Insomnia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insomnia

I have been awake for 68 straight hours. I had a detailed explanation that took me 20 minutes to write but it disappeared when I hit submit and told me I wasn't logged on. BS. I'm getting cranky even though I'm not tired. Does anyone know of anybody with a similar experince?
    Original version went something like this:
    I had my last drink 11/22/09 around 11pm after a full day of drinking (again). As I was apprehensive about an appointment the following day I didn't fall asleep until about 2-3 am. I got up around 6 AM and have not had a minute of sleep since. Monday the 23rd was the first day of not drinkng and I was feeling the effects of withdrawl that afternoon; queasey stomach and hands shaking then the rest of the body. Sweats and chills. I drank a cup of coffee till mmid-morning an tried to a bigmac but could only choke down about 3/4. Drove home and drank water all day and every day since. Didn't have any interest in eating but I knew I needed something with my nightly regimen of 5 pills to control my high blood pressure and cholesterol and few morevitamins supplements, so I made a slice of toast and drank a V-8. Went to bed around my usual time of 11 to 12 pm. I would usually set the TV timer to turn off the TV after 1 hour but I woud usually fall asleep after10 minutes. I was not feeling tired and sleep was impossible. After a couple of hours of trying get to sleep I left the bedroom and went to the living room where I' gave a smoke and watch TV. I started playing solitaire on my PDA as that would usually cause me to fall asleep too. Still nothing. I went into the living room to repeat.
    11/24
    Morning wake up is 5:40 am and I stuck to my regular scedule even though I wasn't going in to work as I was too shakey, nauseated and wretching. I drink water all day every day and around 7:30 PM had a yogurt. Kept my regular schedule so I went to bed before midnight and had arepeat of the previos night.
    11/25
    Began at the usual time and a repeat of the previous day continued wit the exceptions that shaking was declining and I was getting an appetite back but pain was increasing in back and left hip (pre-existing coondition) and my body as a whole was feeling acher. Did not bother to go to bed that night pidded around all night doing various things.
    11/26
    Alarm has just now gone off so the day has just begun and I'llestimate the hours so far: nearly 72 hours and I begin my fifth day of no sleep whatsoever

Insomnia

Welcome, RubberDuckie!

Not sleeping drove me NUTS when I first stopped drinking. It's a very common withdrawal symptom. I found melatonin helped me sleep for a few nights until my body clock sorted itself out naturally. There are various herbal remdies available. I'm sure other people will be along with their recommendations.
    sigpic
    AF since December 22nd 2008
    Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

Insomnia

Hi RubberDuckie,

My doctor specializes in alternative medicine. She is wonderful. I had your same problem. This is what she put me on since Melatonin was completely USELESS, and she wouldn't put me on Ambien. It's called Best-Rest Formula, and it's from Pure Encapsulations, 490 Boston Post Road, Sudbury, MA 01776. It works like a charm-no side effects. Take 2 capsules 1/2 hour before you want to be asleep. Good luck and God Bless!

Rusty

Comment

Insomnia

Hi RubberDuckie,
        When i first stop drinking i was always tired, but i did loss my appetite for quiet awhile.
        Now i go through stages where i cant sleep sometimes i take nytol it does help me sleep, take it half hour b4 bedtime hope it helps. btw Welcome to mwo....
        Formerly known as Teardrop:l
        sober dry since 11th Jan '2010' relapse/slip on 23/7/13 working in progress ! Sober date 25/7/13 ( True learning has often followed an eclipse, a time of darkness, but with each cycle of my recovery, the light grows stronger and my vision is clearer. (AA)
        my desire to avoid hitting bottom again was more powerful then my desire to drink !

Comment

Insomnia

Hi Duckie -

I've had good luck with Advil PM (non habit-forming). You might give it a try before trying something prescription... Plus, you get benefit of getting some pain relief.

I think if you don't sleep again tonight, you may want to see Dr. It can be dangerous not to sleep for long time... Can cause psychosis. Not to scare you - but you need to do something soon.

Also, you may want to stay clear of caffeinated drinks. There are calming teas you could try, too.
          Sometimes you have to take the leap and build your wings on the way down... Anais Nin

Comment

Insomnia

OK, Rusty's advice is probably the way I'd go long term. The girl knows her stuff. Also, besides caffeine, avoid the computer, cell phones, exercise, I know everyday life. Sometimes, for quick, temporary relief my doc advises just plain ole Benadryl. Don't mix with other meds, don't overdose. Sleep in a completely quiet, completely dark room, cool. This is very normal after you quit alcohol, because your body isn't used to falling asleep, but passing out. Like you've been previously advised, get medical attention if you don't get relief right away. Good luck, and stay sober.
            sigpic
            Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
            awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Insomnia

Marshy;764578 wrote: Welcome, RubberDuckie!

Not sleeping drove me NUTS when I first stopped drinking. It's a very common withdrawal symptom. I found melatonin helped me sleep for a few nights until my body clock sorted itself out naturally. There are various herbal remdies available. I'm sure other people will be along with their recommendations.
              Marshy I found Melatonin worked well for me too!! Ok, this may sound dumb, but what I do also is once I've found a real comfy spot, with each breath in I think of the word 'sleep'. I do the same for each breath out. Stops me from thinking thoughts that slip into my brain, and the next thing I know, I'm waking up in the morning. I took 2-3 little pills 20 mins before I wanted to fall asleep.
              Anyway..worked for me.
              DLA :h
              Of all vices, drinking is the most incompatible with greatness
              Sir Walter Scott
              --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Insomnia

Thanks for all the advice and kind words.

I know I will be getting some sleep now because I've been on the verge a few times now. I'll miss our family dinner today but I'm sending along a serving platter as a plate they can use to send back home for me.
                Thanks again and I'm doing great as far as abstaining!

Comment

Insomnia

Hi rubber duckie

For a quick sleep fix, see a doctor to get a few sleeping pills.
                  You cannot think rationally without sleep!
                  Once you are not so tired, you can then concentrate on getting the right food and vitamin intake to feel better.

Look after yourself, and keep in touch,
                  Jafa
                  MWO is a blessing, thank you.

Comment

Insomnia

Rubberduckie, you really don't want to drink anything caffeinated. That's all the advice I can offer right now as I'm not in good shape myself. My best to you.
                    I've been walking, a long and crooked path. Come my restoration, wash my body clean...

Comment

Insomnia

Rubberduckie~

Can TOTALLY relate! Just got done my second day AF. Last night wasn't bad because I had a hangover that left me really lethargic. Tonight? Not so Lucky...

Took a Benadryl a couple of hours ago which usually does the trick for me. But I'm awake...so very wide awake!

Hope you've made it into Dreamland! Congratulations on the AF days under your belt!!

Comment

Insomnia

OBTW...

When I was lying in bed realizing I couldn't fall asleep, my FIRST thought was to go make a drink. Not going to do it, but was surprised at how quickly it came to mind. Drinking is definitely part mental habit!

Comment

Insomnia

Ducky,
                          You should be feeling better now - after the first 3 days the nervous system calms down. Just go easy on yourself. It will get better.
                          Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts.
                          AF since May 6, 2010

Comment

Working...
                          X