Anyone heard of or tried Alcolim?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whilst perusing a link listing the side effects of Bac on the drugs.com website I came across this which was listed just below the MWO website at the top of the page.

Historical Background - Alcolim

It would seem by reading the testimonials that it's not necessarily effective for total abstinence but can help reduce your alcohol consumption drastically.

How does it work?
    The natural ingredients in Alcolim are able to rebalance brain chemistry which leads to a decreased craving for alcohol and results in an overall improvement to your health.

I'm just wondering if anyone has ever heard of Alcolim or has anyone tried it before?
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

That looks interesting- but very little information considering they claim to have been around for some time.

I want to quit drinking : Discussion Board soFeminine

It is mentioned at the above link- it looks interesting, I hope someone else might be able to give more info.

Comment

I think I will try it...I have been on the bac for a while and am doing much better but have trouble titrating up without having extreme tiredness- I was planning when I finish work next week to have a few days where I can stay indoors and sleep as much as I need to, but this would be great if it worked...I would prefer something natural if poss- I can always go back to plan A.

I am just surprised if it is so good why we haven't heard of it before...

Comment

S#%t! I lost it. I thought I had managed to make a new thread with my answer, but it apparently never went through.

Let's see if this works, and if so, I will write another laboriously researched thread =-)
        Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Reposting this from the Arghh thread:

Now I got through on another post, I have a suspicion that the problem is one of the links embedded in the message. I will try eliminating one and posting again here:

Ok, will try again from the start. Please excuse typos, I am too busy and frazzled to write the whole over carefully…

The main ingredient in Alcolim is pyruvate. Pyruvate has been around for a while, mostly marketed as a supplement to aid in weight loss and also muscle-building, I think. If you google this, you will get a lot of sites, none of them relating to alcohol. If you google “pyruvate and alcohol” You will also get a number of sites, but a quick perusal shows that none of them really seem to be focusing on the alcohol.

There is one “comprehensive review” of pyruvate which doesn’t mention alcohol at all, but gives you a good idea of what it is, how it’s used, and the general assessment by professionals.

PYRUVATE: A COMPREHENSIVE REVIEW ? 1997 - 2007

One more interesting article, with the intriguing title “Why Alcoholics Drink” (finally, the answer!:H), explains the connection between hypoglycemia and alcohol and how pyruvate fits in. It’s very interesting (but still not very conclusive as to if pyruvate is an appropriate treatment for alcoholism).

Still, I think there is some important information in this article, even if you are not interested in the pyruvate (or Alcolim).

Here is the address:

(Here I am omitting the link that I think might be the problem -- if this gets through, just google it -- I think this article is really worth reading.)

My feeling is that pyruvate might be a helpful tool, like many others discussed here (like kudzu, which is also mentioned in the above article), but I don’t think it will be as effective as Bac… still, different things work differently on different people.
          Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Comment

Thanks for the input Beatle and sorry about all the posting issues -- that would drive me to drink!

I too was sceptical. Like Marbs said "why haven't we heard of it before"?
            Even after a thorough search in the MWO archives which caused me to loose a couple hours of my life came up with no mention of Alcolim.

Now you've got me even more interested in it because of the weigh loss benefits which I desperately need help with. This was also another reason why I wanted to give Bac a go was because of the study which was done with binge eating.

I am interested to hear if anyone has used pyruvate.
            "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Thanks so much for that Beatle.

The more I look at it, the more unlikely it seems- it is only stocked by 2 sites that I can find, the site Deebee found and another one for that sells supplements for stomach troubles (seems it can help IBS).

However, since results should be known within a month, it doesn't seem too much of a risk to try a bottle, as Deebee says it may help with weight- I can always do with a bit of help there.

I will order today and keep you posted.

Comment

Weight loss, less drinking, IBS relief--sounds too good to be true. I'm looking forward to seeing if anyone posts who has used this product. In doing some internet searches, there doesn't seem to be any risk of serious side effects, so it may be worth trying.

Comment

Both the distributors mentioned on the site have no history or internet revelence...seems they are very new.

Basically with my current cash situation being what it is, I don't really want to spend about $60 on pyruvate which elsewhere sells for about $10 just because of the alcohol connection. Mind you I have spent 100s certainly going into the 1000s on supps that havent help me (or haven't helped much) over the years- I guess 60 more wont hurt.

I am not going to stop the bac- I am slightly scared of tritating more but will do son as soon as I finish in the shop!

Comment

I'm not sure what you're saying, Marb... are you going to try it or not?

If you can afford it, I can't see any reason why not to. As you say, it doesn't seem to have side effects-- it is natural (although that certainly does not preclude side-effects) and, who knows, maybe it will help you.

I hope you will keep us all posted.

Comment

p.s. about the supps -- even if you haven't noticed any "real" effects, the supps have almost certainly helped your body as you detox, and are essential in helping you repair the damage.

Comment

beatle;713492 wrote: I'm not sure what you're saying, Marb... are you going to try it or not?

If you can afford it, I can't see any reason why not to. As you say, it doesn't seem to have side effects-- it is natural (although that certainly does not preclude side-effects) and, who knows, maybe it will help you.

I hope you will keep us all posted.
                        Sorry that I wasn't very clear!

Yes, I will try it, but maybe against my better judgement is what I meant to say

I have the feeling it is basically only pyruvate which sells for around $10 elsewhere, but until I try it I won't know as that information doesn't seem to be available anywhere.

I will order now- it shouldn't take too long to get to me as it seems to ship from the UK, and I am in Spain.

Fingers crossed!

Comment

I would like to try it as well, Marbella. If we both order it are you insterested in starting a periodic check-in thread on our progress? Although, I'm not sure if there will be any trouble having it shipped to the U.S.

Comment

Hi there guys,

That would be really awesome if you could do a thread on this Alcolim thing, I will definately be checking your progress.!! Good luck

Indiv

Comment

I found this on Gut Doctor:

"Alcolim is a patented natural formula developed by Russian born scientist Dr O.V. Galkina, an internationally recognised world leader in her field. Alcolim's unique formula balances neurotransmitters in the brain. Originally used as a formulation to deal with cravings for alcohol, it has more recently proved effective at relaxing the gastro-intestinal system in cases of IBS caused or exacerbated by stress. Because it naturally rebalances the neurotransmitters in the brain, including serotonin, it naturally enables a calming effect and a natural feeling of wellbeing that renders cravings unnecessary. Alcolim does not encourage any form of dependency."

I love this line:

"it naturally enables a calming effect and a natural feeling of wellbeing that renders cravings unnecessary. "

As if cravings were ever necessary!

Comment

Working...
                              X