Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The lies we tell...

I am really confused. Really glad i found this website

But I had a question before I start in on the whole sick story. My husband has been drinking heavily for at least 2 years, probably more like almost 3. His drink of choice is vodka, big surprise right? Well the last year or so he has been hiding it, but 6 nights ago it came to a head with him calling his sisters cell phone while drunk, I had been sent to the "store" for some nose spray. Well i get back to my husband, his two sisters and one the sisters husband all talking about his "drinking" and begging him to stop. Well of course he says ok I will stop. That was 6 days ago.

Now to my problem of the moment. My husband had been drinking a bottle of burnetts 1.75 liters every other day he'd buy a new one. So quite a bit right? Well the first two days of "no drinking" he was MEAN, saying he was irritable, leave him alone and saying nasty mean comments quite a bit. The third day this changed and he was "fine", he hasn't been able to sleep but otherwise acting ok, saying he felt fine, no big deal. I just can't believe that. Everything i've ever known tells me he's lying again, just drinking less. But he swears to me and his family that he isn't; SO i guess my question is, after drinking that much for so long is it really possible to quit cold turkey and have no real withdrawl symptoms?

The lies we tell...

Amiya - he may very well be lying. Sometimes when one is unable to be honest with themselves, they are unable to be honest with others.

He can't do this for your or other loved ones. He must come to his own rescue when he is ready to do so.

Look into Al-Anon, read about co-dependency, learn about detaching.
    Avoid allowing his addiction to be your addiction.
    * * I love Determinator * *

Comment

The lies we tell...

Hiya Amiya - everybodies withdrawal symptoms are very different so I couldn't tell you if he was telling fibbers or not.

Just wanted to say he can not do this unless he really wants to for himself. Quitting before you're ready to just allows you to find even sneakier places to stash your grog and more inventive ways of getting a fix.

If he really wants to give up get him to join in here - its a great place to be, I couldn't have become AF without MWO.

Welcome anyway
      It's time I put my big girl pants on. :grannypants: I hope they fit.

Comment

The lies we tell...

Yes. Not everyone has withdrawals. Trust in him unless you KNOW differently.

Comment

The lies we tell...

Hi there,
          what you know he was drinking at home is maybe not the total - and if he was hiding it was likely much more. True, not everyone has WD but I can tell you about my dad. He was hiding bottles of vodka behind the stereo, and getting up in the middle of the night when my mom was asleep to drink. She found him on the bathroom floor in the morning, called an ambulance, and off he went. During the first few days he said he was going to beat her to a pulp for taking him to the doctor, because he wanted his vodka so much. Then he had DT's, hallucinations, seizures, the bit even under hospital care.
          Sounds to me like you both could use some outside help. Does his doctor know about his drinking? Does yours? You need to take care of yourself too.
          Best to you, this is hard.
          Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts.
          AF since May 6, 2010

Comment

Working...
          X