Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies--What's your story?

:new: :new: :new: :new: :new: :new:

I am a middle-aged mother of four. My husband is a very busy business executive with long, long hours so in many ways I often feel like a single parent. Busy with kids school, activities, etc.

Never drank in my entire life until five years ago. Started drinking a little wine at social functions and then gradually found myself purchasing wine and drinking some at home. Don't know how it happened----honestly, it just snuck up on me----I now drink one bottle of white wine a day. Sometimes even a little more.

What I hate is I want to quit and it has been a shock that I haven't been able to. I know it affects my health, energy level, and motivation. I am not near the mom I could and should be because of the alcohol----it makes me lethargic and puts me in that "I don't care" mood----don't the laundry, the house, meals, etc. to the degree that I should. Late paying bills because I just don't feel like sitting down and focusing on them. Would rather sit down with a book or TV and a cold glass of wine.

Every morning when I wake up I am so mad at myself that I drank that bottle the night before and swear I won't do it today----ha,ha---always do.

Wake up calls to me:

***My family has no idea that I drink at home at all!!! I'm tired of buying bottles secretly, hiding them, getting rid of the empty bottles clandestinely. My husband has suspected sometimes that I'm drinking, but I just tell him that "Yeah, I had a glass tonight."

***Secretly drink a couple of glasses of wine while getting ready to go to a social event so it will only seem to my husband and others that I only had one or two classes for the night. Then come home and secretly drink another big glass at home.

***Realizing that there have been times when I should NOT have been picking up or dropping off kids. Having to make up excuses about a terrible headache so my husband or 16-yr-old son rearrange their schedules to do the pick up.

***Regret things I've said or how I've acted occassionally when around people who had no idea I had been drinking. Wondering if I'm pulling off acting normal enough or are people silently suspicious?

***Buy my bottles of wine at different stores because I was afraid the one right down the street was suspecting me of being an alkie. Found myself making up reasons to the people who work there for why I was buying another bottle (or two) today. Ridiculous!!!

***I feel and look like crap. No motivation to exercise or take care of myself like I should

***Sweating all the time---even though it may be hot I will be sweating profusely (especially my hair and face) while no one else is. I finally realized about a year ago it had to be all the alcohol.

***Taking too many pills to combat effects of wine. Ambien to sleep at night so I won't wake up at 3:00 am sweating, anxious, and unable to go back to sleep. Energy pills and pain killers in the morning to get rid of the aches and the brain fog.

***Lots of Nexium.

***Tired of making excuses for things I should have had done for volunteer and community activities. Alcohol makes me an even bigger procrastinater than I already tended to be.

I have read and read and read from this site and feel more motivated than I ever have before. It has been good to discover that I'm not the only one. For so long it seemed that everyone around me was completely normal and I had this awful "abnormal" secret.

Anyway, AF starts today!!! I've got my supplements and kudzu.

Welcome to MWO, Piper.

This place was - and remains - a lifesaver for me

We hope we'll see lots more of you as you start your journey. I have found that posting a lot helps keep me motivated, because people get to know you and can offer support when (not if) you need it.
    I'll do whatever it takes
    AF 21/08/2009

Comment

Hi Piper and welcome to you!
      Like Tip says, this place is amazing, I wouldnt be sober without it.
      Stick around and let it work its magic on you :-)
      Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
      Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Piper,
        God I could have written your letter when my kids were in high school. I was doing all those things you wrote about. Let me tell you, it can get a lot worse. My kids are now in grad school and I do believe I have finally quit drinking for good. But I sure do wish I had done it earlier in my life and theirs.
        Good luck. Keep posting. It helps.
        Sometimes all you can successfully do in one day is just stay sober.
        spedteach

Comment

I must have a twin!

Piper ~
          When I read your post it was like I had written it.......
          During my kids high school years I too found myself not able to function like I should.
          Everything in your post is so familiar!!
          I have just recently found this site also and it really really helps. Keep reading and posting and you will be able to help yourself- I did.
          I wish I had years ago- now I have a grandson and feel as though I'm missing him growing up.

Good Luck!! You can do it!!:welcome:

Comment

Welcome, piper!

I don't have kids, but I can definitely relate to the rest of your story!
            I'm glad you found this site, it has been a life saver for me. Stay around - you can change your life for the better, and you will never regret it.

Much love!
            ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

:welcome: Piper,

I just had to read your post twice 'cos I thought it was me . (except 10 years instead of 5 and 2 kids instead of 4)

Good safe place you've found.

Keep reading,keep posting. This place has been a godsend for me.

Please let us know how you're getting on.

Wishing you all the luck in the world.

Love Jackie xxx

AF since 7/7/2009
              It could be worse, I could be filing.
              AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

:new:too !!!!!!!!!!!!! Hi Piper

I just recently found MWO also and the people here are amazing , supportive , non-judgemental and caring . Reading the posts and writing (although , I'm not good at expressing myself) has been a lifesaver to me. I'm AF now for 2 weeks , I'm aiming for 30 days . I'm glad your here :l Em
                Non Drinker 9/09
                Non Smoker 6/09
                Tennis Anyone ?

Comment

Hi Piper,

Welcome to MWO! It is a great place

You story is very similar to mine and many others here, you are definitely not alone. Please feel free to join us on the 'Newbies Nest' thread, lots of folks there just getting started as well & some of us that have been around a while.

Wishing you the best!
                  Lav
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09
                  Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Piper-:welcome:

You've come to the right place if your looking for support and understanding. We've all pretty much been where your are. Stay close and keep reading and posting.
                    AF since 7/26/2009

"There is nothing noble in being superior to other man. The true nobility is being superior to your previous self."--Hindu proverb.

"Sobriety isn't a landing but rather a journey." anonymous

Comment

Welcome Piper :welcome:

I'm new here too and can honestly say if this site wasn't around for me to read others' stories and relate to...all the support and understanding, I'm not quite sure where my head would be right now.
                      You really have come to the right place...make yourself at home

DLA
                      Of all vices, drinking is the most incompatible with greatness
                      Sir Walter Scott
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

No kids here, but everything else was just about the same. Only you said it better than I could've ...

Comment

Hi Piper, I came here 2 weeks ago, same story really, Im 52, 6 children and drinking for about 10 years,lots of good friends and advice here, it fun to go to live chat in the evening, everyone is in the same boat and its great to chay about it to them, hope to speak soon, love and hugs Tawnywitch.
                          Twitch

Comment

I can't access Live Chat - it says the required plug in is not installed. What plug in should I have?
                            Minnie x

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending - make yours a happy every after :l

Sober since 4 November :fingers:

Comment

Same here~ I can't get into chat. It says "error-invalid username" but when I click on help it directs me to some sort of installation process....

Comment

Working...
                              X