Coming to terms.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coming to terms.

I am a new member and i want to tell my story, I have known that i have had a problem of some kind for sometime now. I don't drink everyday, it seems to be just one day on the weekend, it does however result in me getting intoxicated by drinking way too much, at times having a blackout, and feeling very negative in everyway possible the next day. I have had difficulties in coming to terms with this because i am a very successful person, i am very fit, and i have always considered myself very strong and in control. I can say that for the last few years i do not feel in control and this bothers me alot. I do not like who i am when i drink, i do not like the way i feel the next day, and i do not like the way it makes me appear to other people. I keep trying to talk myself out of the quitting drinking thing, saying " i will not be lumped in with the weak people" I am one of those people that sees what needs to be done and then does it! However i am finding this issue very hard to deal with.

Coming to terms.

Did you read the story of the woman who stopped drinking even though she didn't consider herself an alcoholic? I have felt all those things you feel. I'm smart, in shape, and happy - with everything but the drinking element of my life. I encourage you to act on your feelings sooner than later. I wish I had stopped a long time ago. I look back (I'm mid-40s) and realize what time I've lost feeling tired the next day, or regretting getting that out of control. I am tired of worrying about and thinking about. If you worry and think and regret, then it's time to do something. I wish someone had said that to me, rather than "you don't need to quit - you're no alcoholic." Good luck going foward!

Comment

Coming to terms.

Thanks for the reply, this is a very big struggle for me right now, and i know it is something that needs to be done.

Comment

Coming to terms.

hey Island21, i joined yesterday and know those exact feelings - it isnt easy to finally come to terms with what is really going on. at least we have both made the step towards acknowledgment - they say you have to admit there is a problem before you can sort it out. The mosst inspirational thing for me is reading these notes and understanding that we are all human and that making this first step is the critical one for moving forward. Good luck in your quest - i will be thnking of you.

Comment

Working...
        X