Day 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Day 1

I finally admitted to myself that I have a problem with drinking. Over the years, my tolerance level has increased more and more. Last night, I drank 2 bottles of wine. I drank every night (1 - 1/2 bottles of wine). I am damn tired of living a lie and hiding in the fog. Today, I went to my doctor and told him the truth and wanted his help. I had research Topamax from MWO and he concurred. I took my first 25 mg. dose 2 hours ago. Not drinking any wine at this point. It is scarey though. But I am not going to look back. Just take it one day at a time. I plan to order the cds and try some of the nutritional suggestions. Any advise and support along the way beyond Day 1 will be really appreciated.

Steverino

Day 1

Hi Steverino:welcome:

I'd suggest you read as much as you can absorb - this site can keep you occupied for hours. Sometimes really handy when you get the "itch" to grab a drink ...

Hope you stick with us.
    Tawny

Comment

Day 1

Welcome, Steverino.

You've taken the hardest step: admitting to yourself (and to someone else) that the problem exists. Just don't lose sight of the fact that it does get better, the longer you get from that last drink (or drunk).

It's a comprehensive program, though, and you should keep in mind that it's more than just the topamax. The medication works wonders, but it works best in concert with the supplements, hypnotherapy, support (such as the discussions here) and exercise. The most important thing is really just TALKING. So keep coming back to the boards, and read read read. And post as often as you feel comfortable -- maybe even more than you feel comfortable. You'll find that this is a very supportive, caring community. We've all been through hell with alcohol and we're all here for basically the same reason: to get better.

Wishing you the best --

Mike
      "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Comment

Day 1

You CAN do this! Baby steps and I echo what Mike says (thanks, Mike for your nod to me as well!) We are all cut of the same cloth here and understand each other...there is no judging. I am only 7 days personally but I continue to amaze myself as I was a 1 - 1 1/2 bottle of vino a night drinker. It can be done.

Comment

Working...
        X