• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

homemade hot sauce is easy!

heres' what I made this morning. this couldn't be more
    simple.

into the cuisinart or blender throw:

-fresh chilis (I used about 20 green serranos)
    -about 6 cloves of garlic
    -about a rounded tablespoon of grated fresh glangal root
    AKA as Thai ginger
    -about a rounded teaspoon freshly toasted and ground
    cumin seeds
    -zest of one lime
    -salt to taste
    -enough peanut oil to make a light paste/heavy sauce.

whiz that up and be careful! I think it would take chrome
    off a Harley. I'm still sweating just from a couple little
    tastes. wooooo doggy!
    nosce te ipsum
    (Know Thyself)

sounds great - recession-proof. Did this find its way into your chili at the Chili Cook-off!?
    Woman takes a drink, drink takes a drink, drink takes a woman.

Comment

Sounds great; I've been wondering what to do with that bottle of cumin seed. Is Thai ginger different from regular ginger root?

Comment

Sorry Det. Never heard of glangal root. Can I substitute something I weeded up from my garden. Probably not. Please advise.
        Rest in Peace, Bear. We miss you.

Comment

Mags I made a thai soup and the recipe said you could use regular ginger root instead. The soup sucked but I don't think it was because of that.
          sigpic
          Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

greeneyes;710286 wrote: Mags I made a thai soup and the recipe said you could use regular ginger root instead. The soup sucked but I don't think it was because of that.
            oh no! poor Greenie. sorry to hear that. yeah you can use regular ginger, or omit the ginger entirely. no rules. but if you've never smelled fresh galangal root it's quite an experience. it smells like an exotic flower you've never smelled before.

Puddytat, no I didn't actually cook anything at the rib cook-off on Sunday. i just played 'tourist' and wandered around making a pig of myself. oink!
            nosce te ipsum
            (Know Thyself)

Comment

thats sounds yummy i have to try this this ...thankx det
              :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
              best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

Det, what a yummy combination! Can you find galangal root at Whole Foods or Fresh Market, or whatever gourmet groceries that sell unusual things? I have never noticed it before. Twenty serrano peppers would certainly take the chrome off a Harley.
                If you do not live the life you believe, you will believe the life you live.

Comment

ya sure, ya betcha, I got my galangal at whole foods.

however if you really want to enjoy the flavor of galangal without the mouth searing effect of the raw chilis....just try making your favorite curry and add the galangal instead of ginger. and add lots! I slice it in large pieces so that I can remove it prior to service.
                  nosce te ipsum
                  (Know Thyself)

Comment

fresh galangal root it's quite an experience. it smells like an exotic flower you've never smelled before.
                    thanks, everyone, for this introduction to galangal. Fresh ginger root is still amazing to me (grew up with the ground powder only) ... now something new akin to fresh ginger to try.

Dets - glad you enjoyed the cook-off without the brain fog and lure of the beer tents! :thumbysup:
                    Woman takes a drink, drink takes a drink, drink takes a woman.

Comment

Hello

Thanks for sharign with us its really nice to make it home ,,,,,,
                      Drug rehab

Comment

Determinator;710470 wrote: oh no! poor Greenie. sorry to hear that. yeah you can use regular ginger, or omit the ginger entirely. no rules. but if you've never smelled fresh galangal root it's quite an experience. it smells like an exotic flower you've never smelled before.
                        Ah so...... I must find some!
                        sigpic
                        Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Working...
                        X