Wishful Drinking by Carrie Fisher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A potted history of her life, starting with her parents (Debbie Reynolds & Eddie Fisher) lives, then Star Wars, then her manic depression and addictions.

Lots of funny bits and rueful insight into her various problems. And lots of one-liners: "You could say I don't have a problem with drugs so much as I have a problem with sobriety."
    sigpic
    AF since December 22nd 2008
    Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Marshy, Great book! Carrie has a way of communicating so much truth mixed with intelligent wit and humor. Another book of hers that was made in to a Movie, "Postcards from the Edge", is a real favorite of mine.
    A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

Kate,
      I loved Postcards - book and film. She's basically retelling the same story over again in each book, isn't she? But she is a funny writer. I liked lots of bits in Wishful Drinking - turning men bald and gay, being "stalked" by Cary Grant.
      And I had no idea she'd been married to Paul Simon!
      sigpic

Comment

Marshy,
        I agree, many of her books are different parts of her story. I do remember when she married Paul Simon.....I think it lasted 7 minutes!!

It is interesting...the first time that I watched the movie...Postcards from the Edge....I was awakened to some aspects of my own drinking.....which, by the way was in full bloom at the time! But, I think that somethings in that moview, really hit home to me and eventually helped me begin my road to sobriety!

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

I'm going to have to get this one!
          The Universe stirs up our comfortable nests, and pushes us over the edge of them, forcing us to use out wings...

Comment

One of the funniest books I have read in a long time!!!
            The Universe stirs up our comfortable nests, and pushes us over the edge of them, forcing us to use out wings...

Comment

reneesmiles;770205 wrote: One of the funniest books I have read in a long time!!!
              She's good, isn't she? Glad you enjoyed it!
              sigpic

Comment

Glad you had fun with it Renee! I am very excited to be going to NYC in Sept. with my BFF from HS. We are going to see Carrie's one woman show, "Wishful Drinking" on Broadway!! I hope it is still there in Sept!

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

KateH1;835075 wrote: Glad you had fun with it Renee! I am very excited to be going to NYC in Sept. with my BFF from HS. We are going to see Carrie's one woman show, "Wishful Drinking" on Broadway!! I hope it is still there in Sept!
                  I hope you are also going to see my BFF there. Mags.

OMG. I want to be with you guys.

So tired of this charade.

Sooooo tired.

Love,
                  Cindi

Mags knows, gets it, understands.
                  AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Yes, Cindi, I have talked about this with Mags and I am hoping that she will be available to join us! That would definitely make that night extra special! I had such a blast last time in NYC with Professor Mags!!

xx Kate

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

Read it in a very short time and felt I was communicating with a kindred spirit. It is brave people in the public eye who help those of us in the private sector. So good to know that one's struggles do not need to be done alone.........

Comment

Once again, another disappointing book for me.

I keep looking for books to help people in their recovery process and I found very few pearls of wisdom here.

I like Carrie Fisher for her wit and sense of humor so if you're looking for a read to learn more about her past, etc. then you may enjoy it. But if you're looking for a book to help you in your recovery process - this is not the book for you.

My recommendation: Go to the library for it and save your money if other people have piqued your interest.

Please keep in mind however, this is just my opinion - but I've read a hundred books (I swear) this last year on helping us all in the AL struggle and this is not one I found a lot of value in for people hoping to find a good read for their drinking problems.

Hugs,
                        Eve11
                        "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

I didn't really care for the book either. It is ok, but I was a little disappointed. If anyone is interested though, I will send you my copy. Just pm me your address and pay for shipping.
                          The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Eve11;852717 wrote:
                            I keep looking for books to help people in their recovery process and I found very few pearls of wisdom here.
                            But if you're looking for a book to help you in your recovery process - this is not the book for you.
                            Eve,

To be fair, this book is not aimed at helping other people. It's her memoirs about her life and addictions. She doesn't set out to give advice to other people. It's not about that at all.
                            It's about - gasp! - fun.

How about starting a thread about books that are aimed at helping other people and that you have found useful?
                            sigpic

Comment

Marshy;855693 wrote: Eve,

To be fair, this book is not aimed at helping other people. It's her memoirs about her life and addictions. She doesn't set out to give advice to other people. It's not about that at all.
                              It's about - gasp! - fun.
                              You're right Marshy. This thread was just about what we're reading - not about what books are helping us in our recovery process.

I agree, it is a fun book because Carrie is very witty.

I guess in my struggles of trying to understand this alcohol problem and alcoholism for folks I'm focused on books that help people in the recovery process so my comments were directed toward that. A thread about books that help people in their recovery process is not a bad idea.

:l
                              Eve11
                              "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Working...
                              X