Exercise does not produce weight loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This article in Time Magazine is very interesting: Most people who exercise regularly don't lose weight because they eat more and do less physical activity after they have exercised!

Why Exercise Won't Make You Thin - TIME
    My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

that statement is a catch 22...exercise does produce weight loss IF you don't eat more because you think you earned it by exercising!

Comment

muscle weighs more than fat

wonder if it's better to be a muscle-head or a fat-head?
      sigpic
      Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

these studies are so misleading. er 'can be' if not taken with a grain of common sense. As pointed out above, muscle weighs more than fat. but an even bigger issue IMHO is that my quality of life is better in general when I exercise regularly. Absolutely every part of my mind and body functions better and my sense of 'aliveness' is proportional to my exercise habits.
        nosce te ipsum
        (Know Thyself)

Comment

Actually muscle does not weigh more than fat. I used to think that too until I saw an article that pointed out a pound of muscle weighs as much as a pound of fat. It just takes up less space.

I think exercise, like Det said, should be seen as something for the brain and soul instead of for weight loss because it is so easy to have two cookies and eat the amount of calories you just spent on a walk.
          I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Like Det, I do it for the feelgood factor (and it's also been proven to help in addiction recovery), but I have lost more than two stone (28lbs) since I started exercising regularly. Although maybe giving up the thousands of calories of booze every day might have had something to do with that.
            sigpic
            AF since December 22nd 2008
            Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

Good article. It is a combination of both exercise and diet if you want to lose weight. Some people just do not change their eating habits. I can exercise all I want and still not lose weight unless unless number 1 - I cut out the alcohol, and number 2 - cut the carbs down to only one meal and not three. Plus I'm not one for junk food. I would rather have that extra glass of wine that I don't need instead of dessert :no:

That is the first time I have heard that muscle weighs the same as fat, but just takes up less space. I do find that very interesting. That's could explain why when you do a combination of aerobic exercise and weights, you don't lose weight, but you can lose inches. Nice !! Thanks for the post :thumbs:
              Miss October :blinkylove:

Comment

muscle is dense fat is "fluffier"!
                like a lb of rocks to a pound of feathers.

Comment

peacenik;717883 wrote: muscle is dense fat is "fluffier"!
                  like a lb of rocks to a pound of feathers.
                  exactly. It's really about how your clothes fit isn't it?
                  sigpic
                  Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Bottom line folks....calories in....calories out. If you consume more calories than you exert...you will gain weight and visa versus...
                    Chef Robaire
                    Nicotine Free: 02/02/2008
                    Alcohol Free: 04/01/2014

"It's a Good Feeling to Know Somebody Loves You"....Poco

Comment

There are many, many positive things about exercise. However, the amount of energy expended exercising is really very small relative to the amount of stored energy most people have so losing weight should not be the reason a person exercises.

As long as blood glucose (and hence insulin) concentrations are high, there is no way to lose weight because the hormonal signal to make and store fat is constantly ON and the signal to burn fat is never on. A very obese person who complains of hunger often is dismissed as crazy and lazy but it is true --- all of the brain's "I'm hungry! I need to eat!" signals are firing most of the time.

All of this finally is being covered in the popular press -- thank goodness - but I don't think our obesity problem will be solved unless the population changes the way we eat. Given economic and political interests, that is a going to be really difficult to do. But if we don't, our health care systems are going to be crushed from the fall-out of our poor diets.

Comment

I think the article is a bit old and exercise science has moved on. Calories in/calories out is not necessarily the be all and end all. When you're young, it's normally easy to drop weight because your metabolism is higher and you tend to be more active. When you're older, say after 35 or 40, your metabolism slows down and it's harder to lose just by sticking to a strict diet and exercise program. The same doctors who will tell you 'calories in/calories out' will then turn around and say that your metabolism slows down as you age. WHICH IS IT???

The articles I have been reading lately say that interval training is key for cardio. Short bursts of intense activity in the middle of doing less intense activity. Say, walk a mile, then do 6 intervals of jogging 30 seconds and then walking 90 seconds. Then cool down by walking for 5-10 minutes. Or start off jogging and sprint/jog the intervals. You can adapt almost any cardio activity to an interval workout. The intensity of the fast interval is the key.

The other thing (and this is where I struggle to fit it in) is weight training. As was mentioned - muscle weighs more than/takes up less room than fat. Plus, the more muscle you have, the more calories you will burn, even when you're not working out, because muscle is more vascular than fat. It takes more energy to keep muscle 'fed' than fat.

Finally - diet. I think that there are a lot of diets that will help people lose weight. Obviously clean eating (i.e., no processed food) is best, but that doesn't mean that any one food or food group is evil for all people. I think a common sense approach is needed here. If you feel better when you eliminate meat, then do that as much as possible. If you feel better when you limit carb intake, then do that. This is why journaling is so important. Write down what you eat and how you feel. You may need to see an nutritionist to help analyze the patterns in your diet.

A diet is not going to be successful if one feels deprived all the time. Personally, I like the diets that give you a 'cheat day', where you can eat what you want one day a week.
                        Well it's all right now. I've learned my lesson well. You see you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself.

Comment

I just noticed this thread had popped back up. I think many studies are just a reflection of a moment in time. The low-carb people certainly seem to believe that the "calories in, calories out" model doesn't work, it really is too many carbs that makes us fat. I also read something recently about walking exercise only produces weight loss if followed for the long term, short term we just end up eating more. Perhaps that's true about any exercise program, perhaps also when "diet" is used to describe something short-term. And yes, I think I have seen something about "interval training" posted around here. It is all interesting food for thought.
                          My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Exercise works for me

I have lost five pound in 7 days. I am exercising but I am also weiging out my food and being very careful about what I put in my mouth other than Alcohol. Can't speak for everyone but it is working for me.

rednose goal lose 25. down 5 pounds.
                            All things in time if I am Alcohol free

Comment

Your right Sun.....what it produces is fatigue ! Ha! I try not to over ex cert myself.....Ha!
                              ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                              those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                              Dr. Seuss

Comment

Working...
                              X