Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday October 2nd

Good Morning Abbers,

Just a quick one to start todays thread off.
    Been to the jobcentre this morning and applied for a job as a grounds person, at a posh hotel right on the lake at Windermere....I really hope i get it...Would suit me down to the ground...
    I've been getting really bored latley and the taxi thing looks like its going to be a non starter...The Mackeral family needs some direction at the moment.

Be back on later....Have a good day all..........Love Macks
    I don't care who you are...Your not walking on water while i'm fishing..
    One drink is too many... A thousand is never enough...Sober since July 2nd 2009

Monday October 2nd

Good morning everyone --

Just a quick hello to say good morning and good day to everyone. Another very busy day here and I was tempted to just get about my business and then I remembered that that is how i got away from here before. While I have not incorporated all elements of the program back into my daily routine yet, I do think it is important to do something! Its real easy for me to put everything and anything first and deal with me last. And as we all know, that NEVER works.

Nancy - so glad to hear the wedding was a success. Looking forward to details!
    Mack - I hope the job comes through - it sounds good! Something good will happen. Believe it!

See you all later.

Kate

Comment

Monday October 2nd

Nervously dipping my toe in....

Good morning abbers
      Oh boy. Deep breath.
      I think I have made a decision to join you wonderful wonderful inspirational people for october (maybe longer). I think I have decided (notice the hesitancy - please don't throw anything at me - I am NERVOUS!!) - that abs - at least for a while - you know what "they" say (one day at a time, which I have to say I have been repeating to myself lately), might be the best route for me. Thanks Gabs for taking the time to answer lots and lots of questions Ive had, You are truly a sweetheart.
      So.....I am upping my topa to 175 mg today, making sure I have all my supps at hand, and willl also be sticking super close to these boards, cause I need all the help I can get!! - most of you are probably wondering (she is sticking close to these boards? what else is knew? Ok, I admit it, I am ALWAYS here LOL)
      But dont worry mods - (I know some of them check these boards)- I am still sticking around those boards regularly too....I know, I know, I have to have my cake and eat it too - at least on the boards even though I wont be drinking...
      Oh God.
      Well, thats it. I said it.
      I love you all
      HELP
      Jen
      Over 4 months AF :h

Comment

Monday October 2nd

Hiya Kate and Jen,
        Kate you are dead right...I can take this place for granted sometimes and it can be lethal....Glad to see you back and posting regularly.
        Jenneh, it would be great to see you in Absville...and if you dont try...you dont know...Gotta be worth a shot.
        And dont worry...None of us bite..( apart from Gabby )
        I don't care who you are...Your not walking on water while i'm fishing..
        One drink is too many... A thousand is never enough...Sober since July 2nd 2009

Comment

Monday October 2nd

Good morning

Thanks for starting out Mack - don't work too hard. Are you the mayor this week? Wouldn't that be three jobs???

Kate, you have to take care of yourself before you can take care of your "stuff". You are right about this board.

Jen, so glad you are here. This is day one for me (well, it's 6:30 AM - so far so good). You are such a giving person - I've seen you reach out to so many people on the boards, offering to be there for them - even with legal advise. It's nice to see you taking something for yourself and reaching out. This is a great place to be.

Nancy, the wedding sounded beautiful. Now it's time to relax.

Kathy - tomorrow's the big day?? I have a friend who has a BD on Oct 3 - haven't seen her in years. My ex's daughter (my son's sister) also has a BD tomorrow.

Good morning to all who follow. Today is going to be the first day of AF for me. I am tired of waking up feeling this way. I have to work tonight - I think I'll take a Calm Forte on the way home form work so that I am ready for bed by the time I get home. A friend of mine mentioned that that she is always looking for something to do on Saturday and Sunday afternoons. These are my toughest times - I've always been an afternoon drinker. So, if I can fill the time otherwise it would be very helpful.

Everyone have a great day.

Comment

Monday October 2nd

Good Morning.

Good morning all!

Well, it's getting close to tomorrow's quit date!:eeks: I'm feeling scared and relieved. I'm glad that I know from experience that once the quit date is here, it really gets easier. The anticipation is much worse than the reality. I'm more worried about just being anxious and a tad cranky than any real withdrawal this week. I'm looking forward to eating well again and resuming my weight loss and exercise program.

I'm glad that I have all the successes of the rest of you to look up to.

That must have been great, Nancy, a whole AF wedding! The whole things sounds just lovely! And I'll bet you were just the best Mother of the Groom, too!

Anyway, I have to get on the phone with my lawyer. I haven't seen a trace of those papers that my ex is supposed to get in the mail (and I'm supposed to get a copy too). It's a little worrisome. I just want to get this taken care of and done, not hurry up and wait! Anyway, I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that this goes off without too much drama!:crossed: Ugh, just tried to call her, she's not in yet. Poo....

Anyway, otherwise, my mom goes in today to get the results of her MRI and treatment recommendations for her back. We're hoping that any recommendations don't entail anything too serious, like surgery, since she's 80. I'm glad that my sister is up there--in fact, my mom is going to the practice that my sister worked for, so she'll definitely get the red carpet treatment.

Otherwise, nothing new here. Just gearing up for ABS again. I think I'm going to feel so much better about myself and really feel much more a member of the community again once I'm abs.

Sorry to be so self absorbed this morning!

I'm still thinking about Liz and wondering how she is doing. I hope she is getting good treatment!

Love to all today!

Kathy:l

Okay, as is usual, several peeps posted while I was writing my book!

Macks! I'm going to say lots of prayers for you to get that job! You deserve it, and I think you'd be great at it!!

mily: Georgia;">Good for you Kate, for taking a little time for yourself and MWO this morning! It is always good to check in during the day and take some time for YOU!

Welcome aboard, JENN!!! Go girl! I know you're nervous! So am I, and I've done this before! But you will be okay, and you'll have all the love and support you need here.

And Barb, too! We'll all be partners in crime, we three! How's that sound? Barb, tomorrow is my daughter's bitthday, too, so I'm hoping it will give me just a little extra inspiration! I'm also hoping to drop some weight too. Even though I haven't gained any more but the three pounds from my weekend ingulgence last weekend, even just drinking 2-3 day for the last week has left me feeling bloated and yucky! Bleech!

Love to all yet again!
            AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Monday October 2nd

Morning everyone,

Thanks, Macks, for getting the thread started this morning. I thought you were "off duty" today. Or did Gabby say something about going back to work? I can't keep up with you guys! Well anyway, if needed, I'll be happy to volunteer for a stint as mayor as long as I'm not travelling or crazy with work. Just let me know. Oh, and Macks, good luck with the job~

Kate I know how easy it can be to get up and just dash off into the day. But for the last month I've made a point of getting up early enough so I can spend the first hour of my day sipping coffee and reading posts, and posting at least one here in Abbsville. The way I see it is that my recovery is the most important thing to me right now, and if I forget that, then the rest of my life suffers, so I tend to that first. And it gets me in a good mindset for the rest of the day. Often times I will check back in later in the day to see what's been going on, because we have developed quite a close-knit community here. For me it is both support and accountability, in a way. And it's been working. Anyway, that is just how I use the board - and I hope you find it as helpful as I have. There has been more than one occasion that something I read on here has been the thing that kept me from going out and buying a bottle! And countless occasions that something I read here made me feel better.... :happyheart:

Oh, and Jen. I can feel your anxiety about going abs. I'm curious -- if you don't mind my asking, do you know what makes you nervous about it? Is it that you feel like you are letting go of an old friend, at least for a month? Or fear that you might not succeed? Or something else? Change is always scary. I've felt scared to make a commitment like this too. And yes, it is "one day at a time," sometimes one hour at a time, as anyone who has dealt with strong cravings can attest to. But there is nothing wrong with setting a goal of one month. It gives you something to work toward. And when you make that, you can decide if you want to go for another or not. Gabby started out wanting to do 30 days, and now she's at over 100. The flip side of that is like what I did last month. I was going to be abs for September. Well, I made it 7 days, and then drank. I felt like a failure, but I got right back up on the wagon. I fell a couple more times. But by the end of the month I had only drank on 5 occasions in September compared to my usual 15 to 20. That is progress! Now for October I feel that I am ready for true abs. Also - I just went up to 200 mg topa a little over a week ago (from 150) and it seems to have really flipped a switch in my brain. DRASTIC reduction in cravings here, with no additional side effects. All of that is to say, GOOD LUCK and YOU CAN DO THIS. :welcome:

Hi Barb -- congrats on Day 1!! It may not feel too good just yet, but it will soon.

And Kathy, it's been great to have seen your posts continue throughout your "vacation" from Abbsville. Good luck with tomorrow, and what can I say that you don't already know? Welcome back to freedom? :l
              "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Comment

Monday October 2nd

Mayor

I meant to mention that too. I'd be happy to take a week or two as mayor if the the need be. Not that you guys aren't doing an excellent job.

Comment

Monday October 2nd

Hmmmm....I've heard about this but it hadn't happened to me- posted this morning and now it is Gone.

Jen - very happy you are here. As someone wrote here not too long ago..abstinence is the goal - but we haven't quite reached that destination yet.
                  Mike had some good questions to ponder. I started posting here without a big committment to being completely abs. But after a few days of being AF I decided that was really the way to go for me. In a lot of ways it is easier than mods. No fear that if you allow 2 that you will then have 5. I had a slip 2 weeks ago but came back here and got encouragement and support and started back.

Well, tomorrow must just be a good day for a birthday. My nephew Jack will be 6 tomorrow. He wanted an alarm clock for his birthday cause he didn't want his mom to have to wake him up in the morning. So his aunt Lisa got him one. He is such a cutie pie but wants to be so grown up. I want him to stay 5!

Macks - good luck to you on the job. let us know when you hear - sounds just great.
                  Barb- Happy day one to you too. Are you able to work out yet? How is your foot doing?

Kathy - happy day one eve! Sounds like you are ready to start back.
                  Back to work for me.
                  Have a wonderful day everyone.
                  I too am thinking of Liz - hope she is doing ok.

:h
                  Lisa

Comment

Monday October 2nd

Hello All Abstainers,
                    I can't believe it's already October. I, too , am re-starting abs as did have some wine over the weekend. Not too bad but I know I must learn to flex those abs(abstinence) muscles once again. I have to get rid of the "will I or won't I" frame of mind and replace it with "I can do almost anything but I just can't drink"
                    I saw an interview this morning with Robin Williams who apparently just finished another re-hab treatment. He had been sober,apparently, for 20 years then started drinking again 2 years ago and then just went down hill. it was a great interview as he seems to have acquired such an inner calm. He kept saying what we already know deep down. Alcoholics can't drink .
                    I'll come back later but want to read through all posts. I have to start from where I left off (The last post I read was on Thurs. so I have to go back to then to catch up.)
                    Will check in later. So glad to be back.
                    Janet

Comment

Monday October 2nd

Hi everyone
                      Thanks for your welcomes and support! (Hugs!)
                      Mike- to answer your questions - EVERYTHING makes me nervous about ABS - the life change, the change in relationships that will inevitably happen as a result, etc. Also, I fear facing my "real" feelings, and dealing with my anxieties, fears, etc. that I have numbed with alcohol for years. I admit I feel I am letting go of an old friend (though let's be real - what kind of friend makes you sick, makes you do stupid things, gets you in trouble over and over?). And I DEFINITELY fear I wont succeed. 'Cause what then???

But I have to do it and I know this. All I can really do is commit to "one day at a time," and ask for strength from outside of myself and push ahead. Wow, there it is.

Sooo, I am going up to 175 mg of topa today. I have been at 150 mg comfortably now for about 2 weeks and can NOW REALLY feel the effects of the topa kicking in. I actually feel really calm and I can say I dont feel any cravings whatsoever today. I think I know what you mean about the "flipping the switch in your brain" thing (knock on wood) - I hope I am not being premature in my optimism here. I will continue with it and see how it goes. Thanks for your warm welcome everyone!
                      I love you all.
                      Love and hugs
                      Jen

Comment

Monday October 2nd

Just a short note here:

My efforts at exericising vigorously, along with quitting smoking, and of course the booze are paying off.

I went to the doctor this morning to get an inner ear infection treated.

Nurse took my blood pressure and pulse while I was standing.

It was 70 beats per minute, and get this.... BP was 110/60 !!!!!!

That is the lowest it has been in over 20 years!!!! A year ago it would have been 100 beats per minute, and BP would have been 150/100 or something. The pay off is REAL!!

My liver is healed up pretty good now, and my lung function is 100% better than it was even a year ago.

So they gave me a shot of prednisone in the butt (those hurt like h. e. double hockey sticks!), and a couple of pill scrips, and sent me on my way. Already I'm feeling a lot better.

Maybe I just might make it to 70 years old after all!!

Be well.

Neil

Comment

Monday October 2nd

Neil, I know the shot hurt, but it should start working quickly. Good for you on everything else.

Lisa, thanks for asking about my foot. I have been walking a little and today (after reading your post) did a new aerobic tape that I have. My foot still hurts - guess it's something I am going to have to live with.

Jenneh, I felt that way when I quit for the first six week period. Am I going to be loney? Will my husband still like me? Will my drinking buddies think I'm weird?? What happen was - yes, I was lonely but picked up some hobbies that I've been meaning to try. My husband was bragging to everyone about me, and a couple of my drinking buddies followed me for a while in getting sober for a bit to lose some weight. I'm starting again today and will be fine until Friday. I wish I didn't have any scotch in the house, tho.

Barb

Comment

Monday October 2nd

Neil - HUGS!!! Thats fantastic news - I just read your post and it inspired me even more.
                            Barb - thank you - I know inside I dont REALLY have to be afraid ...things will work themselves out. I do believe that - I just have to be strong.
                            It's funny, when I said I would ask for strength outside of myself, I then happened to look back here a couple of minutes later and saw your posts and they gave me another push. Life works in mysterious ways doesnt it. I am not a religious person, or I at least, I never was before. But I swear someone is looking over me (maybe its you guys?)
                            Sorry I am emotional today. I am just so glad - more than ever before - to be here.
                            Love Jen

Comment

Monday October 2nd

Now there was a time I'm glad I saved my post. It didnt go through. So here I go again.

Hey Guys,
                              Macks, thanks for startin again today. Big oops for me. I was here last night, readin and stuff. Thinkin about what I wanted to write. Then the kids kicked me off. And then my baby (13) wanted a back rub, so I did and I was the one who fell asleep.
                              Should'a been me getting the back rub.
                              Well anyway...then I got up at 5:30 ish and Mack already posted. I was gonna jump right in and my dad called. hee hee. Which is good cuz that's the only time we getta talk really. We say we are havin coffee together. So by the time I got back here after I got the little darlings off to school here we are....everybody's posted and I am a MIA Mayor. So see.....very big oops. And thanks Mack....ya saved me.
                              I sure hope you get that job ya want. If ya dont its cuz theres a better one waitin for ya next week or somethin.

Kate, ya...try to check in even if ya just say hi, bye, kate. So is sit about your 4th day now? Hard to keep track. Wish we had a tracker for us all if we wanted to use it. Anyway how was your weekend Kate?

Jenn, great to see ya here! We are really kinda silly here. Ya getta pick your own house. It can look how ever ya like. I dont know why.....but Mack always wants everyone to live by him. Dont know how EVERYONE can live by him. Then he goes around tellin people I bite. Whats up with that Mack?

ugghh..excuse me Jenn....Mack...we are supposed to be getting along better here especially for the newcomers. Could you not be bringing up these old incidents or I will have to bring up the time you got all ornery and took some of Kathys flags and super glued em to Neils bicycle tires before his race and Mike got the blame for it. Knock it off okay?

So Jenn..You'll like it here. We all just talk and try to support each other. Glad you wanna hang around for a while. And oh....uppin your topa?....add in more water too. I always found when I upped topa I always noticed more thirst. So drink up. Water that is. hee hee hee

Oh Nancy Nancy, we sure have missed ya around here. I mean I know you have been here, but its been less. That part on the dad with tears choked me up too. That is so sweet. The whole thing sounds just precious. Sounds like a beautiful weekend. Weddings always get me really bad. Even if its on TV. lol Well parades too. Make me cry. funny huh?

Hey Barb, Well, Happy day one for ya! Saturdays and Sundays huh? At least ya got 5 days till then. Gives us time to come up with a plan. And maybe today can be easier cuz you said you didn't feel good? I know my first day I was hung over. So it was a given for me I didn't drink. Keep coming here and checkin in and go from there. Before ya know it will be time for work.
                              Hope your job isnt hard but since it is at night....I bet it is. eek. good luck Barb.
                              Kath, I dont think your self absorbed at all. I like hearing whats goin on. Hope your Mom's treatment isn't demanding and is effective. And I know you will be back on the track you want to be on. No worries.

Mike, Thanks for the PM. Glad your thinkin of me. : ) Your right Mack was off duty. And ya!!!! When do ya want your shift????? Here's my schedule. I work till 10:00 in the evenings on the weekends now. And by mid Oct I will be every night. So now I wanna keep goin like for Tues, Wednesday and Thursday and Fridays posts till mid Oct. Then I cant do it that much. But I will miss it. I wonder if we can have 2 day shifts? That I could keep up with. If we have enough volunteers. That's only 3 or 4. Me, Kathy, You, 2 nights each and Mack or New Volunteer every Sunday?
                              That way Barb and anyone else that wants to do it too can as well. Thanks Barb for the offer. I think its good. But just a guess....I dunno. You guys say too.

Lisa, I think your doin really good. Your here every day and always have so much to add. And I hate it when that happens. Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!! Hope your work Monday starts out well.

Same with me worring about Liz.

And Lou Lou as well. How are you doin? You have been a little bit quiet lately.

Janet, dont we all know that as the truth. Alcoholics just cant drink. Even after 20 years. I guess nice to be reminded of that. Well ok....So back to day one for you if that's what you want. Some people want to count it that way, some want to do a 20/2 sorta count. Which ever works for you. I guess for now I'll say Happy Day one till you say different. Glad your here just the same.

Sophia....hows it going with your son? A few days have passed since we have heard from you. I do wish he would come on MWO. Wouldn't it be a miracle if he was here and we were talking to him and we didn't know? there goes my wishful thinkin again. But ya never know I guess.

CV....did your boyfriend sweep you off your feet and steal you away from us?????? Alright, out with it!

Neil, Great news at the Doc's. So happy for ya. I'm impressed!

Well....everyone yet to post...I will be back but I really gotta try to get a bunch of stuff done.
                              So Hi in advance.....and love to you all. smiles, hugs and kisses....gabbs
                              Gabby :flower:

Comment

Working...
                              X