Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Survey of Success on Long Term Moderators

Hello all,
    I've popped on and off this site for a year or 2, but still have not devoted myself to really solving this problem I have. I need to do so now, so wanted to see if some with experience and success, whatever that success could share.
    1) are there folks here who drank up to 10 drinks (me-its wine) daily, with up to 30 in a week and have succeeded in becoming moderate drinkers?
    2) has anyone here had health concerns such as skin going to hell, cold and numb hands (can't figure how my drinking is causing this) or other things that went away on their own?
    3) I'm debating using my insurance and going to a psychiatrist next week, to get prescriptions for say baclofen and naltrexone instead of using the online pharms which are so expensive. Do you all think that's a good idea or a bad idea, both for privacy's sake and for my success. He will (I do have a Tues. next appt.) tell me to quit, not moderate if I tell him I drink 6-10 drinks about every other day.

Any all thoughts and ideas on how I can get this thing really going are appreciated! Thank you.

cold numb hands are a sign of nerve damage...drinking can definitely cause it.

i have moderated (when i was an active drinker i drank 1.5-2 bottles of wine everyday). i was "successful" for a while, but i always fell back into old habits. i have decided to try to stop all together. i have slip ups, but am overall doing better than i was for the past 5 years of heavy drinking. i have m ajor health concerns because when i drink i get alot of pain in my abdomen that lasts for days after...i also get really red cheeks that i hate.

my advice is be totally honest with your physician...they wont judge you, they will tell you what you should do to alleviate your problems.

good luck!

Comment

Thank you peacnik.
      Oh, sounds scary, the nerve thing. I do hope that will go away.
      I get the awful red cheeks as well. Stays that way now, but I have that light tend to red skin anyhow, just worse in the past year. I may end up finding myself like you, having to just quit, that's why I'm hoping to hear different stories. It helps to know how others have managed through this.

Comment

Hi All
        Cool you have asked a question that we all have had to face and deal with. I have had al in my life for over 40 years. Different levels over those years but i can think back to so many times I wanted to control my drinking{mod} never could.In finally educating myself about my drinking problem [realizing I am an alcoholic and will never be able to mod/ control my drinking] did I get the answer.My history with al shows me what to expect if I have a drink. I would say most of us AF took longer to get here than it should have. I know I couldn't picture never drinking again. In time it has become a new lifestyle that feels so good.
        In chat one day I was talking to some one who could mod. They could have one drink and take or leave the second. Drink one night and then maybe not for a while. This does not sound like you.It definitely wasn't me. Only you can come up with your own answer.Don't wast your time. Commit fully to which ever road you chose and honestly evaluate how you are doing. I found using the drink tracker as a very helpful tool to see in black and white how I was doing

AF 5-16-08
        Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
        Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
        AF 5-16-08

Comment

Thank you Caysea; yes, I think you may be quite right. The only thing that makes me think I have a chance at 'modding' is that I drank lightly, not at all, moderately from a teenager to say, 2/3 yrs. ago at 48 (now 51) when a number of stressful events came together, I ended up living alone - something I find very conducive to hiding our little or big failures- and went from a glass or two of wine a couple times a week, usually with friends (not alone) to above 3/4 times weekly excesses. Thats a quick lifestyle change and I do hope not long enough to leave me with any permanent health problems. Glad to hear you are AF and happy. That really can't be a bad way. I've known people like that who never had a problem, just didn't like it and life is good!

Comment

Coolgamma,
            Idon't think of myself as a moderator; but more of an occasional drinker. I used to be more of a binge drinker, a habit that was relatively short-lived, as I progressed through my late 40's and early 50's. I can't say I'm like you, but this is the kind of information I think you want.
            My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Thanks Sunbeam.
              By the way, I read somewhere else you told someone to go to the toolbox; can't see how to find that. Can you give directions? >)

Comment

Hi there Cool, here is the link to the toolbox thread...

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html
                Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
                Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Thanks so; found it now.

Comment

In answer to your questions ....
                    1. No
                    2. Yes
                    3. Good idea

Good luck in whatever you wish to do ...
                    ?We are one another's angels?
                    Sober since 29/04/2007

Comment

Heavenly,
                      I imagine that you are still AF. In the future, please include this information when you post in the mods section. It enables the person posting to obtain the information they are seeking from people who are drinking moderately. Info from AF people adds to the depth of the conversation, but it is a different perspective.
                      My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

It is possible to moderate but it's not easy. it takes a huge lifestyle change. seeing as this is a new problem for you, maybe it would work but you need to find better ways of dealing with stress.

About doctors, that's a personal decision. I personally would want to keep things off insurance records. And remember, most primary care doctors won't know about anti-addiction medicine.

I advise paying out of pocket for an appointment, getting prescription for the generics, which I think would be cheaper than online pharmacies.

Comment

Sunbeam;723645 wrote: Heavenly,
                          I'm puzzled that you posted here, in response to a question for moderators. I had thought you were AF, but perhaps that isn't true.
                          OMG ... am I not allowed to post here ????
                          I have not pushed being af down anyone's throat have I ?
                          Did I insist on insulting everyone who is modding ..... ?
                          Do I stop you posting from wherever YOU want to post ... highly offended ...
                          Maybe I better go ask RJ f I am allowed to most on moderating sections ....?
                          It's obvious you have the knives out for me as I see many, many other people who are sober /af posting on here ? Like to pm me ?
                          Unfortunately, I have fallen and my gut reaction to post a reply has kicked in .....

2 years 5 months sober thanks .....
                          Sober since 29/04/2007

Comment

I have no problem with anyone posting where they like, but I think an AF person should clearly identify themself when responding to a question asked of moderators. If they don't, it is confusing to the person seeking information. Other AF people did this, you did not. I am sorry I offended you.

Comment

I take it that you feel someone who is AF has NO rights to offer a moderator advice, after all I moderated or attempted to for nearly a year before joining this site (which I joined first in May 2007) for support to try and improve my moderating. After joining I decided to try abstaining.

I am a well-known af person.
                              My name appears 99% of the time in long-term abstainers.
                              Most new people even know this.

Most people who post in long term abstainers do NOT identify themselves as moderators nor abstainers and many are not long term abstainers (most usually classified as RJ's example of 30 days + alcohol free).

Maybe you would like to contact RJ and have her specify these new rules you
                              have decided should be followed.

I am still disgusted at your obvious segregation or personal dislike of me. I will not post in reply to this again.
                              Sober since 29/04/2007

Comment

Working...
                              X