amazing some of my close buddies here let me go on. I think if I gave them my address they would physically come over and kick my butt (after they made me shower...yes, I was THAT depressed).

Welcome my dear, and my best wishes for you with this horrible struggle. KEEP POSTING!!
                        Give a man a beer, he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, he'll waste a lifetime.

Comment

Hi all, advice please?

Thanks Colbe and Geico, perhaps I did misunderstand!

Appreciate your supportive comments everyone.

:thanks:

Comment

Hi all, advice please?

Hi LozzyJane
                            Just ignore the negative posts - like you say no-one really knows your own situation and the finger pointing isn't helpful. God knows we go through enough guilt and self kicking on our own without having someone else pointing out the bleeding obvious.

Like Sheri says, everyone is different so i would definitely discuss it with your doctor before trying anything on top of what you are already taking because you just don't know what the combination may end up doing to you if you try mixing it up on your own.

Good for you for coming here and looking to help yourself get out of this shit way to live - that is such a huge step in itself. I made a brain change for the sake of my kids cos I didn't want them doing what I did and that was to copy the exact same behaviour of my alcoholic dad. I'm only a couple of weeks into it (again!) and have slipped up and been a right idiot in that time but i also made some big changes like not buying any wine when I go shopping now and that one little change has made a huge difference for me. If you need a focus for why you are doing what you are doing, your kids are probably the most powerful thing available.

By the way, I have been using Kudzu only but I when I upped my dosage it caused irregular spotting and bleeding and when i dropped back i found it wasn't really that effective. It does thin your blood so I wasn't surprised that happened. Ah, I wish i could find the magic cure.
                            I'm not a flip flop - I'm a Jandal!:undercover:

Comment

Hi all, advice please?

good luck

Comment

Working...
                              X