X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wednesday Oct 4th

Hummmm! (this is so long)
    Mack, I'm not sure what to say.
    I agree with Brigid. "It seems that when we decide to change there are these tricks or spies or sabateurs that come out to get us.. and they lurk until we feel weak and then they pounce."

You have been goin through a lot lately. Let down and disappointed about the taxi job. Fightin cravings. The stress of lookin futher for other job prospects. Financial concerns. Fightin cravings. Kid stuff, and your daughter hurting herself. Fightin cravins. One thing after anther and more cravings.

So finally you.....uugghh. And ya you do sound very sad. And for one of our mentors here....that does make the rest of us very sad to see. Wish we could do somethin Mack.

But the good news is......
    YOUR DONE NOW RIGHT? Guess ya had to get that outta the way and now you can move on....right?

My goodness, this has gotten a little contagious around here.

This is sposed to be Absville ya know. Speakin as mayor I think someone needs to get a little tough around here. I guess I'll pick me. This isnt easy for me to say....but I'm gonna anyway.

Mack you know if you try to go mods your gonna slowly drift back. And its going to completely effect what happens in yours, Mrs Macks and the little darlings lives. Its one thing to have a slip up. But goin to mods would be just given yourself a hall pass to go back there where ya were a year ago. What was that sayin I saw in Tennesee? Dont give the devil a ride.....he will get in the drivers seat before you know it.

Mack is that were you wanna take you family again? And like yesterdays post....where were you a year ago? Ok...ya screwed up yesterday....but what did ya learn? Is it that you can do that each weekend? I'm soundin mean, but I am still with Brigid. She puts it good when she says, "are your strategies water tight? Or do they need review? Or do you have a strategy?
    Maybe someone is gonna be mad at me. But why are we all here anyway?
    Ok......no more lectures, why did we let me get started anyway. Like for a second I thought Mack was my brother or somethin.

But really it for all of us.

Theres been a lot of slippin goin on around here. And some of us who havent slipped...its like we are thinkin about it or even plannin it.
    I think reviewing our strategies are something for all of us to think about. The holidays ae comin and its only gonna get tougher. What is our plan? Are we gonna be ready or are we gonna set ourselves up. And then whoops....in comes an unexpected slump. And the guys that have been lurkin around come in for the kill.

Well....heres my meditation on surviving slumps. Its kinda long. But I'm the one that hasta type it so oh well. I like this one.

Surviving Slumps

A slump can go on for days. We feel sluggish, unfocused, and sometimes overwhelmed with feelings we can't sort out. We may not understand what is going on with us. Even our attempts to practice recovery behaviors may not appear to work. We still don't feel emotionally, mentally, and spiritually as good as we would like.

In a slump, we may find ourselves reverting instinctively to old patterns of thinking, feeling and behaving, even when we know better. We may find ourselves obsessing even when we know that what we're doing is obsessing and that it doesn't work.

We may find ourselves looking frantically for other people to make us feel better, the whole time knowing our happiness and well-being does not lay with others.

We may begin taking things personally that are not our issues, and reacting in ways we've learned all too well do not work.

We're in a slump. It won't last forever. These periods are normal, even necessary. These are the days to get through. These are the days to focus on recovery behaviors, whether or not the rewards occur immediately. These are sometimes the days to let ourselves be and love ourselves as much as we can.

We don't have to be ashamed, no matter how long we've been recovering. We don't have to unreasonably expect "more" from ourselves. We don't ever have to expect ourselves to live life perfectly.

Get through the slump. It will end. Sometimes, a slump can go on for days and then, in the course of an hour, we see ourselves pullout of it and feel better. Sometimes it can last a little longer.

Practice one recovery behavior in one small area, and begin to climb up hill. Soon, the slump will disappear. We can never judge where we will be tomorrow by where we are today.

PS: and glad you and Mrs Macks made up.
    Gabby :flower:

Wednesday Oct 4th

Good morning everyone --

Thank you Gabby. You made a lot of good points and I know that I personally needed to hear them and to have someone hold me accountable. I came back here but did not get into full abs mode because I am so busy right now. Checking in here has helped keep me pretty good, but AF? No. Yesterday I was AF simply because I was too busy and then too tired. Hey - I guess where ever it starts, it starts. So today I plan to incorporate more components of the program and start making a plan for how to handle the next few weeks. And then the holidays - you are so right about them - that is a real easy time to let things get away and I want to be stronger by then so I can get through.

Thanks for the wake up call!:thanks:

Hope everyone has a great day.

Kate

Comment

Wednesday Oct 4th

running late for work - just wanted to say thanks Gabby - very well said-
      makes me remember why i come here

Everyone have a great AF day
      Lisa

Comment

Wednesday Oct 4th

Good Morning Absville,
        I'm using the word Good very loosley...Its out of my system for now....I never used to get hangovers but i suppose my bodys not used to it anymore...
        I dont want to go mods...i suppose last night i was trying to justify what i was doing...Going back to where i was last year is the scariest thing imagiable...I'm not going to let it happen....However i do think i need help....to avoid this situation again..
        When i found MWO i was already 7 weeks sober...I was looking for somewhere to share my feelings....Looking for somewhere i could talk to someone who new what i was going through and new how hard it was...i havnt been taking any topa or supps or anything like that....Just going cold turky....I thought i was doing ok....obviously not...i need more help...So thats my job for today...Cold turky is too hard...I need a crutch.
        I was a bit hesitant coming back here this morning...Kind of like returning to the scene of a crime....I've read a lot of kind messeges and kind/honest messeges....both have done me good and have been taken in.
        Last night might have been a good thing...might have shoved me up to that next level i needed to be at at.
        I am really appreciative of Absville and everyone in it....If i didnt have you...I'd be lost........Your friend Mack:l
        I don't care who you are...Your not walking on water while i'm fishing..
        One drink is too many... A thousand is never enough...Sober since July 2nd 2009

Comment

Wednesday Oct 4th

Gabby, I was in that slump for about three weeks (AF six, drinkin like a fish three) and everyday was the "one more day" thing. It cost me some weight and it cost me some lack of productive time. Monday I finally bit the bullet and said, this is it. I know the first week is going to be hard so I have to hurry up and get 7 AF days behind me, so there is no way I am going to have to start this all over again.

Mack, so sorry about today and know exactly how you feel. I am doing this w/o medication and right now believe I can. Don't make any rash decisions about life today - just take care of yourself and your family. Some introspection is fine - try and focus on the joys of your life rather than the slip-ups (easy for me to say, huh??).

Kathy, congrats on day 1. It gets better and you are right - it is tiring!!

Neil, lots of insightful posts around the boards yesterday from you. Have you ever thought of running for mayor?? Is you background at all in physical activity? You seem to have a passion for it. I do too; sometimes, I just try and hide it well.

Lisa, have a great AF day. Hope you are able to slow down a little.

Sophia, how is your son? I think of you often.

CV - where are you?? We miss you.

Busy day today - I'll try to check in later. Hi to everyone I have missed so far and those who are posting at the exact minute that I am.

Barb

Comment

Wednesday Oct 4th

HOPE

"Hope is like a road in the country;
            there was not a road, but when many people walk on it,
            the road comes into existence."
            Lin Yutang

We are on this road to recovery together. If we walk alone, it takes longer for the road to come into being.
            Thanks to all of you who are helping me make my road.
            Thanks Gabby for the firm words.

Nancy & Belle:l
            "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

Wednesday Oct 4th

Good morning abbsville
              Macks - I am sorry you dont feel so well today but on the bright side, perhaps this was another step towards your recovery in some 'divine' way. As you say, you feel that perhaps last night moved you to the next level you needed to be at. That perhaps cold turkey is not working enough for you - that you need to find your crutch. Life works in mysterious ways. So work on finding whatever it is you are meant to be looking for.
              As for me, I am on day 4. Not long, but I am working. Haven't had the cravings too bad yet but I have also come home each night and holed myself up on the couch with hubby and cat. Havent socialized. Its been fine with me. I am getting a little nervous about the weekend. I will have to come up with a plan. On friday night, we already committed to going for dinner at some friends' house which always has involved wine. They will be very surprised when i dont partake. Hubby has said he wont drink either though he says "he really would have liked a scotch and cigar". I hope he doesnt change his mind last minute or get talked out of that by his friend, because that will make it doubly hard on me not to drink...
              Gabbs thanks for your words again this morning
              Everyone else - good morning
              Love you all
              Jen
              Over 4 months AF :h

Comment

Wednesday Oct 4th

Good Morning Absville!

It is good to "see" everyone here so far this morning! I slept through the night, and it was so lovely! It was lovely.

Macks, I think that the very best thing that you could do was come on here and post EXACTLY what you were feeling! It's the only way that we could really respond to you. Gabby had some tough words, but clearly, you were getting there for yourself, too. I'm glad that you are deciding to get some extra help, whether it be supplements or meds, or whatever. You've been doing great for the most part, and I think that your attitude about your slip is great. It is a learning experience, and now you KNOW you need more than just going "cold turkey"! That's a good thing to learn. Well done, Mr. Macks!

Gabbington, you are AWFULLY impressive when you get firm!!! Just awesome, my dear! I certainly know that I am one of those who has been less than stellar in my track record around here, and I am sorry for that. Like I said, I'm glad that I've been able to hang around until I got my act together. It's still not really together, but at least I'm on day 2 now, and ready to really begin working on it. I'm just glad that I haven't alienated people.

Drumroll for Kate! Dum dum ta dum!!! (Gabby can maybe make some smilies for the occasion?? ) Maybe day 1 didn't happen how you planned it, but it's still a day 1, and it's as good a way to start as any.

Hi, Lisa! (As she scurries out the door!) Catch up with you later!

Incidently, I had a wonderful lunch with my friend from New Orleans yesterday. He had a "light" drink--Gramanier (sp?) and club soda and I had a diet coke. It would have been much harder if he had ordered wine, but I was pretty determined not to blow it on day 1!!!

Hi Barb! Thanks for your supportive words. I have a few extra pounds to lose too, thanks to my indulgences. Alcohol is a killer when you're trying to lose weight! I hope that we both get healthier and meet our weight loss goals by following this program!! I wish, Barb, that the first week wasn't so tiring. Most of what you do during week 1 is not drink. The better productivity and feelings of pride come later, at least for me.

Thanks for the wise words, Nancy. You always come up with something terrific, no matter what is going on!

Hang in there Jenneh. I'm glad that you can cuddle with your hubby at night. I hope he doesn't get talked into anything. I have a social engagement this weekend, too. Want to make a pact?? We can think of each other instead of relying on the peeps immediately around us. What do you think?

Anyway, more later on all of this. I have to get ready for work! Here's to day 2!

Happy day to all who haven't posted yet!

Hugs,

Kathy
                AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Wednesday Oct 4th

Tough Love

Mack -- or Macks -- do you have a preference, by the way? I'm very glad you're with us this morning, hung over or no, and it sounds like you may have learned what you needed to from the experience. I think you know we will be your "crutch" any time you need one.

As for Gabby's post this morning. I read it last night before I went to bed (one of the benefits of being in an earlier time zone is that I get a sneak peek at tomorrow's headlines in Abbsville if I choose!). I must say when I first read it, the "tough love" approach caught me off guard. When someone slips, we are used to saying to them, " Don't beat yourself up," and "Pick yourself up and dust yourself off," and "Look at all the progress you've made." These things are all true, and balm to a suffering alcoholic coming back with his tail tucked between his legs. (I'm speaking from experience here, as I've been the grateful recipient of such wonderfully supportive words from this group.) Without knowing I would get the encouragement, I might not have come back.

On the other hand, I see where Gabby is coming from. The fact that we are in Abbsville means we've all made a commitment to abstain for at least some period of time. If it were easy, we wouldn't need this program. God knows -- I tried and tried for years, and even after I found MWO I flipped and flopped for nearly a year before I made a real commitment to abs, which just prolonged my agony. I guess, though, that it takes what it takes for each person to reach what AA calls "that jumping off place" when you're ready to do what it takes. I think it takes a firm decision (down to the core of yourself), a commitment, and a plan. Even though I found MWO a long time back and made a couple of attempts with a little success here and there, I didn't have all three of those in place until recently. I still may have a slip or full-blown relapse in my future (I pray to God that I don't) but it's much less likely if I have those 3 things.

And I didn't think for a second that Gabby was singling Macks out as the subject of her tough love. It's something, I think, that we all needed to hear. Certainly I did. And actually, it's nothing new. Brigid has been saying the same thing all along, haven't you? You've been around long enough to see people come in and out -- including myself -- to recognize what happens to us when we take slips too lightly, and take our recovery for granted.

So I want to say a special THANKS to both Brigid and Gabby for having the courage to tell us the things we occasionally need to hear, rather than the things we necessarily want to hear.

Mike
                  "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Comment

Wednesday Oct 4th

Yup, Gabby I liked it. I know I personally need some tough love sometimes. So I am asking for it, if (and I am not saying I WILL need it - oh please please please dont need it!) I need it.
                    So there.
                    Kathy - yes, please. I would like to have this pact. We are now officially accountable to one another.
                    Hugs
                    Jen
                    Over 4 months AF :h

Comment

Wednesday Oct 4th

My day started with a fight with my 15 year old and the bleak outlook of a day with a boss on the warpath - there's some stuff coming up that he is going to blow an artery about - not with me but I'll take the fallout. And - his communication sucks. So I am expecting it (it's worse expecting it that experiencing it). I've spent the last half an hour in tears instead of exercising - now it's too late because we have a conference call in a bit.

Whether I drink or not, my kid is still going to be a pain and my boss is going to be an ass. I will just deal with it better without a pounding hangover.

I know what Gabby was saying about this being Absville and having those of you who have not slipped thinking about it because "everybody else is doing it". When I hurt my foot and couldn't do cardio, I was lamenting to someone about it, and she said, well, you could still go to the gym and do upper body - you don't have to quit. Now he doesn't go to the gym and is struggling with weight (with two perfectly good feet). When he said it, I thought - well he's not doing it, why should I??

I once heard a Weight Watchers leader talking to a member who said he was just not motivated. She said, "do it anyway; get motivated later". Good piece of advise. All the motivation, positive thoughts and good intentions are worthless without action.

We all know what it feels like when we get up and say "why did I do that last night" and struggle through the day. What we did last night does not matter; what we do next will determine our destiny.

Barb

Comment

Wednesday Oct 4th

tough love

Great posts today and yesterday. I had posted yesterday, but reconsidered some of my thoughts and how they could be taken and thought it best to just start over.

Tough Love starts with ourselves before we have the drink. For me there is absolutely no valid reason to drink--even if the end of the world is near. Sometimes I miss that feeling of what a couple will do for me. However, rarely is it a couple. And if tonight it is--then I think I can do it again--which usually ends up in disaster by the second event. This got me thinking about that old good feeling and that at times I really miss it. But the price to be paid for it is just too much. A price I am not willing to pay--so I will willingly give up that feeling in regards to the costs involved.

It is almost like going to the mall--seeing this beautiful sweater and I just have to have it. Then I look at the price tag--and its $495! A price I am not willing to pay for it--a moment of saddness and then I move on.

Best to everyone! I don't check in much--but all of you are always in my thoughts and prayers.

Kim

Comment

Wednesday Oct 4th

Good stuff guys!
                          Now here's my deal....initially I want to say....oh sorry guys, I hope I didn't make anyone feel bad. And be apologizing all over the place. But.....no apology.

And also....I think I left this part out....I was tellin myself as much as anyone. giggle giggle

I'm not sure if I told anyone...just didn't take time, not a secret but man, the other day I had the strangest craving. Had to be like a habit craving. Not one I would to have had to fight off but it was in the morning and I was thinkin about if I had enough beer for the evening and if I had the kids plans worked out so I would have my drinkin time.
                          It was the strangest thing. Like a deja vous thing. (help me french people) But I pretty much lived the whole thought out till the kids part. And then when I realized it - it was like a slap in the face. I had to ask myself who was it that was in my head just now? Weird huh?

Anyway its my opinion that none of us here should be mods. I think there is pretty much no such thing for us. If we did it would be like walkin close to the edge of a steep cliff. With loose dirt. Knowin anytime we are playin the game that we might take the wrong step and slip for good.

If that wasn't the case for us then we wouldn't be here in the first place. Our voice inside would have never sent us here. We would be one of those people that can just drink moderately to begin with that we are envious of.

So I believe we have to honor what we are called here for or find anther way to make it work for us.
                          But to decide well....I think I don't need to listen to my voice. The one that really knows from deep inside
                          . I think that is chance'in our life and anyone that is connected to our life. So if ya don't want the trade off ya gotta honor the voice.

So it sounds all really good here by--

Nomore/Kate-you have a plan, your planning on incorporating more parts of the program into your day as the next few weeks go by. Good! That will give you a stronger foundation for the holidays.

Lisa-you have been dilligently workin, plus your helpin others here a lot too.
                          Thanks and dont stop.

Macks-You have only had 2 slips since you started and that was before me....wasn't it. I'm at 120 days. So I would say you really have done damm good. Sorry I was mean. oops....I did it. Give me my sorry back. Now!

Barb-look at that....Day 7 and through a weekend. And on to mayor!!!!! Now that's progress.

Nancy-I know you have been busy. I have missed you around here so bad.
                          Hope you are rested up now. :l

Jenneh- Happy Day 4! Dah Dah Da Dah Da Da!!!! I know the weekends are hard. Especially the first one. You can do it!!!!! Thanks for the calendar too. : )
                          I love your pact you made with Kathy. That's a good strategy. That has helped me in the past in weight loss.

Kathy-Good day 1 for ya or day whatever/whatever.
                          nt-size: 13px;">I thought you counted the other way. Whichever...glad you back on track again.
                          (sheese...I dont sound like a nun or something do I?
                          If I do....maybe I should make a confession or two....maybe not)

Ok...moving on...Mike thanks for your support you cutie you. :l

Kim you are so right about the tough love startin before you have the first drink. That is huge right there. Good one!
                          And good to see you too.

Barb, I love that piece about the do it anyway get motivated later. Putin that in my brain. And ugghh....the teenagers. That's what Janet and I were sayin the other day.

By the way Janet....where are you? Have they done something with you? Are you okay? I think we need to think up a code word or somethin. So we know for sure each other is ok. They could have us locked in a closet of something.

Oh my...gotta go runnin out of time. Hi to all who I didnt say Hi to.
                          See ya later, Love Gabby

Comment

Wednesday Oct 4th

Hey All--
                            Thanks, Gabby! I think we all needed to hear what you had to say this morning...and, actually, I probably would have said some even sterner stuff...but then I WAS a rehab counselor for a number of years (before returning to corporate life and arrogantly thinking I could "handle it" ).

I haven't been posting so much lately and there are all sorts of reasons, most not having anything to do with the board but some DO have to do with recent events in Absville....

l'm not sure I should even say this but I do believe in being honest and if I'm drummed out of Absville, then so be it....

Okay, deep breath, here it goes: I have benefitted ENORMOUSLY from being here, I have given AND received support over and over... I have also come to care about what happens to everyone--although exactly what that means in this weird cyberspace world, I'm not sure, but that's another discussion....

The thing is, though, that I find I have become increasingly confused about what our Absville is about....(hat-tip to you, Gabby)...I am not so much upset by the slips--we are here trying to deal with our problems with alcohol after all, and slips are gonna happen--that's what the support is all about. I am always saddened when somebody lets themselves down by drinking when they didn't intend to--I KNOW how much it damages our self-esteem, not to mention our health, our relationships and our hopes for the future. I certainly was totally destroying my own hopes and dreams when I became abs in April. And, I also understand that slips are a part of getting well and that's why it is so important for us all to be here for one another.

So my difficulty is not that people have slips, not at all! And I'm glad to see folks get right back on here and try to work through what went wrong.... (I'm emphasizing this because I have seen how easy it is to be misunderstood on these boards....)

What IS bothering me, though, is something more like a slip in resolve or determination.... I am disturbed mostly by the almost anticipated slips, what seems to me a "maybe I will, maybe I won't" attitude to having a drink...

I guess what worries me is, how serious are we here, folks?? I know we all THINK we're serious but I'm not sure I'm really buying it....

I guess what I'm trying to focus on is a sense that we have become too accepting that folks WILL have a drink somewhere along the line and that this is really "okay." In a weird way, this sets us up to slip, it gives us permission to drink, it even reinforces the idea that when the pressure gets REALLY bad we WILL pick up a drink...because, well, that's what WE drinkers do, isn't it??

But I came to the conclusion months ago that staying abs for me is truly a life or death situation. No matter how great the pressure, no matter what events are coming up in my life, no matter what, I am determined not to drink. As most of you know, my mantra is: WHATEVER IT TAKES! I mean this from the core of my being: I will actually do whatever it takes to stay abs--I will not be in situation in which my sobriety is threatened and I will consciously choose situations that support my new life. Because my new life is the only life I can actually live..... For me, alcohol=death.

Like everyone else, I would hope to get support if for some horrendous reason I did have a drink...but I don't want to feel that drinking is really okay or even expected because then I know I'm totally setting myself up to fall big time....

In a way, it's a bit of a Catch-22...we need to support each other through our hard times, our slips and falls BUT we also don't want to create an atmosphere where slips and falls are so okay that they become not only acceptable but even inevitable.

Am I making any sense, or do I just seem like some finger-wagging, self-righteous git??
                            susan
                            "I'm a sucker for a good resurrection story." Anne Lamott

Comment

Wednesday Oct 4th

Comment

Working...
                              X