help! confused as to wether abusing alcohol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

im a typical student who is wanting to do nursing! but recently my mum expressed concern over my drinking. this was due to me being taken home by the police and from friends expressing concern to her. i normally drink a few times a week, however it is normally to get wasted. i frequently suffer blackouts and dont remember my nights. i was wondering as to whether this is classed as alcohol abuse and if so what should i do. i dont believe i have a drinking problem as i can go days without having a drink. any help would be greatly appricieated.

Hi Beefa and welcome

Only you can decide if you have a drinking problem but the fact that you are here says a lot. And even though you only drink a few times a week and feel you can go without it, the part about getting wasted and blacking out is definately not healthy.

You should stick around and read and post as much as you can. Try going AF for 30 days and then see how you feel.

Sending you tons of support.
    :l
    Ak
    :flower: I'm not as good as I'm gonna get, but I'm better than I used to be.

Comment

thanks for that! i guess its just a really hard thing to think about!

if anyone else can help i would appreiciate it!

thanks

Comment

Hi Beefa and welcome,

Your mom should be concerned. You must be young. That's how it all starts out. If in the beginning you already are having blackouts and don't remember anything, that is a tell tale sign of a problem. If when you first start to drink, and you cannot stop at one or two, that is a good indication that alcohol abuse is in your future, if you don't do something about it now. Don't wait until you are in your 40's or 50's like many of us are. It is way to difficult after many years of habitual drinking to stop. It's pure insanity.

My advice to you is put all your effort into your studies for nursing. Don't let the drink ruin it. Please take care of yourself.
        Miss October :blinkylove:

Comment

Hey Beefa, read a few stories in the "My Story" section. You'll see a lot of people (myself included) started out just partying when we were younger...but there was a difference between myself and some of my friends, always had to take it that bit further I did.
          Anyway, you're young so you have the opportunity to educate yourself here and do what's best for the rest of your life. If you do that you may be one of those lucky people who can moderate, but you'll have to start putting practices into place NOW...it's a slippery slope my friend. Try not to go down it.
          Wish you well.
          xo

Comment

Beefa - it's great that you're becoming aware about alcohol abuse at early age. It gets Worse the longer you do it!

My personal opinion is that if you drink "to get wasted" and have "blackouts" - that's serious. (That's not a criticism - just an observation.)

Glad you found this site. Look around (as others have said). You'll find there are ALL types of "drinking problems"...

Good luck & Welcome!
            Sometimes you have to take the leap and build your wings on the way down... Anais Nin

Comment

Hi beefa and welcome!

I want to congratulate you on the courage to get on the internet and seek help options. :goodjob: Answers to your fears. Options. Are there others like me? What did they think? What did they do? Are they OK? Am I OK?

I'm going to cut right to the chase here and this is just my opinion. No more than that. No, what you're doing is not OK. You know that. Please jump in with both feet and get a plan to redirect your path. There are so many incredible people here to offer you suggestions and support, but you must fight the fight. Start now! We will all help. Welcome aboard.
              sigpic
              Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Binge drinking among young people is very dangerous, and sadly considered OK buy the affected. It does more damage, and quicker, than other kinds of drinking. I agree with Greenie - you have developed a dangerous pattern, and it quickly becomes more self-destructive. Try to learn as much as you can from other's stories. I'm sure when you decide on a plan your Mom will be your strongest ally against this disease.
                sigpic
                Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
                awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Beefa... it is hard to talk about!
                  you are a strong person for acknowledging a potential problem now and not wait for it to blow up to take action.
                  i used to be able to stop when i was younger too and then when i hit 32-33... that was it. i didn't care what i did.
                  it's been almost 10 years.
                  Keep reading and posting here... the longer i don't drink the more aware i become of my old habits.
                  good luck!

Comment

Like many others who have replied, your story is similar to mine. When I was younger although I may not have drunk every day when I did drink I was having blackouts and would never just be able to have 'a cou[le'. Please, please can you get some help? I was offered counselling when I was younger and turned it down which is something I really regret. There is so much more awareness now of drinking problems in younger people, it is nothing to be ashamed of as so many have similar problems to your self. Do you have a good GP? It sounds as if you have a supportive family and friends. Good luck with Nursing!!

Dora

Comment

Not only is this type of drinking leading you down a dangerous path for your internal health, it is very dangerous on other levels. There are too many creeps out there that could harm you when you are that drunk on a night out.

Be very careful
                      good luck nursing
                      It's time I put my big girl pants on. :grannypants: I hope they fit.

Comment

Hey, I'm in college too. It was hard for me to accept my drinking problem since everyone in college abuses alcohol. Every last one of my friends is a hard drinker. But the issue for me is that I'm not comfortable with it. I beat myself up about it and I was losing myself to the drink. I lagged behind with my studies and drank more frequently than most, despite my relatively lower tolerance.

Comment

thanks everyone. you have given me a lot to think about

thaks again

Comment

Best to you. I never had a blackout until I began drinking more in my early 30s---up until then I was just your "average" social drinker. Believe me, it can spiral out of control at any age.

Just be mindful.
                            Jane Jane

Comment

Nursing school is very tough. I know. But it's worth the effort. Good luck...I wish this site was around when I was in college the 1st time. I might be a brain surgeon by now (heh, heh...only kidding. I dn't like their hours)

Comment

Working...
                              X