Piracetam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Piracetam?

Has anyone found this useful, for withdrawal, craving control, or cognitive recovery?

From what I've read, the evidence is dubious. I got a shipment yesterday, started yesterday afternoon, and today I woke up _almost_ feeling refreshed, and simply more cognitively together, at 800mg 3 per day, along with some B vites, esp Choline to provide the fuel for the increased brain activity. So far it seems to have a possible indirect effect on cravings, or total Eth consumption, at least for me. But it's only been two days.

There was slightly less an impulse to drink early in the day because I was actually became more absorbed in goal-oriented pursuits (and in fact, got some things done!) to dristract myself. I think anything that increases cognitive powers and impulse control can't hurt the cause, as long as it's harmless, as the racetams are supposed to be (except for the anti-clotting effect).

One thing though, is that even though it seems to a great substance for enhanced focus, because it doesn't give me the shakes or jitters, for me, there _is_ a crash once it wears off.
    I feel ok, but I was kind of acting brain-damaged at the car wash today when the dose wore off I think. I wonder if it means that I need to load _very_heavily_ with the B vitamins.

To me, drinking when I don't want to is a result of a deficiency of impulse control (which is a runaway feedback loop because long-term drinking damages executive function), and I have impulse control areas in all aspects of my life. I will log on to the computer in the morning and read email when I'm late for work! I will watch TV when I get home at night, when I have no time to do so! I just spent almost two hours playing computer chess, even though I have no plans on being a chess expert, and my kitchen counter is full of dirty dishes! I think that increasing brain "energy" is what this is all about - getting rid of the brain fog that leaves us without the energy for goal-directed behavior. (well apart from the physical withdrawal aspect, but even there, mental energy is what is needed to accept that one will feel horrible for a couple days).

Being able to direct the mind to what is productive (whether it be short term or long term), is to me the antithesis of addiction, and the source of true happiness.

Well, I do plan to continue with the Piracetam for a while, and will report back. In general though, please understand that I don't intend to be a daily poster on these forums, because I find that the less I think about not drinking, the less I drink! I prefer to occupy my mind with other things. So my apologies in advance if I don't post an intro or start a blog or anything like that. But I will report back on what Piracetam does for me, and of course I welcome any feedback or questions from anyone else who has used this substance or is thinking of doing so.

Piracetam?

Never heard of it....

Are you in the states???? What exactly is it and where did you purchase it??? I would love to try anything, especially natural, to supplement my brain!!

Thanks in advance......:thanks:

MA
    :rays:My happiness is my greatest gift to others:rays:eace:

Comment

Piracetam?

Hi beachguy, and welcome!

This is interesting and I'm wondering about you, though. I can't get a feel for it because I wonder what was your baseline. Did you have problems sleeping? How much did you drink? In other words, what were your patterns of behavior before you took it. Why did you choose this and not just a supplemlent. The "crash" concerns me. Especially acting brain-damaged at the car wash. Geez what if you were at work when that happened? Maybe you should try the All-One RJ recommends or Brain-Link from the Pain and Stress Center.

Maybe Beatle will catch this. She is incredibly knowledgeable.
      sigpic
      Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Piracetam?

Thanks Greenie, but I must admit I had not heard of this. As usual, I consequently used a good bit of time researching it, and this (below) is the best I've found (and it does sound pretty good-- but clearly not a cure).

I thank you, BeachGuy, for bringing this to our attention. I intend to try it for the "damage".

I also appreciate your reflections in general about alcoholism. I do hope you will report back about your experience with piracetam and other alcohol-related experiences/insights.

Here it is:

Considered a "smart drug" or nootropic, piracetam is reported to enhance cognitive functions of the brain such as memory, attention, intelligence, etc. There is very little empirical evidence to support this claim in healthy individuals. Piracetam is believed to increase blood flow between the two hemispheres of the brain. It's also been reported to protect brain tissue from various physical and chemical abrasions such as alcohol damage.

One study described the benefits of piracetam in this way: "In animal models and in healthy volunteers, the drug improves the efficiency of the higher telencephalic functions of the brain involved in cognitive processes such as learning and memory. The pharmacology of piracetam is unusual because it protects against various physical and chemical insults applied to the brain. It facilitates learning and memory in healthy animals and in animals whose brain function has been compromised, and it enhances interhemispheric transfer of information via callosal transmission. At the same time, even in relatively high dosages it is devoid of any sedative, analeptic or autonomic activities."
        Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Piracetam?

bumping this... for myself and others.
          Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Working...
          X