• Show
Clear All

Teenage drunkeness worst in UK

BBC NEWS | UK | Education | UK teenage girls 'worst drunks'
    sigpic
    AF since December 22nd 2008
    Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

hi marsh i heard the same but other nations are catching up,i was listening tto somthin th other day eventually kids will be able to have a drink whenever,no age limit,viable marketing,then will have havoc,until the system opens there frikkin eyes,nothing will be done,trust me the addiction market is one of the best in the world,billions would be lost and you think people are out of jobs now,it will never change,thnx for the thread tht was a good vent positive tits have a good day gykes

Comment

Hi Gyco,

About other nations catching up: I saw a piece on the news yesterday about young Italian going out specifically in order to get drunk, which us Brits have been doing for years, but Mediterranean Europeans have always seemed to drink sensibly - a few glasses of wine with a meal - until now.

One young Italian guy said he "learnt" how to go out and get ratted while he was studying in London. Ahem.
      sigpic
      AF since December 22nd 2008
      Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

Hi Marshy and Gyco,

I read a news article last week about binge drinking and it actually contained the sentence "binge drinking is part of our culture" an oxymoron if ever there was one!

Gyco makes a good point about the addiction industry and the billions it generates. I've long thought that the government in the UK, and I don't suppose it is unique to the UK, is verging toward genocide, I know that is an exaggeration but there is so much effort being put into dumbing people down through the education system, drugging us up, and atrophying our brains with mindless tv.

It is such a shame that Mediterranean Europeans might be following suit.
        I love you, I'm sorry, please forgive me, thank you.

Comment

Of course teenage drunkeness is going up, how else would teenage pregnancy/underage sex rates remain stable inspite of growing rates of obesity in our country:P

and yes, I am joking

-TG
          When I was a kid I thought I wanted all the things that I hadn't got, but I learned the hardest way

Time to get what I'm really looking for 17/03/10

Comment

It was only a few weeks ago looking at panorama on tv about the violents is getting out of hand through teenages drunkeness. On the program they want to change the system in the pubs so that you would have to queue up in a line to get a drink and only allowed to buy 2 drinks per person, the reason for this is to slow the drinking down. But they were saying the supermakets like tesco is on top of the lists, blaming them for selling cheap booze thats where it all starts from. i work there and can see it,,, all there shit, promotion offers on AL doesn't help one bit at all.
            Cornwall or somewhere there is one of the worst place for teenages to go to they dont ask for ID there, they all go there when they pass there exam's to celebrate.
            If a person doesn't look 25 i have to ask for ID, sometimes i get grief but im only doing my job.
            Formerly known as Teardrop:l
            sober dry since 11th Jan '2010' relapse/slip on 23/7/13 working in progress ! Sober date 25/7/13 ( True learning has often followed an eclipse, a time of darkness, but with each cycle of my recovery, the light grows stronger and my vision is clearer. (AA)
            my desire to avoid hitting bottom again was more powerful then my desire to drink !

Comment

Big shout out from the UK!! Yeah it's pretty bad - teenage pregnancy rates, binge drinking rates.

I tell you why I drank as a kid -which actually has nothing to do with being an alky luckily, most don't take that path - there was nothing else to do. No beaches, no good weather to go out and do stuff - just the odd crappy youth club if you were lucky.

Plus you're brought up either badly (cos you had a parent who lived on a sink estate and 'bad behaviour' is the norm) or with low self-esteem. I sometimes look at US shows and people will either openly admit to or come across as loving themselves. For some reason this is absolutely taboo in Britain- we either feel silly about it or see it as a bad quality pertaining to arrogance.

I think things are changing, but to be honest some of it is no little too late. I am not having kids, and the state of the Uk is among my reasons.
              Recovery Coaching website

"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." - Carl Bard wl:

Recovery Videos

Comment

Ooh plus, did you know that Iceland has one of the highest suicide rates? You know when? During the seasons when there are only a couple of hours of sunshine - I bet the UK hits the list pretty high on depression due to SAD due to near-constant gloomy weather. Someone please give me some stats on that if you have any. Sorry guys I love a debate about the state of my country. Mainly because I'd love to know how to fix it.
                Recovery Coaching website

"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." - Carl Bard wl:

Recovery Videos

Comment

Working...
                X