Jumping aboard mid month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jumping aboard mid month

It is November and I have been thinking since the beginning of the month that it is time for me to once again get myself into check.
    I really related to a post I read about "seeing our spare time being taken over by drinking,- something we did not have in mind for the rest of her life."
    I posted a thread last year about "post menopause drinking" Hoping to get some support in my AF or moderate drinking campaign for November 08
    I am asking once again if ther are others who are seeing themselves developing a lifestyle where it is becoming very difficult to moderate their drinking.
    I like them, have always taken a drink but seems that as the responsibilities for raising my family is over I am quietly and ever so easily drifting into a place where I am craving that drink every day at 6 or 7 o'clock. I am finding it acceptable to have three or four every evenning.
    Then, (like you maybe) I am thinking, is this the way I want to spend the rest of my life.
    My husband is off for 30 days on his annual business trip again so I am back for your support.
    The forums really helped me last year so hope to keep in touch again. Hopeful that I will be able to continue well past the 30 days this year.

Jumping aboard mid month

Hello Wannabee!

No-one responded to you yet, so I thought I would. I am exactly the same as you, been wandering around this forum for what seems like forever, thinking I can moderate, that I am in control, but once again fallen on my backside!:upset: As you said, I am indeed seeing myself developing that lifestyle of too much drinking far too often, how much more of this can I take, I am so fed up and disgusted yet again. Can I really believe myself when I say that this time must be the end of my "affair" with booze? Do I set myself up again to fail yet again?

Sorry, what a depressing response! Just not feeling too good about things at the momet, give me a kick in the behind, please:thanks: I was thinking of going back to read some of my old posts, but I fear that would make me feel worse!
    Best wishes!
    Last (I wish!)

Comment

Jumping aboard mid month

Hi Last Of and Wannabe ~~ Sounds like your both ready for a change .. You know the problem and you know how to fix it too .. Its just a matter of "doing it" wanting it bad enough ! I don't mean to make it sound easy , but it can be easier if you just commit to making a change. I committed to 30 days AF , after the first week it was easy , there wasn't an option to drink , I made a promise to myself.. Just try 3 days if 30 seems unbearable at this time , try ODAT , just try to get some AF days under your belt , trust me , you will feel SO good ! Get on DrinkTracker , I love signing in everynight and putting that " 0 " beside my name... If I can do it , You can do it ! :l Em
      Non Drinker 9/09
      Non Smoker 6/09
      Tennis Anyone ?

Comment

Jumping aboard mid month

vulnerable times

Thanks for taking an interest in my thread.I think we just look at the thread Jumping in mid month to keep in contact right. I am interested in hearing your plights.

Yesterday day 1 for AF. Kept myself busy(extra housekeeping chores) in my vulnerable time 6pm to 8.
        I think it may have helped me telling the kids on Monday night that I was giving them the last beer out of the fridge and that I would not be buying anymore while Don(husband) was away. Funny thing is I found two beer in the back of the fridge last night and was just able to smile to myself and leave them there. It felt really good to have the conviction to do so. I will be put my to the test with them being there.

I have just gone through a period of disappointment in myself. Disappointment in that I am not asking a big thing of myself, all I am asking ofmyself is not to take a drink Monday to Thursday. Asking my self not to drink on a empty stomach. Asking myself to have the determination to always have food with a drink otherwise it will be the alcohol that is destroying my reason. Asking myself to leave it at two beers.
        It is only the hour or so before I put dinner on the table that I need to get through. Why is this so difficult?
        My brain registers after my first beer-No I don't really want to moderate I want to get past that and into the " things feel great state" which we all know leads to the really buzzed or inebriated state on to many days. Leaving me feeling I have lost the battle again. I then feel disappointed with myself. I have a hard time coming to grips with the idea that it is not our fault. It is our chemistry, something in our past or what ever. It is part of our character. We must like the feeling that the alcohol gives us or why would we keep putting ourselves through this humiliation. Why saywe want to control our intake and then not stand behind our resolve.

Comment

Jumping aboard mid month

Hi Wannabee, welcome back. I am glad you are here for more help. It sounds like you really want to be posting with monthly abstinence or an AF thread. I would recommend for anyone wanting to drink moderately to first go 30 days AF. I wish you well in making your decision, and finding what will work for you.
          My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Jumping aboard mid month

Beers in the fridge

I was put to the test, and failed .
            Dispite the arguements in my head, I ended up drinking those to beer I found in the fridge yesterday.
            Am confused why. I am know I would have been able to leave them in a premenopause life. I had other responsibilites to address in the evening.
            I am worried, althought after reading the terrible struggles that others have to deal with I realize I'm far from an alcoholic,that I will end up like my dear Mom. I only have wonderful memories of her as a child but once all the kids where gone she had some terribly big issues with alcohol.
            Tomorrow a new conviction to start again. AF seems like it is going to be hard.

Comment

Jumping aboard mid month

Wannabee,
              Would you want to consider posting in the ODAT thread under general discussion? Your posts still sound like you don't want to drink, and maybe that approach would help you get in some more AF time. Just another option to consider. The ODAT thread is under Just Starting Out.
              My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Jumping aboard mid month

Checking in again on this thread. Have started three times now to go AF, going for three of four days at a time AF. Little less then happy with myself for not going AF completely but on a positive note I have kept to the drinking two beers so suppose that is modding.
                Have done some reading on the strenght of positive thinking RATHER then negative thinking on our approach to our lives( our approach to out drinking issues.)
                In short this is what I would like to share on the positivity approach:
                Turn off the negative little voice in your head immediately. Be forceful in a counter attack, openly talking back to yourself saying something like- Stop it. That is enough. Snap out of it. (even wearing an elastic band on your wrist and snap it as you say it)Never accept the negative voice telling you that maybe you would be ok with another drink.
                Substitute pleasant or distracting thoughts like ; last time I only had one drink .- I am strong- I am determined. I feel proud of myself for saying NO.
                Keep an optimism journal writing down when you have been proud of your drinking plan and why you are grateful for your resolve.(sort of like the drink tracker I suppose)

Wishes to all for strenght and conviction in Dec. It is a hard month, but one which will leave us proud of what we can do. Let`s nuture ourselves.

Comment

Working...
                X