Living Sober

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Living Sober

This is an AA publication but it's not about the 12-steps, it's a practical guide about daily life when giving up alcohol. And there's a quick reference section to look up frequently asked questions (which often come up on this forum), such as:

* How do I explain to people why I'm not drinking?
    *What should I say at a party?
    * What about sex?

I only started it today, but it seems like a useful handbook.
    sigpic
    AF since December 22nd 2008
    Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Living Sober

Sounds interesting, Marshy........must take a peek. Thanks.

The "What about sex?" one made me laugh though, `cos had loadsa sex in my party girl/drunk days. Guess I`m more `picky` since sobering up, `cos it should read........."What the heck is sex?" rather than what about it!!!!

Jeeeeeeeeez, I gotta get out more!!!! :H

Star x
    Formerly known as Starlight Impress.

Comment

Living Sober

:H:H

Star, I couldn't agree more! There's probably a market for a whole book about sober dating/sex. And where to find sober people to date (outside of AA meetings).
      sigpic

Comment

Living Sober

Marshy, I'm glad you mentioned that book. I've seen it in the book case where I attend most AA meetings but haven't really read much of it. Might want to add it to the home library.

Hey - if you decide to write that book about sober sex, make sure to include a section for menopausal sober sex, OK? :H

DG
        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
        Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Living Sober

Doggygirl;764106 wrote: , make sure to include a section for menopausal sober sex, OK? :H

DG
          Oh god, don't tell me it gets even more complicated :lalala:
          sigpic

Comment

Living Sober

lol:H

Hi Mashy,
            I went to a meeting last week on a monday, first time going on a monday evening a lady i know said get this book it help her through the first 2weeks being sober.....so im reading this book right now and it is helpful my first book from AA......living sober.
            Formerly known as Teardrop:l
            sober dry since 11th Jan '2010' relapse/slip on 23/7/13 working in progress ! Sober date 25/7/13 ( True learning has often followed an eclipse, a time of darkness, but with each cycle of my recovery, the light grows stronger and my vision is clearer. (AA)
            my desire to avoid hitting bottom again was more powerful then my desire to drink !

Comment

Living Sober

Catch - please enlighten about the sex part - between what Doggy, Marshy & starlight wrote, I was laughing so hard I thought I might start crying . . . .oh God . . . .now I'll have to actually be AWARE of all this? . . . . . .eeeeek!

Comment

Living Sober

Living sober is a great read with some down to earth advice on problems of everyday life when we stop drinking. It was one of the first books given to me at an AA meeting and is really a quick read that is extremely meaningful for all of us.
                One of my AA meetings on the weekends actually uses this book alternating with the big book at the weekly meetings for discussion.

Living Sober and I Came to Believe are both easy reads.
                Glad this thread was started.

Winefree

Comment

Living Sober

Living Sober is my favorite AA book....I highly recommend it.

flower

Comment

Living Sober

A great book. Have read and re-read it. Came To Believe is great, also. Read it in rehab, but don't have my own copy.
                    "One day at a time."

Comment

Working...
                    X