Avoiding temptation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Avoiding temptation

This is designed for moderators so for those of you who are AF, please disregard the statements that apply to occasional drinking.

1. Make your plan
    We all know how important this is. Make a plan if you are planning on drinking. If you take supps take them on planned drinking occasions. Many studies have shown that L-glut (especially) can reduce cravings.

2. Start with a non - al beverage (especially if it's going to be a long night). At a party I hosted recently I didn't allow myself to have a glass of wine until the food was served. In the past I would have been sipping the minute the guests arrived. We've all heard to drink slow- have a non-al beverage in between. Be prepared for non-al beverages (especially if you are going to someone else's home) as they may not think to offer water/ seltzers etc. in between drinks.

3. Be careful of what images of drinking you allow yourself to see before you take that first or next drink. Rather than picturing the relaxed nice buzz feeling image - concentrate on how you feel the next day - imagine how you look with blood shot eyes or puffy or tired eyes from too little sleep. Remember how you feel, anxious, depressed, possibly humiliated or remorseful.

4. Learn to procrastinate. If you have the urge for that 1st drink and don't want it or the drink that should be your last one and you want another - think to yourself "I'll just sip some water/seltzer, etc. and wait 15 min. Keep trying to wait it out until the urge passes.

5. Use distraction. Get busy with a task, physical activity, or some type of mental pursuit that gets your mind off of drinking. Turn to someone for help! Come to MWO - go to the chat room, call an understanding friend.

6. Picture yourself with a caption underneath your name. I like to put the caption of what an Uncle said to my husband about me once "She should hear herself on a tape recorder when she's been drinking". Not nice - but could work from preventing that first or last drink I shouldn't have.

7. Substitute an image other than alcohol. Picture yourself with a tall glass of seltzer with grenadine and a lime twist.

8. Figure out your triggers and avoid them when able. My trigger is drinking at home. Not a good idea for me to open a bottle of wine thinking I'll have only one or two at the most as in the past I have failed doing that. I can go out (hubby drives) and have one or two and be fine but the bottle at home doesn't work for me. Record when things haven't worked for you and don't repeat the behavior.

9. Use the ignoring technique. Just as you ignore a child having a temper tantrum so you're not rewarding the bad behavior by giving it attention (even negative attention) ignore the thoughts of having a first or last drink but just repeating ignore, ignore or just say STOP!

10. Learn meditation which can help you control your thoughts. Use a mantra that helps you. AA has some good ones and encourages members to use: "One day at a time" "This too shall pass", "Easy does it", etc.

If all else fails, remember the negative consequences script. This is the one where you must replay in your head those memories of when you yelled at the kids because you were drunk or hungover and wouldn't have done that if you had remained sober, the time you had a fight with your S.O. because alcohol was involved, the time you woke up and couldn't remember what you had done the night before and were embarrassed by what you had said or done to someone, something you did wrong morally because your inhibitions were lowered. Really give yourself the memories before you take that first or last drink and say to yourself Is it worth it?

Hugs,
    Eve11
    "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Avoiding temptation

Wonderful post!!

I'm printing it now...thank you.

:l
    Ak
    :flower: I'm not as good as I'm gonna get, but I'm better than I used to be.

Comment

Avoiding temptation

What a fantastic post Eve!!
      Thank you so much for taking the time to share -- this is just what I needed.
      I too have printed it out.
      Love Dee
      "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Avoiding temptation

Thanks Eve, your post has been a great help
        :dancin: enguin:
        starting over

Comment

Avoiding temptation

This is a great post Eve..thanks for sharing.
          "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
          NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Avoiding temptation

Thanks bunches for this, Eve. My favorite strategy is to just drink less. The less you drink on an occasion, the less you will go over your limit. The less you drink during a week, the less likely you will be to go over your limit on a different day. The less often you drink during a month....
            My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Avoiding temptation

All excellent reminders....great post. x
              "The greatest thing in the world is not so much where we are,
              but in what direction we are moving."

Comment

Avoiding temptation

Sarasmiles,
                Bumping this one up for you for tonight.:bump:

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Avoiding temptation

Lagrl & Bear73,
                  Bumping this one for you!
                  :l
                  Eve11

Comment

Avoiding temptation

thank you - does help i am drinking tomorrow and sunday but not today - max 3 drinks tomorrow and same sunday.
                    will report back on progress - hopefully finished work for 2 weeks today - tho may have to go in or be called up.
                    one day at a time

Comment

Avoiding temptation

Hello there my dear old friends, Eve 11, Sunbeam, and lil' sis Deebee!

I received a notice to some thread that I guess I have been subscribed to, in which there was some recent activity, and that brought me back on here... it's been a looooooong time.

Thought I'd come in to see what was up with the old Mod Squad... looks like a lot of the old crew has moved on... but still some of you guys here, which is so nice to see, not to mention that the Mod Squad remains alive and kicking with new peeps around.

Miss you guys, and hope that you and your families are all well these days, going into the new year season.

I am still in Beijing, but I plan to re-locate to India early next year, with a little luck. It's cold as all-hell here in Beijing these days... thinking of Deebs who must be sweating in the high summer months in SA! What a strange round ball of a world we live in, isn't it?!

Anyway, as an update: my moderation has been pretty good the last few months. Earlier this year, my partner and better half finally moved here full-time. So we have been together and that has helped me curb my appetite for blitzing out a whole lot, since she isn't much of a drinker.

I still have my drink in the evening... but it's the glass of wine (or two, sure). And not every evening... it's more like, every other evening. So, an evening off every couple of days... which means 3-4 nights a week with a drink or two on those nights. On the non-AL drinking evening, I replace the wine or the 2 glasses of single malt, with cups of green tea instead... and it feels good that way.

I guess what's also important is that thanks to my better half being around and cooking and taking care of me, etc, not being left to my bachelor ways, I eat well, good home-cooked, healthy food, and I eat a lot of fruit, as well as drink juice, etc. So that goes a long way to make me feel better, and I really haven't had a big hangover in ages... fruit and lots of non-AL fluids during the day. For me, I feel this mkes all the difference, and I feel cuts down the "overwhelming" desire to sink into too much wine when the evening comes around.

So moderation IS working for me. I get my buzz on, yes, but I stop with the buzz. Mostly. And that's really nice. And it's something I can live with.

Love you guys. Take good care. I'll try to check in sometimes... I have wanted to, but my life just got busy, and I stare at the computer all day long as it is with work and the world of email and being in touch with family/ friends (since I live away from them)... which is why I've been away, cutting down time in front of the comp as much as I can.

Time is the greatest gift.

Merry Christmas to you all, wise, lovely people. Have a healthy holiday season, and a wonderful new year. Filled with patience, and more wisdom.

Zed

Comment

Avoiding temptation

ZED! We all love and miss you, it is so good to hear that you are doing well. I also am fine, but want to keep working at more AF weekends (weekdays are easy for me). You sound great, and it is always good to be in a healthy relationship (especially when it's cold out).
                        My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Avoiding temptation

Great post, just what I needed today.
                          Enlightened by MWO

Comment

Avoiding temptation

Zed!! (( )) Big Hugs!!!
                            So good to hear from you!!

Read a post today by Sarasmiles that tugged at my heartstrings and made me think of you so it was a happy co-incidence to hear from you again. It is sad when folks move on - and as I've learned my time here many different reasons occur as to why they do. Some of us oldies are winding down and not posting as much but it's a great supportive place and I hope to keep coming back even if it's not as often.

We did make it to Thailand so thank you for your p.m. last year about the country. It was fascinating!!
                            We put India on hold and are going to Austrailia instead in 2011 (family) and somewhere closer in 2010 like London or Scottland (just hubby and I)

My mod program continues in a positive way where I haven't had any bad problems with it other than a bad hangover here or there as I tend to overdo it at least once a month or every two. So that part is discouraging but I keep working it. I know the AFers slip too so I just pick myself back up and keep fighting the battle.

Glad to hear you and your lady are doing fine and sounds like she's bringing out the best in you!!! P.M. anytime - post here anytime. We all loved your stories that had so many word pictures and really miss that about you not being here. We've had some gems leave - that's for sure - but we keep getting new pearls so it all balances out.

Hugs,
                            Eve11

Comment

Avoiding temptation

Eve, you ARE my guardian angel! Thanks dear friend! Good to see zed and the crew again!
                              Toughen up!

Comment

Working...
                              X