Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is this happening?

Hey there!

So here is the deal. My name is John, I live in Israel and I'm 24 years old. In general, my life is pretty good. I mean, I'm very good looking, tall, I make good money, self confident, intelligent etc. However, I have a drinking and drug problem. I drink a lot, do drugs, and constantly cross the line when intoxicated and heavily regret my actions the day after.

I can't understand the reason for this lack in self-control, the reason I can't limit myself. This, obviously, has implications on every aspect of my life - work, love life, friendship.

I used to ignore this issue - it seemed ok, or even cool when I was 17. But I have reached this point in my life where I realize that I can't even get myself a girlfriend because I reach these retarded levels of drunkness that my friends have to carry me home.

I don't see myself as a depressed person, which makes it even harder for me to find the rational for this habit. I'm a happy energetic person which gets along perfectly with everyday enviorments, so why the hell do I have this constant need to escape sobriety?

Thanks!

Why is this happening?

Hi John and welcome. I suppose every indivicual has their own reason for escaping sobriety. Maybe you just don't have a "cut-off" switch. I'm sure through reading posts, you will find people similar to yourself. Do you want to quit drinking altogether or just control it? Perhaps you could download RJ's book and give it a read to sort out a plan for yourself. Good luck in your journey! Stick around, there is lots of support and advice here.
    sigpic
    Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Why is this happening?

hi john,welcom,wow.intelligence has nothing to to with alcholism,ive been doing this since the early 80 s im 56,never got really bad till i was 45,depression came on after 45 years,ive got a good grasp on it now,ive fallin a few times but i also was put into one of the best rehab centers in the world and im not rich,good benefit and a great company tht cared about my health,and yes tht is how far it can get to,think of it this way,if you were told peanuts woulf kill you you would stop eating peanuts,yes,note i dont have a problem stopping,staying stopped and wanting to is the question and answer,eventually you wont be able to stop,you mt even lose everything you got,keep comin here give it 30 days clean,then you decide if you need it or not but give it 30 days good luck gyco

Comment

Why is this happening?

hi greeneers

Comment

Why is this happening?

I would stop eating peanuts if they were only bad for me, but if they gave me this specific high and helped me escape boredom then I would keep eating them like crazy. Maybe boredom is what I'm trying to escape from. I don't mind alcohol, just not at the levels I currently consume. Every time before going out I tell myself that today I'll control myself. The fact that I never manage is what worries me.

Comment

Why is this happening?

By the way, I wasn't trying to brag when writing about myself. I was just trying to point out that I'm all in all satisfied with who I am and what I do, and I'm just trying to find out the reason that causes me to take this route. Also, I don't only drink when going out, I many times drink and snort lines when alone at home, as I'm doing right now when writing this post.

I'm obviously an addict. However, I don't have the urge to get fucked up when I wake up in the morning or while I'm at work, so I don't think it's outright alcoholism or drug addiction. What is it then?

Comment

Why is this happening?

In my unprofessional opinion, if you can't stop when you start, you have an addiction. Maybe move past semantics and decide what you want to do about it. Quit for 30 days?
              sigpic

Comment

Why is this happening?

You might want to check out the sinclaire method. I have been on it for about 3 weeks. I have not had a 20+ drink night since starting. Yeah my friend I know all to well about the black-outs and the BS you do when wasted drunk. I got a few years on you..42 here. Trust me nip it in the bud at 24 and it sounds like you want to. Work wise and material I have never lost anything and like you never party in the morning. But as you progress down deeper in the bottle the depression becomes hell on earth and personal relationships, family , friends they all get sick of the behaviour and the empty promises.

Good Luck with however you decide to go quit or moderate but you are doing the right thing nipping the beast at 24

Comment

Why is this happening?

BTW, I'm much older than you and the morning activitiy came later on as addiction progressed. Crown 86 is correct; good to recognize it and do something now at a young age.
                  sigpic

Comment

Why is this happening?

Thanks for all the advice. I know I'm probably much younger than the majority of the people here, but I do want to stress that what I have is a ream problem. I've been drinking heavily since the age of 16 (makes it 8 years now) and it seems to get worse...

crown86, you mentioned the Sinclair method. I just googled it and ended up reading about Depade/Revia. Do these things work? Does anybody here have any experience with taking Naltrexone?

Comment

Why is this happening?

Also, greeneyes, how long did it take until you woke up in the morning with an urge for a drink?

Comment

Why is this happening?

For me, the urge only required me to be out of bed. Sometimes the urge would get me out of bed.

I had all the great stuff too... great job, my first house, etc. Then it just seemed like I was hell bent on destroying everything decent in the life I had. There's really no rhyme or reason. You'll waste a lot of time trying to figure out the WHY, when we all ask ourselves that.
                        Kelly

Comment

Why is this happening?

John

I was just like you in regards to once I start I cant stop. Since taking the naltrexone...the way the sinclaire method works in a nutshell is you take the pill one hour prior to drinking...I have not been out of control once. The whole principal behind this method is pharmacological extinction meaning reverse addiction. Check out the book The cure for alcoholism and here is a link to the sinclaire forum.. thesinclairmethod.com • Index page and there is also information in the meds section on this site. I can tell you for me this pill so far has been an absolute miracle. I have taken the pill and then I was in the mindset to just get wrecked to the point of black-out and pass-out and for some reason I never got passed drink 4 over 6 hours..LOL this was last night. the naltrexone kinda takes the "bang" out of the buzz. Hard to describe. You can still get drunk but it's so noticiably different it's kinda like why do it. I am pretty sure you know what I mean by the "bang" that intial high that you try to maintain and chase all night but end up going over the edge in the process of maintaining.

LOL it's almost like a dopy dog chasing a butterfly constantly looking up, paying no attention to where he is going and then boom he falls off a cliff

Comment

Why is this happening?

UrbanFool;773302 wrote: For me, the urge only required me to be out of bed. Sometimes the urge would get me out of bed.

I had all the great stuff too... great job, my first house, etc. Then it just seemed like I was hell bent on destroying everything decent in the life I had. There's really no rhyme or reason. You'll waste a lot of time trying to figure out the WHY, when we all ask ourselves that.
                            I know this all too well the INSANITY of addiction

Comment

Why is this happening?

Oh yeah, I know the "bang". It's like, all I look for is this perfect high, but can't manage maintaining this perfect high without the next drink in my hand... Sounds like naltrexone is something I should seriously look in to.

Comment

Working...
                              X