how do i stop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how do i stop

another day of waking up hungover and promising myself i will not drink tonight only to go out and get another bottle of wine. I dont know how to stop and i need help before i ruin my family

how do i stop

:colorwelcome:

Hi Trias,

You've taken the 1st step.

Good, safe place you've found here. Lots of good. kind and wise people.

Keep reading the posts.Keep posting. SHOUT if you're struggling. There's someone on here 24/7.

Soon the names you'll see will become familiar.

Wishing you all the luck in the world.

Love Jackie xxx
    It could be worse, I could be filing.
    AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

how do i stop

Hi trasi and welcome to the forum.

For me putting the drink down was easy but I couldn't stay stopped because I couldn't deal with life without alcohol or drugs for any length of time. Like you I so wanted to turn my life around because I was loosing my sanity. The material things didn't matter as far as I was concerned I just felt spiritually dead inside and substances falsely filled that gap for me for over 20 years. I'll be honest I was scared of change and doing things differently because all's I'd ever known was how to get wasted to deal with life. So I can appreciate how scary it is to want to stop drinking but feeling so fearful of not drinking and having that crutch in you life.

Keep reading and posting trasi. As Jackie said, you've taken a big step just joining up and posting. Lots of lovely people here who will share themselves openly and honestly with you about their own struggles which I hope you'll ID with.

Love and Light
      Phil
      xx
      "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
      Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

how do i stop

Hi Trasi

I have been on here since 11am BST, haven't been off much today.

Keep on as much as you can, it has stopped me so far today. If I can get to 10pm it will be a day under my belt.

Comment

how do i stop

Hi Trasi, this place is a true blessing ... stay on ... go into chat too. Lots of smart, compassionate people here. Distract yourself ... baby steps ... a little at a time. Opt for progress, not perfection
          Cuckoo for Cocoa Puff!!!

Comment

how do i stop

Hello, Trasi!

Glad you found this place! As Janka said, stay close. It is what saved me in the beginning!! I live in a small town and buying a bottle of wine a night was my normal routine. For me, talking about it here, and talking and talking! It is a great comfort to talk to people that truly understand. It is hard, but we have all been where you are, so keep talking.

That and make a plan! It is so important to not have that alcohol around. There are some that can keep it in the house, I am just not one of them - still. I can be around it when socializing, but if it is at home and I am alone, I think I may drink, so I just don't take the chance. Early on I would have a talk with myself before I drive home (even log on here); I did my grocery shopping in the mornings; I saw a lot of movies; and when all else failed, I would just go to bed early..

Anyway, good luck and stay close.

Namaste,

MM
            Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

Comment

how do i stop

I too and struggling to put the drink down,I'm back to reading the posts and trying to find support and encouragement in people's stories.I think I'm getting some hope.

Comment

how do i stop

Hi Trasi & Mary- welcome.

xo

Comment

how do i stop

thank you to every one it makes me feel better to know iam not the only one struggling with this.I have made myself a promise that tomorrow will be a new day and start for me. I will keep you all posted with my ups and downs

Comment

how do i stop

Hi Trasi, you will get a lot of support here. It's a good thing to post on the Newbie's Nest and join the journey with other newcomers. We have made good friends here. Good Luck.
                    Enlightened by MWO

Comment

how do i stop

One bit of advice from me is to get rid of the alcohol in the house. And take walks (with no money unless you can trust yourself not to go to bars).
                      I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

how do i stop

Hi Trasi,
                        Well, reading the posts, there's lots of good advice already.
                        Just be kind and patient with yourself, and set yourself small achievable goals. There's a wonderful sense of pride and happpiness when you achieve your first couple of evenings Af (Alcohol Free). Go for it!

Comment

how do i stop

trasi;710299 wrote: another day of waking up hungover and promising myself i will not drink tonight only to go out and get another bottle of wine. I dont know how to stop and i need help before i ruin my family

you made a good choice joining MWO. there is
                          a way out.

we all know how drink ruins lives. READ< READ> READ> right here.

You can change, it takes work, you have started.

Huggs>:l
                          An Improved Ripple. :monalisa:

Comment

how do i stop

Hi Trasi~
                            Don't give up- I just joined yesterday! I've been trying to stop the wine for years. I have a 18 month old grandson that has given me the reason now. I want a glass of wine right now and sitting here at my computer is the only thing keeping me from it.

Comment

how do i stop

I received an overload of support today from my friends here...so I am sending you some to share, with a hug.
                              Give a man a beer, he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, he'll waste a lifetime.

Comment

Working...
                              X