Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Topamax Titration Advice

Hi,

I'm waiting on my prescription for baclofen to arrive and was wondering if anyone has taken it for their addiction?

Thanks!
    :h :h :h :h

Topamax Titration Advice

Hello. I might think about taking Baclofen since Topa's side effects were too difficult for me. What is the dosing on that? I just read the research article and see it's available at inhousepharmacy. Wondering where you found the dosing? The article says the doc took high doses. I wonder what that means in numbers?

Well, good luck to you. I appreciate any info you can give me.

Maggie

Comment

Topamax Titration Advice

Hello Maggie,

I just started taking the baclofen yesterday so it's too soon for me to give any advice on how to take it or what side effects it may cause.

Since last night I've felt a little spacey and had just a touch of nervous energy (hands a feet getting just a little sweaty at times) but that's it. Definately something I can handle and sooooooo much better than a hang over.

I took 30mg yesterday. My plan is to take 50mg today and titrate up (side effect dependant) until my cravings are reduced enough to keep my drinking in check for a long enough period of time to change the habbit.

You can check out the case report that Doctor OLIVIER AMEISEN wrote in the Oxford Journal at:

http://alcalc.oxfordjournals.org/cgi...tract/40/2/147

You can also go to the top of this page under new treatments and medications and click on the baclofen link to see the article.

Maggie, baclofen, like topimax, is not to be stopped abruptly. You are supposed to wean yourself from both medications. You can google topimax and baclofen to get dosing informaiton along with side effects for both.

Dr. Ameisen took up to 270mg a day and then reduced his dose to 120mg (You can find this info in the case study). The pills only come in 10mg tabs so if you get up to 270mg that is 27 pills a day!!:shocked: I am hoping I can get a handle on my cravings before I hit 270mg but I'll let you know.

Because of cost, the only thing I am not using from the MWO program are the CD's. I just don't have the money to order them right now.

I am taking all the suppliments and excercising taking the baclofen and praying to God to help me get the upper hand on this addiction.

Your information is right, you can get the generic of baclofen at inhousepharmac, you can also order the topimax from the same site.

Good Luck to you,
      Rachele

Comment

Topamax Titration Advice

Thank you very much Rachele. It sounds like you are heading in the right direction. I will read this article too now.

Maggie

Comment

Topamax Titration Advice

I suppose since I don't know where to put this and since I don't know how to make a public journal I will put my baclofen experience here.

Today is the second full day on baclofen. So I will post about my experience on day one today.
          Day One:

Dose: 70mg throughout the day spit up into 4 doses I had planned on taking 50mg but decided, because it was Friday night, to take another dose to help me through the entire evening. Knowing I am willing to go up to 270mg helped me make that decision along with the way I was feeling.

Craving: On a scale from 1-10 6
          ( I really don't crave alcohol during the day before 4pm so I am going with cravings after 4pm.)

Side effects: Some spaciness nothing I am worried about. Got really sleepy around 10pm Sleept very well with some dizzyness when I got up to go to the bathroom at night. Had a short strange dream. Woke up in the am fine.

Alcohol intake: 3 glasses of wine (not half a bottle glasses, regular glasses) 1shot of vodka in a mixed drink and 1 1/2 shot drink. That's about 5 drinks in 7 hrs. Pretty good for me!

Remember it was Friday night (my licence to drink more than any other night of the week)
          From 4:30 pm to 11:00 pm 7hrs

Plan on taking 100mg today.

RYL

Comment

Topamax Titration Advice

dear imagine:
            i am not on baclofen - but i do like your idea of having your journal right here so we can all view it.
            i am interested in seeing how bac. works for you and how topa is working for me.
            keep posting - i think it is a great learning experience for others who might be interested in taking bac. as opposed to topa. Perhaps bac. is easier to get than topa. or perhaps the side effects are quite different.
            thanks for your input.
            luci

Comment

Topamax Titration Advice

Good Afternoon!

Yesterday I planned on going up to 100mg. But did not because of a few side effects that were somewhat worriesome.

I had some weakness in my arms and became incredibly tired around 5pm. So I stayed at 80mg. I will keep going up just a little slower than I wanted to.

Dose: 80mg

Cravings: 6

Side effects: I got really tired yesterday about 5pm, but it got better later in the evening. Me and hubby stayed up til after midnight:heart:
              Weakness in my arms and hands.
              Occasional loss of balance and verdigo
              Emotional; crying easily at times. Laughing more than usual. Nothing creepy just something I am noticing.
              A hard to explain emotion of really enjoying moments .....that's all I can say about it it's just a feeling that's hard to describe.
              daydreaming

None of these is so bad or weird that I am willing to stop taking the medication. I will just titrate up slower. Plan on taking 90-110 mg today.

I slept really well last night and I have been waking up refreshed and with NO HANG-OVER!:wd:

I had 4 drinks last night but it was Saturday night and 4 drinks on a Saturday nigth is really good for me. My goal is 3 - 4 drinks on Friday or Saturday and abstinence during the week.

I'll be checking in tomorrow with more.

Have a great Sunday!

Rachele

Comment

Topamax Titration Advice

keep posting and keep up the great work
                luci

Comment

Topamax Titration Advice

took baclofen

Hi,

I took baclofen about 15 years ago for about 2 years. It was not for drinking it was for muscle spasms. Actually, I drank a lot less then but never made the connection. Bac made me feel all "rubbery" for a couple of weeks but then my body got used to it. I have to check into this so thanks for the tip!:thanks:

Ivy

Comment

Topamax Titration Advice

Ivy,

It's nice to know someone that has taken baclofen. It makes it a little less scary:thanks:

Luci,

Thanks for the encouragement:wings:
                    Yes, I love to read what people are taking, how much of it, and how they are doing too. If the baclofen doesn't work than I am ready to go topa. I really could stand to loose some weight and that side effect is very alluring to me!

See you back here tomorrow

Rachele

Comment

Topamax Titration Advice

great - i look forward to it.
                      luci

Comment

Topamax Titration Advice

Happy Monday!

I took 100mg of baclofen yesterday and I know now that I have to go back down to 80mg and dose up slower. I've only been taking this for four days so I will try to go up slower and see if that helps.

Dose: 100mg

Craving: 4-5
                        I had a beer when I went out to eat with a friend. I think it was mostly out of habbit (isn't that what we are supposed to do when we go out to eat )

Side effects:
                        deliriously tired several times during the day:nutso: the eyes crossing, can't see straight, can't think about anything but where I'm gonna lay my head down right this very instant kind of tired.
                        My arms and hands were very weak so much so that I was a little worried.
                        I slept really well, once I went to bed, but woke up this morning feeling sleepy and a little foggy still.

I am the heaviest I've been in a long time. I really want to loose weight and am trying on my own. Can anyone tell me about the weight loss they've experienced on topimax and about their side effects from it. I've seen people say they've had moments of "topa dopa" but I really don't know what that means and how long it lasts. What kind of weigth loss are we talking about with topimax? A few pounds or significant weight loss?

Your time and input are greatly appreciated!:thanks:

Rachele

Comment

Topamax Titration Advice

Baclofen

I?m in touch with an MWO patient who suffers neuropathic pain, for which Baclofen is often prescribed. He said he noted craving reduction but it also made him very sleepy (I don't recall his dosage) and he eventually discontinued taking it. As I understand, he was starting other meds at the same time, which may have exacerbated his fatigue. It's possible, given more time, this side effect would have passed. Dr. Ameisen, cited above, reported overcoming fatigue at a 120 mg. daily dose after titrating down from 270 mg. per day. So it may simply be a matter of hanging in there until this particular side effect passes.

I don't remember if the Business Journal article linked from our research area was posted earlier, but if not, it's excellent and describes Dr. Ameisen? successful exercise in self-experimentation. A man after my own heart. :-)

Good luck with the medication and we look forward to your continued reports!

RJ
                          ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Help keep our forum strong--make a contribution to My Way Out. Or show your support by becoming a Subscriber and enjoy enhanced features, as well!

Comment

Topamax Titration Advice

RJ,

Thank you for your advice and time regarding my experience with baclofen

I really went backward yesterday! Only took 50mg of baclofen because I had to work and was worried I would not only feel crossed eyed tired, I was worried I would look:nutso:crosseyed tired.

Anyway, by the end of the night I had three glasses of wine:upset: They make it too easy for me! I'm done with my shift, I turn to walk out the door and the bar is just sitting there with all the stuff I love and nobody at it except the bartender, a couple of good friends, and all the free drinks anyone could ever want!

Dose: 50mg

Craving: 10

Side effects: Not many.....a little slow with thoughts a little tired a little weakness in my arms and hands

Alcohol intake: 3 glasses of wine:blush:

I plan on taking 60mg today.

I hope everyone has a great day!

Rachele

Comment

Topamax Titration Advice

question

:l Rachele
                              Before you get too down on yourself, how much would you normally have had? Is 3 glasses how much you would have had normally after a shift?
                              Did you find the cravings as much as before the bacloven?
                              Maybe you are being too critical of yourself?
                              Just a thought. Hang in there, hon, you are still at the beginning stages, remember - and HABIT plays a major role....
                              Today is a new day - just LEARN from it, k?
                              Hugs
                              Jen:h
                              Over 4 months AF :h

Comment

Working...
                              X