Tuesday October 3rd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tuesday October 3rd

Ok...my topic for today had to be a good one. I thought with Jenn joining us this month, Bren is back, Barb, Janet and Kate startin at day one. Mack is hoping for a new job. I'm revin up for my holiday marathon. Kathy is getting re-focused. Mike is startin up with new hypno and more and more is startin.
    It feels like a new energy is coming into Absville.

We cannot base our expectations about how we feel tomorrow or even a few hours from
    now, on how we feel at this moment.

There are no two moments in time alike. We are recovering. We are changing. Our life is changing. At times, things haven't worked out the way we wanted. We had lessons to learn

The future shall not be like the past.
    The truly difficult times are almost over. The confusion, the most challenging learning experiences, the difficult feelings are about to pass. Do not limit the future by the past!

Reflect on the beginning of your recovery. Haven't there been many changes that brought you to where you are now? Reflect on one year ago. Haven't you and your circumstances changed since then?

Sometimes, problems and feelings linger for a while. These times are temporary.
    Times of confusion, uncertainty, times of living with a particular unsolved problem do not last forever.
    We make these times doubly hard by comparing them to our past. Each situation and circumstance has had its particular influence in shaping who we are. We do not have to scare ourselves by comparing our present and future to a painful past, especially our past before we began recovering or before we learned through a particular experience.

Know that the discomfort will not be permanent. Don't try to figure out how you should feel or when you shall feel differently. Instead, trust.
    Accept today, but do not be limited by it.

A new energy is coming. A new feeling is on the way. We cannot predict how it will be looking at how it was or how it is, because it shall be entirely different. We have not worked and struggled in vain. It has been for and toward something.

Times are changing for the better. Continue on the part of trust and obedience. Be open to the new.

Today God, help me not judge or limit my future by my past. Help me be open to all the exciting possibilities for change, both within and round me. ~ a daily meditation.

I thought this was a good one and wanted to share it. Love you guys and have a good Tuesday. I'll see ya later.
    Gabby :flower:

Tuesday October 3rd

Bump!!!! Obviously, I'm up way too late!! XOXOX!
    AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Tuesday October 3rd

Hi All --

What great stuff Gabby. I have to come back later when I have more time to digest it all. Today is yet another hellish day for me and I am just checking in before I head out into the maddness! Like Kathy, I have not had a perfect record since my return, but I am here and not drinking a bottle or two a night. More like one or two but not evey night either. I will be AF soon and I have to just pick a date and do it (like Kathy has - you go girl!!) I just haven't even had a moment to sneeze. Check back later. Have a super day everyone!

Comment

Tuesday October 3rd

Good Morning-

Up late and up early! Thank you Gabby - provoking thoughts to start out the morning. I think it is so true too - we have to shake some of the perceptions of ourselves to ourselves. I need to stop thinking of myself in terms of what I have been doing the last several years. I don't want to be the person who buys wine by the case at the liquor store. I don't want to spend my mornings with a foggy head and stress from worrying about the night before. I don't want to be that person anymore.
        I want to be the person who does interesting things and has interests outside of drinking and tv. And the good news is that I feel like I'm getting there. I've been working on this for about 3 months and I can see progress. Progress is good!!
        Today is trash day and as I was putting it out I found a wine bottle at the back of the closet - behind the mop bucket. Not sure how long that had been there but the good news is that it wasn't from last night.- Progress!

Welcome :welcome: to everyone starting and restarting Abs. So nice to have such good company on this long trip we are on.

Happy Birthday to several people today - can't remember all - Kathy? your daughter's birthday right?

And Happy Birthday to my nephew Jack - it's great to be 6
        Have a great day everyone!
        Lisa

Comment

Tuesday October 3rd

Another Quickie!

Ahhhh, in the classic style of a true alkie, after my friend's phone call last night (tell about it in a minute) I got ANOTHER TWO MINI'S OF WINE and drank them. So much for early to bed and early to rise.

The bad news is that I now have a bit of a hangover to start my first day of abs. That is also the good news. It will remind me why I am doing this, after all!!

The other piece of good news is that the call was from an old good friend from NEW ORLEANS, who happens to be up in DC this week, and I just happen to be going there today, so we're having lunch. I don't think that he drinks, but I plan on "being on antibiotics for a sinus infection" just in case". I will probably also just spill the beans about MWO too. What the heck!

But now I have to go get ready. I have to leave in 45 minutes!

HAPPY 17th BIRTHDAY TO MADDY!

Thanks for remembering, Lisa, and Happy Birthday to Jack, too!

I'll be giving due consideration to your topic of the day, Honorable Gabbington! And welcome aboard to everyone starting here!

Hugs,

Kathy:l
          AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Tuesday October 3rd

thanks gabbs that was great!

Comment

Tuesday October 3rd

Hiya Abbsville,
              WOW Gabby, what a cracking opener for the day...I'm not the same man as i was last year....but i'm not who i want to be yet either...Your right..We are a work in progress at the moment....Its hard to see a big improvment in terms of weeks or even months, but when you look at the big picture...Thats when you can see the difference......I think i mentioned this a while ago but can you imagine yourself this time next year???
              Its been hectic as usual in our house...My eldest was running down the stairs last night and decided to jump the last few and landed funny....Shes broke a bone in her foot...so we were at the hospital for most of last night and all this morning...Shes ok and not in too much pain..but on crutches...I think shes getting a plastercast on it tomorrow.
              There always seems to be something going on in our house (good or bad)....Would be nice to just have a rest for a little while....Looking forward to some normality....saying that madness is becoming the norm.

If this had happened a few months ago we would have had to ask somebody else to take us....or even phone an ambulance..The fact that i could take her and was sober at 10pm shows that changes are happening all the time...
              Must be getting closer to that man i want to be..

Be back on later......Love Macks:l
              I don't care who you are...Your not walking on water while i'm fishing..
              One drink is too many... A thousand is never enough...Sober since July 2nd 2009

Comment

Tuesday October 3rd

Gabby

Gabby
                You have no idea how much relevance that has in my life right now. Are you an angel?
                I dont even know what else to say. I had to go to the washroom at my work to have a moment.
                Thank you.
                Love you
                Jen
                Over 4 months AF :h

Comment

Tuesday October 3rd

Wow, Gabby - you must have had a great nite's sleep - great imput. I'll get back later on it. Since I feel like I am just beginning my journey, it's hard for me to answer. Actually, a year ago I wasn't in a much different place than I was last week. I think the difference is that I have been successful for six weeks and I know what success is and what it feels like. And, I've learned from the mistakes I made in the six weeks, so I'm hopeful that this next stint (going to try until Thanksgiving) will take those lessons into account.

Kathy, I feel your pain. I was you yesterday. Why is the the day before we quit we feel the need to drink as much as we can?? Maybe we're trying to drain the world's alcohol supply!!

I tried the hypno sleep learning last night and it annoyed the hell out of me because of the ear plug. It kept me awake, so I did sleep as well as I would have liked. I'd really like to give it a shot to try and speed things up. Anyone else have any experience with this.

Happy birthday Jack and Maddy. I forgot to remind my son that it's his sister's birthday.

Have a great day all - I really have to get some work done today!!

Barb

Comment

Tuesday October 3rd

mack sorry to hear about broken foot. crutches huh? well that should get her some symathy for a while. a cast where is my pen? i wanna sign. you should be so proud that you have changed so much,you inspire me ...truely you do.

Comment

Tuesday October 3rd

Thanks Gabby......life is a process and we are all still in the process as long as we're breathing!

I understand now why cv felt like she should do a cleanse after her son's wedding! I do feel much better today . As the Marines do, I've been drinking lots of water. It's their answer to anything that ails you!

Ah Kathy........empty wine bottles.... we have cases here because we reuse them for making our wine. Staying away from this wine has been I think the biggest challenge of my life. Maybe it just seems like that because it is what I'm going through now. My son's time in Iraq WAS the biggest and I learned so much about myself and my God in that time. I'm ready to move forward and be able to look back and say "I learned from that also"..
                      I've tried to figure out why we struggle with some really hard things in our lives. I think "in the big picture" of life, it's so that we can grow past things and turn around and understand others who struggle and be able to say to them "I know what you're going through".
                      It's the only way to feel someone else's pain.
                      I know now when someone starts making remarks about being "above" someone .....I have to say..."Yes...but there by the grace of God go I"..
                      I guess "my lesson" I'm learning is to be humble and not have a judgemental spirit.

There was a thing that came out a few years ago...it was the question "What would Jesus do". I now try to look and see 'What did Jesus do". And act accordingly.

Good day Mates! Must get some things done and head of to another exciting Rebels football game!

Nancy & Belle:l
                      "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

Tuesday October 3rd

Well, that was just a daily meditation out of a recovering book.
                        It was named "New Enegry Coming."

Thats what I have done sometimes is depending on what we talked about during the days thread and then picked a meditation to be the next days topic.

The best ones were the times I used a combination of a few of them.
                        Sometimes it would make you guys make the best points from them.
                        And then give me anther topic to pick for the next day. You guys didnt think I was comin up with all this stuff on my did ya?

Congrats Neil....you won the google search. You silly nut. Here ya cheat and then confess. Of course....totally sounds like somethin I would do. But then again I might think of the cheat and then announce that ya could cheat in advance....even before I actually did the cheat.

See I'm the type of criminal that I would turn myself in before I even committed the crime. Ya that honest!
                        Jenn....would I even make you any money at all? You would go.....geeze gabberetta (had to think of a more criminal name) could you lie for at least a little bit.....so I could have some time to defend ya?
                        And there I would be with my wrists out ready for cuffs. Neil.....you'd be right on my heals. Well....good for us I guess.

Well to long now.....Everybody...........please check in.........I know your out there.

Kath, Happy Birthday to Maddy and have fun on the lunch date is it? oohhh my...cant wait to hear you lucky dog.

Hi Janet, glad you checked in. Come back later if ya can. Busy is hard...I know.
                        But we need to know the teens havent done somethin with ya.

Lisa, you are makin progress....I can see it and feel it in your posts. Feel proud!

Barb, you too. I have to say again. I am so glad you came back.

Nanc....how ya doin? Still tired I bet.

Lou....still havent heard from you!

Nomore...good girl! I know how it is to be in a rush. Just make sure ya swoop in for a quick read and check in. We like to see that. Maybe ya can come back and post later.

Hey Mojo...what is your day bringing you?

Mack...poor little darlin. At least she has you and Lisa to be home and baby her. And I know what cha mean about being sober or not!
                        oops

Sophia, where are you?

And Cv, bout ready to call the cops!

Now the phone....lost my train of thought on the peeps....Someone help me.
                        Talk to ya later.
                        Gabby :flower:

Comment

Tuesday October 3rd

Wow. Very Deep Thoughts. (I said that in a Very Deep Voice.)

Seriously, though, I like daily meditations like this.

I especially liked the part about not judging or limiting our future based on our past. So many times, I know I do this. I have grown so accustomed to the alcoholic rut I've been in for over a decade that it's hard for me to see past it sometimes. So here is the future in my alcoholic vision: mornings are dreadful. I feel like crap at least until noon, if not longer. Some mornings I wake up wondering what I did or said the night before. Sometimes I call in late or sick to work because I over-indulged. Later in the afternoon, when I'm feeling better, or perhaps the next day, I start to think how nice a drink would be. And I buy a bottle and I'm off again.... My life is filled with regrets. I'm often scared and lonely. I fail at relationships either because I don't try, or because my drinking gets in the way. I don't trust myself and don't bother setting goals because I know I won't follow through. [That's a downer, huh? That's the reality of alcoholism, at least for me.]

I'm still new at this recovery thing, but I've gotten a glimpse at a different future. And it reminds me of the kind of future I used to see back when I was a teenager, before I started drinking. It goes more like this: each morning holds promise. Each day is an opportunity to learn and grow. I am a part of God's wondrous creation, and although I don't know what it is, I have some purpose in life. Each day I feel myself growing stronger and more confident. I know that I am loved. There are people in my life that I love and would do anything for. I am open to new relationships. I set goals, and believe that I can achieve them. When I stumble, I forgive myself and learn from my mistakes.

I think we were all born with an innate optimism and love of life. I think that is part of our makeup as human beings. Sometimes, events happen that send us off track.... and alcohol definitely poisons our minds and twists us up so that we lose that love of life. Part of recovery is becoming like children again -- coming back to that optimism and love of life that we were born with and helps us survive. I, for one, never want to go back to the dark places that alcohol took me to. I'm happier out here in the sunshine.

Mike
                          "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Comment

Tuesday October 3rd

Mike/Gabbs - it's not cheating to look up the answer. It's using the resources that you have available to help that counts. Why, that would be like trying to quit drinking without CDs, supps, topa whatever:H .

Mike I really like what you said about our innate optimism and love of life. Even at my lowest moment with alcohol and weight (an issue that will always plague me) there is a little voice that whispers "don't give up - just try again".

I really wanted a drink last night and rationalized on my way home from my second job that I deserved it. I would just start on Tuesday - no biggie. Then I asked myself why I wanted it. What would I get from it (relaxation). Well, I thought, I could get that from the Calm Forte. What would I get if I didn't? A good nite sleep (I would have if it wasn't for that darn sleep learning tape), wake up feeling proud and ready to make more progress, on my way to getting skinnier. I know that the tough part is getting started. So I want to get that part over with, and you can't do that until you say "this is day one - no ands, ifs or buts".

I always start everything on the same day (diet, excercise, no booze). Yesterday, I let myself eat whatever I wanted and did a whimpy little exercise tape. Today I revved up the exercise a bit (longer yet whimpy - first time since I've been off my foot) and I am automatically thinking what can I have healthy to eat, not what do I want.

A year ago, I would have drank last night, justifying that, hey, I blew it anyway with food - why not drink too? Now I know that it is one step at a time!

I REALLY have to get back to work - I hate it when my job gets in the way of something important.

Comment

Tuesday October 3rd

As usual you folks have given me so much to think about!!! I will go about my day physically doing my duties but mentally I'll be here pondering what you have all written. Will respond later.
                              Happy Birthday to all those birthday boys and girls!!!!!!
                              Mack, my best friend's daughter broke her foot last week. The mother needed to call a neighbor as she had had a few(probably more) glasses of wine and couldn't take her to the hospital.I guess one of the benefits of remaining sober is that we can handle emergencies better.
                              Will write more later but wanted to know I'm here among you.
                              Janet
                              P.S Gabby, I thought I was the only lunatic who not only talked to my animals but answered back for them as well. Each animal has it's own voice and accent. Dogs generally have lower toned voices than the cats. I'm like a walking talking Sybil (remember the movie starring Sally Field about a woman with multiple personalities).
                              No wonder my kids torture me!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X