In a dark hole and need some light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey everyone, I have posted in the past and lurked for a long time, but I am back. I feel like I am in the darkest place of my life and the only time I don’t feel that way is when I am drunk. So begins the endless, ugly spiral that is my life right now. I left my husband earlier this year and we tried to reconcile, but it still didn’t work. When I have him, I don’t want him. When I don’t have him, I want him back. Especially since he is now dating someone. It’s killing me, but I was the one who ended the relationship so now I have that to deal with it.

My teenage daughter is giving me so much trouble right now, I don’t know what to do with her. You should see the way she looks at me. It’s a combination of disgust and hate. I grounded her over the Christmas vacation for stealing my credit card and you’d think I had cut off her right arm. She’s also skipped school, snuck out at night, treats her Dad and I horribly, and the list goes on. She might even be smoking pot. We started counseling yesterday, hopefully that will help. At the end of the session the therapist asked my soon to be ex and I if we had any addiction issues. I fessed up even though I didn’t want to. She said “I know, your daughter told me”. Great, so are all my daughter’s issues due to my drinking? I would like to know. She sure would like to blame me for everything. She won’t take responsibility for a damn thing.

I have lots of friends and family who care, but no one knows the level I drink. I can’t afford the one–on-one treatment options here and the therapist recommended I attend AA-everyday to start!! I don’t think so! So I got my Naltrexone and started 3 days ago. Last night I stopped at a point where I usually would not have. I was drunk, but I could have gotten a lot worse. I just didn’t have any desire to put that bottle to my lips. I hope this is working. My drinking is causing major weight gain and depression and both my kids see it in me. I hate myself so much right now.

I certainly don’t want any sympathy, but any advice or thoughts are appreciated. Thank you all for coming here and supporting each other. It’s a great place for us to be!!!

Hi Getting -

As much as it may hurt when others find our behavior disgusting, it is when WE feel it's disgusting that something will change!

I'm sure many will come up with great advice. I guess all I can say is that if you give yourself a Chance by stopping drinking (don't worry about Forever - just think of the Moment or one day at a time), I know you will start feeling better.

I say this not only because of my own experience, but you will see that everyone will agree. Continuing to drink will just send you into darker depression...

And, on a lighter note, the best revenge concerning your husband is for you to get better, feel better and start looking better! All that will happen. When he sees you walking around with a BIG smile on your face... he'll be dazed & amazed!! lol.

Find a non-alcoholic drink you like (I like either Tropicana or Minute Maid Light Lemonade) and keep a full glass. I find I like the "act" of drinking! Water is probably best, but anything non-alcoholic is fine, I think. Plus, it helps keep food out of your mouth... a bit.

Good luck to you. It's hard to break the cycle - but you can do it! I can't wait until you post saying you're doing better.
    Sometimes you have to take the leap and build your wings on the way down... Anais Nin

Comment

Hiya GT -

Your drinking certainly won't be helping your daughters attitude but only gives her more ammunition to fire at you.

I was a nasty piece of work as a teenager, and delighted in making my parents feel worthless - something I am disgusted in now as an adult, but I did grow out of it.

As Savon said - get some AF days behind you, after a month things become very clear to you and it only gets better from there.

Take care of yourself first and everything will come into line.

Please let us know how you are getting on
      It's time I put my big girl pants on. :grannypants: I hope they fit.

Comment

Hi Getting there. I can relate to that deep dark hole. When I was living in that self constructed hell hole just a couple short years ago I didn't even see a reason to live. I am so blessed today to be living a full and good life without alcohol. Alcohol was slowly killing me.

Each of us have to find our own way out. The important think is that we find a way to get alcohol out of our lives and learn better methods of coping with life's problems rather than getting drunk over them. (and everyone's life has problems - that's NORMAL!) It sounds like you are seeing some positive things with Naltrexone and that is great.

I encourage you not to rule anything out. Getting sober is one of the most difficult, and yet rewarding things I have ever done. And it will take effort on my part, one day at a time, for the rest of my life. But I'm worth that effort. And so are you. Be willing to try anything and do whatever it takes to get and stay sober. The rest of the stuff will be much easier to sort out that way.

Strength and hope,

DG
        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
        Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Working...
        X