• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mod Squad September Thread ;)

"Spring is when you feel like whistling even with a shoe full of slush"
    ~Doug Larson

Morning friends and lurkers.

It's a new month, the perfect time to make new goals, renew our commitments and revise our plan.
    Last month I was not successful with my goal of being AF for 30 days but I was successful in being Sugar Free for 30 + days and beyond so I'm pretty chuffed about that.
    Lets make every day in September count.

Strength and love to all:h
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Mod Squad September Thread

september

Dearest modders - another new month awaits fresh andd new with no mistakes in it yet. Lets make it a good one.

Thanks to Deebs yet again for starting us off, as she so often kindly does.

I too had wanted to be AF in August, but with the death of MIL and what have you the timing was off. I am not concerned that I was not AF, as I was able to moderate well through a period of regular drinking which I dont usually do. To date I have followed the SUNBEAM occasional drinking thing and wondered how I would do if I moderated and drank more often. Well, it seems I can do it pretty well and especially when one considers the events and emotions surrounding it. I am dead pleased with myself. That said I am back to generally not drinking and making sure I am ok with that. September will not be an attempt to be AF as there are a couple of events at which I will want to have a couple of drinks, so it will be the normal, try and avoid it most of the normal time and just drink when a special occasion falls. As my best mates wedding falls this weekend, there is no way I am missing a little bit of Champagne then.

I am thinking very seriously about having an AF October because no events fall then and its a good time before Christmas to do it. I am also thinking I might have a couple of sessions a week with a personal trainer just for that month to really up my fitness level still further and motivate me.

So those are my thoughts at the present time. Life is good. I am off for a long weekend tomorrow. First to see a recently bereft FIL, then to BEST FRIENDS wedding, so emotionally rollercoasterish. I have elected not to drink WED and THURS and SUN. Just to allow myself the two days of the weddings FRI and SAT. So friends...wish me luck.

I wont be posting for a few days now, so will catch up with all your September news when I return...sorry for long message, just wanted to have a waffle.....

LOVE MOO
    "The greatest thing in the world is not so much where we are,
    but in what direction we are moving."

Comment

Hey everybody,
      Deebs, both spring and fall are energizing! We are holding those ends down.

Moo, I also am of a mind for more AF time, but I don't like to think of more than two weeks at a time. It just seems too long. I could easily go longer than that, but I don't want to "have" to.

Hey SaraSmiles, how are you today? Are those kiddos back in school yet?
      My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

IN a way I know what you mean SUNBEAM. When I originally did my two months AF it seemed liked a very long time to start with, but on the other hand once my brain accepted that I meant what I said it came easier. There is a period of two weeks in september I can get in completely AF hopefully. I think your reclection might be a good way to look at AF time though, in smaller blocks of time. x
        "The greatest thing in the world is not so much where we are,
        but in what direction we are moving."

Comment

Hi felllow modders. I am starting into week four and so far so good. I am being very careful about this and sticking rigidly to my plan of action. This includes another 30 days AF starting 1st Oct so Mooderator I will buddy up with you if you decide to go that route for Oct. Very early days I know but I am having no problems with cravings or stoping at my predeterminded 1 or 2 drinks. I do however need to keep an eye on the frequency because it would be easy to up the days which would be a really bad idea for someone who was a daily drinker for years. Still taking the sups, eating healthily and exercising a few times a week. So far so good. Wishing you all the best for healthy, happy, sober September.
          KTAB
          Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Hello Modsters

I'm finally able to get on the PC after very long school hols. Plan is to AF 5 days and mod 2 days up to Christmas.

Luv
            Bx

Comment

Mad Mummy,
              Welcome back! I hope those (long) school holidays created some good memories. How did the business of alcohol consumption go for you?

KTAB, I am so glad to have your company in the low frequency camp.
              My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Hi Modders,
                No, alas, Sunbeam, the kids don't go back to school until Sept. 9!!! I am enjoying them about 70% of the time. It's tough to fill the days when I'm trying not to spend too much money, and they are restless and wild. I took all three to the pediatrician's this morning for check ups. What a chaotic scene. They simply can't sit still...the doctor thought they were fabulous, and they are. But they have so much energy!

I was AF for two days, and today I started thinking about wanting a drink at around noon. Not good. I held off until 5:00, and have now stopped at 2. But it was definitely drinking in response to mood, which I KNOW is not healthy, and yet I find so compelling.

The boys are wild and screaming even now, and I must go. Love to all. Sara
                "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

My craving hits in at work at 4:00. Driving home about 5:30, I think there is no way to resist. But each evening I say I'll take the supps, drink a can of something AF, check my e-mail, log in here, and then decide whether to drink. I've done all that, it is 7:00, and the craving is totally gone. So Day 14 drawing to a close. It is so encouraging to read of all of your successes. And even when there are little stumbles, it is wonderful to see you get right back up. Thank you everyone and have a good evening.

Comment

So glad your dad is getting out of the hospital DeeBee. Have a great time at the wedding Moo. It sounds like everyone is doing really well. You seem to be handling your cravings very constructively Maisie. The being tired after work is when I have thoughts too, so I'm making sure I have a snack then. My husband got home from his trip and I have gotten back on track and have been AF for 4 days. It seems like I only have problems if I drink more than a couple days in a row. If I stick with just an occasional drink I do fine. I'm also going to the gym and eating very well.

Comment

Morning all,
                      My body is still having a rough time getting back into the swing of work, but I'm so glad to be back. The class of kids we have this year is really a great group. I feel as though this will be the best year of my life, personally and professionally.

I'm on baclofen now. I've titrated to 70mg and have noticed a decrease in my anxiety, decrease in the days that I'm drinking, but still need to continue increasing the meds until I hit that "off switch." I'll let you know of my progress. Dr. Ameison's book, End of My Addiction, has given me so much hope. I struggled with severe anxiety and depression long before I became dependent on AL, and in his book, that is what Dr. A also struggled with. His anxiety has reduced dramatically, as well as his complete abstinence from AL and cravings. I hope to get to the point of "I can take it or leave it."

Deebs, it's so hard to believe that we're on opposite ends of the earth and that your spring has sprung and our fall is just beginning. I love fall, it's just what comes after for those 4 months that I've always struggled through. This Christmas, we'll be going to visit my parents in Florida for some warm weather and fun. That'll be a nice break from the cold weather. We'll actually be in Walt Disney World on Christmas Day! I'm glad you're chuffed about your progress with the sugar and have gotten through a very difficult period. Hope Dad is doing well. BTW, is the word "chuffed" in the dictionary? Is it a slang term?

Moo, hope you have a successful weekend!

Sun, you sound as good as ever. When I get some other things under control, I'd like to hop on your exercise wagon. I also want to lose 20 lbs. and I'm at that age where it's difficult.

KTAB - great to see that you're doing so well. Stick to the Sunbeam's occasional drinking. The frequency is what kicks us in the ass!

Mad Mum, great goals. Good luck.

Sara, enjoy your last summer days with your little kiddies. You have three boys?

Maisie, nice to meet you!

Louise, Deebs, mentioned about H.A.L.T. Try not to drink when you're Hungry, Angry, Lonely, or Tired. Gosh, I think the "A" stands for angry.

Have a great day everyone. I won't be back until after Labor Day. We're going to visit folks in Philadelphia this weekend and take in the historical sites. Just so you're not confused, parents live 6 months a year in Philly and 6 months in Florida!
                      Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Louise,
                        Reducing the frequency was a big milestone for me. When I drink once weekly or less, I have no cravings. If I have alcohol twice in a week, I definitely feel the difference regarding how much I think about alcohol. It takes a week for alcohol to get completely out of your body, so within a week the effects are cumulative. I love it that I never drink any more when I don't really want to.

Comment

Good September All,

I am always in awe of people like you, j-vo, who remember what everyone said and can say something warm and personal to each poster. I always get lost, and if I go back to check, I lose my message!!

But it sounds like everyone's off to a good month and happy with the successes of last month. I just came back from a tiny anniversary trip across the boarder. I didn't drink too much, but I did drink for four days in a row, so now I'm on day 2 of at least 3 days AF. I may have wine on Saturday.

I like your plan, Moo, of choosing days to be AF. I've been doing that by the week, but think I'll try it for the term. Wed and Thur I teach late, so they are AF for sure. Hmmm, the other two may rotate as Sun, Mon, and Tues are all good candidates. Or why not all AF?? Good question, but I'm sure you've all nodded off here as I talk to myself online ;-)

Celebrate the fall or the spring with a smile and a big breath of fresh air!

Comment

Hi Mods

I am back to join you after a summer of not modding. Suddenly something "clicked" and I realized what I was doing to myself by drinking almost every day. I wasn't over drinking almost every day, but that cocktail after work plus a glass of wine with dinner and two or three on the weekend nights was taking a cumulative toll on my body, mind and spirit.

This time I worked the plan backward, instead of abstaining I started exercising, taking kudzu and Sylmarin, and creating an internal dialogue that was positive to a healthy body, spirit and mind. And so it happened, one day I came home from work and didn't drink. One weekend I had one drink instead of three. I already know what 30 days is like, what 65 days is like, but this time I wanted a different experience with alcohol, in fact I wanted to be indifferent to it. And it is working. Suddenly, something clicked.

I have been waking up clear, my sleep is deep. I feel so good in the morning now that anytime an alcohol craving does come I can truly and honestly ask myself how I want to feel in the morning. If I want to feel good, I don't drink. I have given myself permission to drink whenever I want to though. I'm using drink tracker again, it's a great tool.

Anyhow it is good to see so many meeting their modding goals and I'm delighted to be in your company again. xo Beth
                            vegan zombies want your grains

Comment

DancingGirl,
                              I'll give you my secret trick for being able to address everyone. I keep a little notepad next to my 'puter and when I go online, I go back to my last posting, and write notes to people that have posted, then type my post! I know, not rocket science, but pretty darn close to it.

Cyclefan, nice to see you here. Sounds as though you've got a good plan in place. One question, what is sylmarin?
                              Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Working...
                              X