Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thursday, September 14th

Hi:

Okay, had a bad week last week--fourteen glasses of wine, when I am trying to limit it to a total of 7 or 8 per week. Monday and Tuesday were AF, last night drank four glasses of wine, and am contemplating how nice a glass of wine would be right now. However, I don't keep it in the house, and my husband will not comment if I go out to the store but he will raise his eyebrow eloquently. That's almost worse. He says he doesn't think I am an alcoholic and that I worry too much about it but it is apparent that I like to drink. He says I'm anxious and it makes me feel better. This is true. His mother was a terrible alcoholic and died of the effects in her fifties, so while I want to believe him, I also think that this is worrying me and therefore I need to feel more in control.

Weight--last September, after feeling progressively worse from about March, I went into a total slump. Gained 20 pounds (at least, I am avoiding the scale) in one month, felt somewhat depressed, anxiety off the charts, memory and organizing abilities shot to hell. I knew, knew, knew I was hypothyroid. Went into the internist 3 times over the summer, and he kept saying the tests were within normal limits. His attitude was annoying--kept saying I was depressed--but I could take all the iodine I wanted. I've been going to him for 15 years, so this was uncalled for. Besides, I know depression, and this was not it. Finally tracked down an endocrinologist (apparently they are rare around here) but it took until December 30 to get in. Then I had to wait 10 days for the tests. It was like crawling through a desert. Tired, anxious, but insomnia as well. But, tah-dah, tests came back, endocrinologist said that if I wasn't hypothyroid who was? Meds began to work after about three months, but unfortunately the weight is only slowly going off. Bought 5 pairs of "fat pants" last Sunday, because all my winter clothes do not fit. I'm following the Weight Watcher'sprogram which has always worked for me before, so I am hoping for some success here. Incidentally, I have a new internist, also a new gynecologist ( a woman, wow, what a difference), and the endocrinologist wears his hair in a ponytail and tells jokes. So things are coming together, I hope.

Now, if I can avoid the wine tonight. . .
    Ellen

Thursday, September 14th

Hi Ellen,
    Hang in there. Sounds pretty frustrating dealing w/docs & all... but when is not...? Living in a small town here, doesn't leave many options, unless you want drive 90 mi. & each way & God only knows when you'll get an appt... so it's basically a whole day off work for Dr visit... But worth it sometimes!
    I'm thankful I can at least get my p-scrips filled here w/out having to go outa town
    My Hubby does that same thing, with his little look & comments about wine! He can drink all the beer he wants, but he thinks I need to be careful of how much wine I'm drinking... When in reality, He's drinking more than I am!... I know! I'm the one that picks up all the God damn beer cans that he can't seem to be bothered to put in the recycling bag! Don't get me started on that one!!

Hope you're feeling better. I just got off work a while ago...just unwinding... thanks for letting me vent a bit!:l ...Judie
    The only thing worth stealing is a kiss...:flower: zwink:

Comment

Working...
    X