Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baclofen, Naltrexone And Wellbutrin Interactions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey guys, first off I can't say how thrilled I am to have found this site and how grateful I am for this forum and everyone's brilliant input.

I have been trying to quit smoking/drinking for a while now and have found that Wellbutrin seems to help quite a bit for smoking. I've decided that in order to quit smoking I will have to quit drinking first. Quitting both together does foster an all around wellness that I even look forward to, and for me both goals tend to motivate one another.

I have had had some success cutting back drinking with Nalrexone, but not as much as I would like. After reading everyone's posts regarding Baclofen's two-pronged handling of anxiety as well (which I think is a big contributor to the drinking), I've ordered some and I'm looking forward to starting that program in hopes of abstaining, ideally for forever, but at least long enough to stop smoking entirely.

I was wondering if anyone knew of any potential interaction between Baclofen and Wellbutrin, especially considering the high dosages I will need to titrate up to. One thing I've considered is that Wellbutrin can actually cause anxiety and tends to be a tad speedy, which might help negate some of Baclofen's sleepy side-effects but perhaps also its anxiety-reducing benefits. Secondly, since I still have Naltrexone on hand, does anyone know of any risks involved with taking it while on Baclofen, as described by the Sinclair method only in the event that I do have the occasional urge to drink?

I've read that this isn't a forum for specific medical advise, but if anyone may have a link or perhaps has heard something generally that I should know beforehand I'd appreciate it. Thanks so much!

I take 200mg of Wellbutrin SR in the morning and it does offset the somnolence from the Baclofen for a while.. later in the afternoon I tend to still get tired. I've had no negative reactions to the two medications taken together.

Comment

We've been discussing that topic here: thesinclairmethod.com • View topic - Naltrexone--plus baclofen? minus the wellbutrin.
      :nutso: I take pride in my humility :nutso:
      :what?:
      sigpic
      Graph of My Drinking From July '09 to January '10

Consolidated Baclofen Information Thread

Baclofen for Alcoholism and Other Addictions
      A Forum
      Trolls need not apply

Comment

I've also taken baclofen and wellbutrin simultaneously and never had a problem
        (I'm off wellbutrin now b/c I'm not depressed anymore--thanks largely to the fact that I don't really drink anymore!)

Comment

I take 300 mg of Wellbutrin SR every morning and am at 180 mg of bac/day. No problems here.

Comment

Thanks so much everyone for getting back to me, that's great news and just one more reason to get this show on the road without hesitation, thanks!

Comment

ThirdMan;721474 wrote: Hey guys, first off I can't say how thrilled I am to have found this site and how grateful I am for this forum and everyone's brilliant input.

I have been trying to quit smoking/drinking for a while now and have found that Wellbutrin seems to help quite a bit for smoking. I've decided that in order to quit smoking I will have to quit drinking first. Quitting both together does foster an all around wellness that I even look forward to, and for me both goals tend to motivate one another.

I have had had some success cutting back drinking with Nalrexone, but not as much as I would like. After reading everyone's posts regarding Baclofen's two-pronged handling of anxiety as well (which I think is a big contributor to the drinking), I've ordered some and I'm looking forward to starting that program in hopes of abstaining, ideally for forever, but at least long enough to stop smoking entirely.

I was wondering if anyone knew of any potential interaction between Baclofen and Wellbutrin, especially considering the high dosages I will need to titrate up to. One thing I've considered is that Wellbutrin can actually cause anxiety and tends to be a tad speedy, which might help negate some of Baclofen's sleepy side-effects but perhaps also its anxiety-reducing benefits. Secondly, since I still have Naltrexone on hand, does anyone know of any risks involved with taking it while on Baclofen, as described by the Sinclair method only in the event that I do have the occasional urge to drink?

I've read that this isn't a forum for specific medical advise, but if anyone may have a link or perhaps has heard something generally that I should know beforehand I'd appreciate it. Thanks so much!
              How are you able to "order baclofen"? I am in Los Angeles, too, and cannot find an MD who will work with me on dosage over 10mg. I am desperate! Please help. Thanks!

Comment

Check out this thread Hilary: https://www.mywayout.org/community/f2...ine-35483.html

Also, in the States, there is Dr Levin. I'm sure someone will send you his contact details pretty shortly...

Good luck.

Comment

I took Wellbutrin recently to stop smoking (300mg/day) and had no adverse reaction except maybe a little more difficulty sleeping. I'm down to 50mg bac maintenance dose so not so much but I haven't heard of anything to worry about.
                  Started Baclofen 3/9/10 Hit my switch at 250mg on 21/11/10 Present maintenance dose of 50mg : started drinking after 1 year, upped dose to 80mg and stopped: Tapered to 30mg, started 6 months of drinking, upped dose to 240mg to stop 12/7/12

Comment

Working...
                  X