Panic Attacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panic Attacks

It has been so long since I was last here. I have visited a few times over the summer, but I would leave before posting. I guess I felt I could get a grip on my drinking, like I have in the past, but things have changed. At the beginning of summer, I had my 1st alcohol related panic attack. Scary as heck! My hubby and I had just got back from a trip to Mexico and I was doing some serious drinking. I was coming down with a cold and I took some OTC cough medicine and went to sleep. 30 minutes later, I woke up in a full on panic attack. I couldn’t breath, I couldn’t swallow and I was seeing stars. Almost went to the Emergency room, but hubby was able to calm me down. A few weeks later, it happened again, but this time I was home with my boys and I almost fainted. Again, it was after days of very heavy drinking. I had to have a relative come to the house, until it finally passed, that took most of the morning. Now it’s becoming a pattern. It terrifies me, but I am still drinking. The big kick this weekend, was I was drunk at my son’s soccer game on Saturday. Somehow I messed up on the time and thought the game was later in the day. I had just downed a couple of shots of vodka and then Hubby comes rushing in, asking why aren’t we ready to go. He took us to the game and I sat in my chair and I guess I was a little loud because my son told me he could hear me across the field and would I please not be so loud at the next game. Talk about feeling like crap. Have any of you ever had a panic attack after drinking?
    Humor is just another defense against the universe!

Panic Attacks

Sorry about the dinky font, it's been a while since I posted.

Comment

Panic Attacks

Welcome back Bookish,

Not a day went by when I was drinking that I didn't have a panic attack.

They are very,very scary.

But gradually cutting down the alcohol and then going totally AF. They've disappeared.

Have a quick word with your doc if you can.

Hope this helps.

Nice to meet you.

Love and hugs

Jackie xxx

AF since 7/7/2009
      It could be worse, I could be filing.
      AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Panic Attacks

I started to have panic attacks too...I have been to the ER 2x in the last three months. I didn't know you could have an attack while you were sleeping though! Are you sure there isn't something else health related going on? The worst part of a panic attack is that the worse it gets, the worse it gets, like asthma...and on that note, could you have adult asthma? Have you tried an OTC inhaler? If it works a little, then you can tell you Dr. and get a script. My panic attacks mimic my asthma attacks, the only difference is that the inhaler won't work if it a panic attack.
        Give a man a beer, he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, he'll waste a lifetime.

Comment

Panic Attacks

I started having panic attacks and you are right, they are very scary. I talked with my health store folks and this is what they recommended to help.

L-theanine, an amino acid found in green tea, produces a pronounced feeling of tranquility in as little as fifteen (15) minutes. L-theanine increases the activity of GABA, a neurotransmitter (i.e. natural messenger in the brain) that promotes relaxation and reduces anxiety. L-theanine also stimulates the release of dopamine, a neurotransmitter responsible for confidence and a sense of well-being.

Good Luck to you
          :l
          Ak

PS. Keep fighting AL.......for your kids
          :flower: I'm not as good as I'm gonna get, but I'm better than I used to be.

Comment

Panic Attacks

Last spring, I had a full blood workup and everything was in normal limits. I was having a problem with my blood pressure, but cutting back on the coffee and stopping the fat burners I was on got my blood pressure down.
            Thanks for letting me know, I'm not the only one. I don't get them at all, if I'm not drinking. I think I have finally hit the wall, or at least I hope so, I can't see how I could feel worse then I do today. Time for change.

Thank you AK, we have a great health store near by, I will check it out.

Comment

Panic Attacks

Bookish;719603 wrote: Last spring, I had a full blood workup and everything was in normal limits. I was having a problem with my blood pressure, but cutting back on the coffee and stopping the fat burners I was on got my blood pressure down.
              Thanks for letting me know, I'm not the only one. I don't get them at all, if I'm not drinking. I think I have finally hit the wall, or at least I hope so, I can't see how I could feel worse then I do today. Time for change.

Thank you AK, we have a great health store near by, I will check it out.
              I also didn't know this...when I was in detox my BP was like 161/101. They told me that is not surpising given the amount I drink, but it also put me in the goup of "likely to have a seizure".

When you go to the pharmacy, use those free cuffs to check on it often.
              Give a man a beer, he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, he'll waste a lifetime.

Comment

Panic Attacks

Bookish,

I suffer panic attacks with or without alcohol. They are awful.

Drinking exacerbated them greatly, though, and since I have been AF, I have only had a few very minor ones.

I take Baclofen to help keep me from drinking and I think it has helped my anxiety and panic attacks as well.

I also wanted to chime in that you might be at risk for AWS, seizures or heart attack and stroke, if you drink alot and your blood pressure gets high, etc.

Have you gone periods of time without drinking recently? The dangerous days are 3 - 5 for seizures.

My bp is well within normal ranges now that I am not drinking, another great side effect of quitting the poison that was ruining my life.

I hope you get medical help to withdraw if you need it and I also hope you can come up with a plan to heal.

Cindi
                AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Panic Attacks

Cinders,

I do worry about seizures. I have never had one, but then I have only been 2 to 3 days af at any given time in months. This is not normal for me, I have been moderating fairly well for years. I think part of the problem is I have not been working as much. Now that school is back in and I am busy, I was hoping to slow down again, but it has not happened. I keep finding ways to get AL into my daily routine. Unfortunately, getting rehab or medical help is not possible. I live in a small town and my hubby is a professional here. I sometimes wonder, if I am trying to self-destruct, just to get the help I want. I'm sure many of us feel this way.

Comment

Panic Attacks

((Bookish))))

Hey hon I just started regularly having panic attacks lately too. Before that I only had them a time or two in my life. I have been prescribed Xanax when the attack is ongoing, one should not drink while taking Xanax

I'm up to 30 mg of another drug, Cymbala, which will be increased to 60 mg. Since I started this rx, I have had only one panic attack, so that's a heck of a lot better.

I too would not go AF when having panick attacks, but since I'm seem to be doing okay, I plan to go AF at least by 9/28.

PM me if you wish to talk, I know where u r coming from. :l:l

Comment

Panic Attacks

hart;719715 wrote: ((Bookish))))

Hey hon I just started regularly having panic attacks lately too. Before that I only had them a time or two in my life. I have been prescribed Xanax when the attack is ongoing, one should not drink while taking Xanax

I'm up to 30 mg of another drug, Cymbala, which will be increased to 60 mg. Since I started this rx, I have had only one panic attack, so that's a heck of a lot better.

I too would not go AF when having panick attacks, but since I'm seem to be doing okay, I plan to go AF at least by 9/28.

PM me if you wish to talk, I know where u r coming from. :l:l
                      OMG, DO NOT DRINK ON XANAX! I didn't know that, and was perscribed it by my ER doc...I do not remember the night, well except when my husband picked me up in jail. Thankfully the judge understood my crisis with my daughter and my lack of knowledge of this drug...everything was dropped thankfully, but it was a VEY expensive lession!

Comment

Panic Attacks

Many people who drink heavily have panic attacks because alcohol is a depressant and it effects the central nervous system. That's why, after a particularly heavy night of drinking, a lot of people feel "edgy" like their nerves are on fire. If you don't stop drinking heavily, it gets worse over time. Then people get into other addictions like to tranquilizers and when you start mixing that with booze, not only can it be lethal, but you will really be out of control. Thats why they say drinking/alcoholism is progressive. Just my two cents.
                        Over 4 months AF :h

Comment

Working...
                        X