Booze, Smokes, and Wood.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Booze, Smokes, and Wood.

OK, in a forum section for guys, it had to come up sooner or later. (no pun intended)

For any of you ladies out there who are lurking, please keep the laughter to a minimum.

After a half-century on this planet, things in the downstairs woodshop just don't seem to be the same as when I was younger. 35 years of drinking and smoking sort of left the fence post with a case of the termites.

I was taking those little blue diamond pills, you know what I'm talking about, just to have any hope of getting a good dovetail joint. The last couple years of my drinking career, I was popping the 100 mg blue diamonds just to get a short visit to the New Yankee Workshop. (sorry about that Norm).

Now that I'm nine months clean and sober, I had forgotten how well a solid piece of oak is much better suited for getting some good dowel work done, rather than balsa.

It didn't come back to the game overnight, but the Louisville Slugger is now back to home plate.

Its been a real motivator to stay the course, and keep off the booze and smokes to keep the pinewood derby car from crashing so often.

The supplements, the exercise, and all the rest have put me solidly back in the lumber construction business.

Oh, and yea, that Smilin' Bob is not the carpenter you might think. There's just no substitute for the blue diamond pressure treatment on the deck timbers.

So, any single ladies out there need any bookshelves or cabinets?? :wings:

Booze, Smokes, and Wood.

are you trying to punish me for peeking over in the boys room? i've never seen so many references to wood in my life...my desk is making me blush...

Comment

Booze, Smokes, and Wood.

well, I laughed

You make me wanna go out and buy some solid wood bed-side tables.

Gotta love ya,

A laugh is as good as a clear-eyed morning. And if I have to leave the main board to do it, that's just fine.

Helen

Comment

Booze, Smokes, and Wood.

So ... does getting off the booze go against the grain?

Tawny

Comment

Booze, Smokes, and Wood.

HAHAHA - You HAD to know that the name of this thread would have so many people floating obver to the guys' forum!
          Classic! You made my day!
          Over 4 months AF :h

Comment

Booze, Smokes, and Wood.

Ha! Glad I could bring a smile to a few of the ladies here.

The thing that has amused me a bit, is that no other guys seem to have chimed in here as of yet.

Where I work, all us older fellas 50+ seem to have our own little network about the issues with our forestry products.

It really was my intention to bring a little discretion and humor to a problem that more guys have in their later years.

Now, where is that gol-darn miter box? I left it around here somewhere...

Comment

Booze, Smokes, and Wood.

Lol, xtexan...all I can say is "you would be from Tennessee"...Hope to see you with some of your trophy gals on your arm soon...:H

Comment

Booze, Smokes, and Wood.

OK..........fanning here........is it warm in here or is it just me?
                I think this southernbelle is going to swoon!!

Nancy

"Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

Booze, Smokes, and Wood.

:shocked: i will never again be able to go to home depot's lumber department without thinking of you. i would just like to thank you for my need for thearpy now!

Comment

Booze, Smokes, and Wood.

OK Neil, you need to move back to Texas. I need a whole library built to hold the volumes of wisdom found in your posts

Comment

Booze, Smokes, and Wood.

Well, I am hoping the best for you!!:H :H
                      Enlightened by MWO

Comment

Booze, Smokes, and Wood.

Neil...Luv u man, such cleverness. I always wondered why they called the drugs, bands and free sex WOOD stock.

Comment

Booze, Smokes, and Wood.

Holy thread revival Batman!

I wrote the original post almost a year ago now. Where has the time gone?

Well, I've been to a few woodworking seminars since that first post. Nothing too involved. Just a few simple chairs, benches, and spice racks.

Someday though, I may just go for it, and tackle a major project. Perhaps a parquet floor or something. That would take YEARS though. Not sure I'm quite ready for that sort of commitment, but who knows. The right set of circumstances might just come up, and I'll be off and running.

N2, a LIBRARY? You might need a a whole community of Amish for that sort of thing. You know how they are into their carpentry!

Neil :wings:

Comment

Booze, Smokes, and Wood.

Neil - If you are ever running by my door, feel free to knock, knock ... knock on wood.

Just wanted to let you know I was most impressed with at least one of your heads this week. Thus went digging for bones. Thanks!

Comment

Booze, Smokes, and Wood.

For all the guys out there...

Neil,

I had noticed this post started last September, so I didn't respond this morning but now I feel I have to. I can be waaay too serious sometimes but I feel this is important.

What you have alluded to here is the sexual health of a male, which is the often made the butt (no pun intended) of many jokes and viagara tales.

What you posted last year is very important and relevant.

A good barometer of a man's health is his sexual health. If a man is having health issues, it will often show up FIRST as a lack of sexual ability. Drinking, and the subsequent results to your health will quite honestly show up there first.

But, there are many other physical causes, such as diabetes, poor heart health, etc.

I am very happy for you that you found you "strength" sans alcohol. That means you have not done permament damage to your body for the most part and have regained your health -- and thus your libido.

However, for others out there, if your man, or you yourself is having "issues" with this, a good checkup with the doctor is in order. There are many underlying causes for this and many of them have to do with things you should address healthwise. Since most of us are drinkers on this site, that is probably the cause, but it may not be, especially if you are not the heavy alcoholic some of us are.

It seems like an embarrassing subject, but it truly is a good indicator of general health for a man and should not be ignored.

Okay. I am sorry to post a serious response to this but felt it important. You guys have a great "barometer" to measure your general health that us gals don't. Use it to your advantage.

Us gals really appreciate it when you do!!

Cindi
                              AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Working...
                              X