Going to try My Way Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going to try My Way Out

I have been drinking a minimum of one bottle of wine a night for 2+years and it is starting to take a toll on my life. I have gained about 30 pounds, I look old, and I have had blackouts. I think I am high functioning as I work full time and seem to do okay but at night it is crazy...

I lost my dog of 11 years 6 weeks ago and I am really in pain now and wine doesn't help.

Does this program really work? I don't think I need to give up wine completely but just want to be normal again....

Going to try My Way Out

hi bonniemarie,
    i am very sorry about your dog.
    i really am. when i lost my dachshunds i just lost it.
    i won't go into the details but i think you've come to a good place. you are right, drinking won't help.
    you have to cope with the pain. my suggestion would be to get up tomorrow morning and go to the local shelter and bring somebody home.
    i said i never wanted another dog as nobody could replace my two little sausage dogs.
    i lost one in 2003, and the other in 2004. Far more than I could cope with. (yes, i'm still dwelling on this but much better now).
    i adopted an elderly dachshund last summer.
    it was the best thing i could have done. i still call her by the my previous female dog's name, but i don't think she cares.
    she knows we love her and need her as much as she needs us.
    maybe you might consider giving up wine for a while until you get a hold of things.
    welcome bonniemarie.

Comment

Going to try My Way Out

Hi bonniemarie,

Welcome to MWO, glad you found us!
      This program definitely worked for me and for many others. I am sorry you lost your friend, that is difficult. Drinking won't help, you already know that!
      Have you read the MWO book yet? You can download it & read it right away, then make your plan. There are many aspects to this program, you'll have to decide what is right for you. It is recommended to get 30 days AF (alcohol free) under your belt before deciding to try to moderate your drinking. Most people say they can't moderate, I know I can't. I have found it much easier to just stay AF - takes the pressure off! Do lots of reading, there is a lot to learn.
      Please feel free to join us on the 'Newbies Nest' thread in the Just Starting Out section.

Wishing you the best.
      Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Going to try My Way Out

Welcome, bonnie. When I lost my dog, Buck, of 16 years, I was so devastated. It took me two years before I could get another, but Ruby and my cats are the light of my life. I think you already know the wine makes the sorrow so much worse.

You ask if the "program" works. I'm still a relative newbie, but there are many versions of what the program looks like. I find the strength of this place is the accomodation for many points of view and variations of how to deal with this problem we all share. For me, 30 days AF seemed too intimidating. I was able to commit to 14 days. There is a thread that only asks you to commit 7.5 days AF, and then decide if you are in for another 7.5 days. For some, that goal is a little less overwhelming.

I'm struggling with hurt now too, and I hope to see many future posts from you, bonniemarie.

Comment

Going to try My Way Out

Welcome bonnie,
          MYO defineately works. Its a great place for friendship, support and information. I hope you find your way out.

Comment

Going to try My Way Out

:hello2::colorwelcome:

You're in the right place,bonnie.

Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw your name. My 1st dog was called Bonnie!

Good safe place. Loads of support. Keep reading. Keep posting. SHOUT if you need help.

We're with you all the way.

Love Jackie xxx

AF (alcohol free) since 7/7/2009

PS if you want to talk dogs, I'm willing to talk all day.

:l
            It could be worse, I could be filing.
            AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Going to try My Way Out

Thanks to all of you for your answers. It is very comforting. It is morning and I made it through another night (after my bottle of wine). It is funny as I never drank my whole life and why did I start two years ago? Crazy.... I will take your advice and join some of the groups mentioned. I would like to try the smaller AF days but it feels like I can't do it yet. I did read the book and ordered the tapes and have my appt with my doctor next week to ask about the RX. I don't think she will go for it. ... I also set up a visit to the therapist but am scared I won't do it.... Thanks again for your help..

Comment

Going to try My Way Out

Welcome Bonnie
                Was that your dog in the avatar? Is it an Irish Terrier?
                this site definately works if you are ready to give AF a go. It's a great place for support and friendship and also a place to have a good laugh or get a cyber hug when you are having a good cry.
                It's time I put my big girl pants on. :grannypants: I hope they fit.

Comment

Going to try My Way Out

Bonnie,
                  I believe that the methods described in the MWO program mostly do not work to enable people to drink "normally". The people here who give up drinking are much more successful. The support is wonderful, and there are many good ideas for resisting the urge of alcohol. In order to control alcohol, you first need to learn how to live your life without alcohol.
                  My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Going to try My Way Out

:welcome: bonnie there is great support and advice here,hope you join along as you are most welcome.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                    I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Going to try My Way Out

Wecome bonnie,so sorry to hear of your loss.
                      Pets do become part of the family and no amount of wine will change this,just probably make you more depressed and emotional.It did for me.
                      I'm on day 2 af and moderation is not for me.Sunbeam's right,we have a problem with drinking normally.It is not an option for many of us.
                      This site will help you immensely and even if you do fall off the wagon(i have done at lleast 5times) you will never be judged,critiscised or frowned upon.
                      You'll be welcomed back with open arms and loads of love & support.
                      You couldn't have come to a better place!!!

hugs & prayers
                      annie
                      "Just when i was getting used to yesterday,along came today"
                      Bring it on!

Comment

Working...
                      X