Sonya's Campral Journal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sonya's Campral Journal

Okay, in a nutshell - went to River Pharmacy and placed order for Campral. It took about 10 days to arrive.

I wanted to get several days of AF under my belt, but duh, if I could do that I won't need the Campral. So I managed one day of AF and started in the evening. I took only one pill. I was very gun shy. I tried Nalxatrone about 3 months ago and it was like being hit by a truck. I was so sick I couldn't move, my stomach, head, muscles all in torment. I thought I was going to die. I tried it several times. I simply could not take it. So I was nervous about the CP. One pill - no side affects, made it that evening without a drink.

Day 2 - one pill at 3p, one pill at 6p. Made it without a drink! no side effects - yeah!

Day 3 - one pill at 3p. Then 5p rolls around, the witching hour begans. That little voice inside my head starts talking about having a drink. I quick made dinner and at 6p took two pills. Within an hour the carving were lessening. It was amazing. A miracle.

For me to make it 4 days is unheard of and here I am. I haven't seen day 4 AF in years! I still had cravings but I could ignore them. My plan is to take 2 pills at 3p and 2pills at 6p and see how it goes. I only ever drink at night and only weigh a 100 pounds, so I don't think I need all 6 doses, but I'll just wait and see.

All I can say right now is I am so happy. So excited. This might actually work! I've been a heavy drinking, black-out drinker for 20 years. But I really want to make it. I really want to be AF. So I will work hard and take the meds.

Side-note: I was grumpy last night, which is completely normal on day three of not drinking. I rarely make it to day three and not beyond that because my nasty little brain gets pissed on day three and demands alcohol. I think its important not blame all potential side effect on the meds, and remember withdrawal symptoms can be ugly.

Also had a drinking dream last night. Ahh, the little addiction monster is getting very upset!! He is clearly pulling out all the stops to get me back in the bottel. I refuse to feed him!
    - Sonya

I beleive I can keep going, long after I can't

Sonya's Campral Journal

Hey Sonya!
    I wish you the best with the Campral. I took it for awhile last fall but had to stop because I lost my appetite on it and I am already under weight. But I loved everything else about it. It seemed to take the worry out of not drinking or wanting to drink. I took it 3 times a day. I went 2 days AF before starting it. I really hope it works for you!
    :l
    LTG AF January 13, 2011

Comment

Sonya's Campral Journal

Watching with interest and caring. See you on Day 4, Sonya
      Woman takes a drink, drink takes a drink, drink takes a woman.

Comment

Sonya's Campral Journal

End of Day 4

Unbelievable. Just got home from going out to dinner at a resturant and didn't have a drink. When the waiter asked if I wanted a drink and I said "Water, please," my husband almost fell out of seat.

I took 2 cp's at 3p and 2 at 6p before leaving for dinner. I did have some cravings and thoughts around 5p, but they are so much more managable then usual. Before the cp a resturant would have been a perfect excuse to have a drink. But I made it.

I'm gonna make it to day 5.

Side note: Last night was finally a good night of sleep. Its hard to fall asleep rather than just pass-out every night. But I feel great in the morning. I have had some crabby'ness around 5p because my body is not getting the alcohol it is use to. Wonder how long that will last. Only one way to find out.

Thanks for the replies you guys. It nice to know your out there!
        - Sonya

Comment

Sonya's Campral Journal

Well done Sonya- 5 days is fantastic!

Please keep us posted.

Comment

Sonya's Campral Journal

Day 5

It's so bizarre being on this medication. The day flew by, then like clock work the thought of having a drink slips into my head. I look at the clock - 3p on the nose. Its the same time every day. I quick ate something and took my two pills and forgot all about it. Forgot to want to drink, and no side effects (well I have been tooting a little

6pm two more pills down. Tonight will be hard. Thursday night is a big drinking night for me. My favorite past time is to drink a whole bottle of wine from 8p-11p watching my favorite shows - like Survivor, which is new tonight. I am determined to make it. Besides, it would be nice to actually remember the shows the next day.

The medication really does help. It doesn't change my habits of drinking at certain times and the desire to drink is still there, but it managable. I read that in other posts before I took the medication and wondered what the hell they were talking about, I get it now.

Here is to making it to day 6 - I can't f(&%$ beleive it?
            - Sonya

Comment

Sonya's Campral Journal

Made it! Day 6!
              - Sonya

Comment

Sonya's Campral Journal

Great Stuff!

You are almost at a week!

The effects sounds quite a bit like the baclofen...do you get any tiredness?

Comment

Sonya's Campral Journal

Day 6

Last night was hell! Thursday night is a night I love to drink. It was tense. Not sure if the meds or balls of steel got me through (yes, I am a girl, just a saying). Think I might need to join a support group to get through some of the tougher moments like that.

I am headed into the weekend with much apprehension. We are going on a vacation with several families, and I know there will be drinking. I just have to stick to my guns. Ugh! Kind of freaking out.

Something that helped in the general discusion area there is a thread called "Why I love being AF." It is filled with the most amazing stuff to keep me motivated!

Wish me luck. I will return on Monday!

Still no
                  - Sonya

Comment

Sonya's Campral Journal

Here is the link to that great thread:

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f9...ree-37013.html
                    - Sonya

Comment

Sonya's Campral Journal

Okay, I didn't make it. I went all weekend AF, then I get home and my husband went out and it was like a trigger go off and I went straigt to that bottle of wine. Man do I regret it! I felt like shit all day. I am mad at myself.

Not giving up. Starting again! Haven't stop the Campral, it really does help.
                      - Sonya

Comment

Sonya's Campral Journal

Campril

:new:
                        Dear Sonya,
                        I have been taken ca since july 21st. I have no side effects and think it works great for me. In addition I am in AA and do go regularly which helps a great deal! I take two pills of 333mg each, three times a day. That is what my doctor perscribed for me. Together AA and campril have kept me AF since July 21st and I drank a lot of liquor everyday, morning noon and night. Keep up the good work!:goodjob:

Comment

Sonya's Campral Journal

Hi FrostedKnight, :welcome: to MWO

Well done on being AF since july, and please keep us posted on your progress ....

BB xxxx

PS Sonya, please check in and keep us posted xxxx
                          sigpicXXX

Comment

Sonya's Campral Journal

Sonya - Day 4

Okay, I went off the Campral due to a major health issue, had to take a prescription med for a week and freaked out about combining the two.

So, here I am on day 4. I drank and had a horrible drunk on Saturday night (its now Wednesday). It was my last drink. I am so embarrassed and ashamed. I can hardly stand myself. I went to AA the next day and have been to a meeting every day since. I began a full regimine of Campral today. Made it 3 days before starting. I will try and log in everyday to give an update. Praying, hoping, working on faith! Dam it, I will not pick-up another f'ing drink.
                            - Sonya

Comment

Sonya's Campral Journal

good for you hope you are still doing well! i too am on campral and it is like a godsend. i have been a heavy drinker for over 20yrs and play the mind game as well. hang in there! i have been sober since jan 2 2010

Comment

Working...
                              X