Changing habits ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing habits ...

Phillippa Lally and colleagues from University College London recruited 96 people who were interested in forming a new habit such as eating a piece of fruit with lunch or doing a 15 minute run each day Lally et al.
    (2009).

Participants were then asked daily how automatic their chosen behaviours felt.
    These questions included things like whether the behaviour was 'hard not to do' and could be done 'without thinking'.

how long to form a habit

Think about how long it could, would, should take you to change your drinking behaviour and does this pertain to your habits ?
    ?We are one another's angels?
    Sober since 29/04/2007

Changing habits ...

Yep, as the article says, it's hard work. And that's *just* changing a habit, not an addiction.
    Interesting piece.
    sigpic
    AF since December 22nd 2008
    Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

Changing habits ...

Yes, I agree.
      I was looking at it as changing the ''habit'' of the practice of drinking, like 'where' we drink, or what 'time of day' we drink, from that angle really.
      ?We are one another's angels?
      Sober since 29/04/2007

Comment

Changing habits ...

Here's a comment piece by Oliver Burkeman on the UCL study.

This column will change your life: making and breaking habits | Life and style | The Guardian

He says that in order to break a habit (not an addiction, as he points out), we need to find an alternative that fulfils the same need.

Simples :H
        sigpic
        AF since December 22nd 2008
        Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

Changing habits ...

I think I have suddenly forgotten how to read

Comment

Working...
          X