New Year: January 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all; looks like no one has started the January thread so I thought I'd jump in. I see from reading the December thread that the Long Term Modders ranks are thinning a bit but I think its a group worth maintaining,even though I'm not around as much anymore.

Even if folks aren't posting everyday this forum is a place on the boards where modders can meet and befriend one another. When I started in January 2008 modding was really a "no man's land" and it was hard to find my way alone. Thanks to so many of you in the last year, there has been a support group for those choosing modding. Kid's threads and all of our own are a great resource for inspiriation, even if there is no one on line the week one needs a lift.

So I'm here to say I'm doing a 30 day exercise challenge and along with that I'm doing "as AF as I can be January" like I did in 2008. That first month I had 22 AF days and if I could meet that standard again I'd be thrilled.

I'm also doing the EA Active 30 day challenge with the Wii to boost my weight loss efforts. I have FLorida plans in February and I need all my summer clothes to fit! I plan to do some serious golfing while visiting with my "snowbird" parents who spend a few months there.

So I will be around a bit more. . . not every day, but I think of all of you everyday whether posting or not. Ever grateful for finding MWO.

Fondly

Ask

Mod Squad New Year: January 2010

Hello Ask, and other Modders,
    I didn't recognize your thread as the Mod Squad thread at first...But I'm glad I found it. Thanks for getting us started for January, Ask.

I like the sound of "as AF as I can be" for January. We celebrated New Year's eve with friends, and I had several glasses of wine (okay, 3 glasses of wine, plus 2 Champagnes). It was a bit too much...I didn't feel very drunk, since my consumption was spread out over the hours between 5 and midnight, with lots of food and water. But I did wake up feeling hung over and poorly slept. I haven't wanted to drink since, and my goal is to hold off for social occasions or dinners out, which are very few and far between.

Hope the other Mod Squadders are well...What are your plans for January?

Peace,
    Sara
    "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

Sara and Ask,
      Good to see you are still around. I've decided to post under monthly abstinence for January, since that is my goal. I had wine every day from Christmas Eve through yesterday, and I now need some time off. I need to get my AF habits back firmly in place.
      My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Happy New Year to all modders.

I've spent both November and December being ridiculously, wickedly busy. No time to read MWO, let alone post, and then about mid-November I decided I wasn't going to be as disciplined about drinks per week either. I didn't really fall off the waggon completely, but certainly don't want to continue like that.

So, like everyone else (and sort of in your words, Sunbeam), I need to get my good habits back in place. Good luck on your exercise challenge Ask, and go for those 22 days, Sara.

Just looking at your signature, Sunbeam - you can say that Christmas and New Year's are definitely occasions!

Be well everyone,
        DG

Comment

Hi Modders! Ask it is good to "see" you again. I have wondered how you are doing.

I don't have any definite goals for January and I believe I need to make at least one. I'm feeling a little bit lost these days. My husband had a couple of medical scares over the past six weeks which has made us both take stock of our long-term health and well being. Happily, the biopsy for the prostate cancer came back clear. His diabetes, however, was not being well managed. We are doing a better job of it now though and he has lost 23 lbs., I have lost 8 lbs and we are eating much healthier these days. I have a hard time managing more than one thing at a time I guess so the vigilance about my alcohol consumption has fallen by the wayside. I rarely over do it, but the frequency is creeping up to that daily habit again. Reading about other people's successes is very helpful and inspiring.

Hope all are doing well meeting their goals. xo Beth
          vegan zombies want your grains

Comment

Hiya MODDERS

I havent visited much recently and have not posted either. Just been busy and got out of the habit i guess. I have found that posting all the time can get too much and place too much emphasis on the whole issue for me.

I had a really successful christmas. I had a number of days were I was AF and a few more where I was well within very sensible limits. Christmas day and new years eve, I had a little more, but nothing awful, no hangovers and no bad feelings. All in all, the best Christmas I have had (AL wise) for a while. So delighted.

No definite goals for January, other than plan not to drink at all Sunday to Thursday, plan not to drink more than one day a week and ideally plan to get a couple of AF weekends in, especially this weekend coming. But I am not making solid plans as things always come along to change them, then there is disapointment, which there need not be unless I go over my personal limits.

So I wish you all good luck with your goals and its lovely to see a few familiar names here still. I will pop in more but will not be over doing my usage...

Lots of love to all]

moo
            "The greatest thing in the world is not so much where we are,
            but in what direction we are moving."

Comment

Its nice to see folks here.
              Moo - it sounds like you're doing GREAT.
              Cycle, sorry about the medical scares, but it is a motivator isn't it? As I see my 83 year old parents age, I think I need to stay as fit and health as I can. Congrats on the weight loss for both you and hubby.
              Dancing Girl: good to see you: I too decided not to be so disciplined, and then stopped my Topamax to see how that felt, and found myself creeping back to old habits and amounts. So here's to a fresh January re-start.
              Sun: hope to be in touch even though you're trying out a differnt thread.
              Sara: let's be in touch too!

I am on day 3 AF and day 2 of the exercise challenge. A little sore from running in place and playing Wii tennis, but am taking it slow so I don't injure myself. Back to the Jan 2008 rules of No Alcohol at home and only drinking if I'm out and REALLY feel like it. I learned to like O Douls or a club soda and cranberry splash in social situations so it feels good to be back in that groove.

I'm thinking of going back to last years mod threads and see what I wrote for 2009 goals. Should be interesting.

Love to all.
              Ask

Comment

Ask,
                Thanks for starting the thread and it's been great to *see* all of you again.

Sara, I think I was your twin on New Year's Eve night. Also had a long period of time for drinking with the total for the night being exactly the same - even the same types of liquor - we could have been out together! Didn't feel real bad the next day but didn't like the #5 for the drinktracker for the first of the year. Then Sat. was the controlled two when out and then I went and had the third one at home that I didn't really need but had a bottle left from New Years so that battle continues.

Tonight I wanted a glass of wine but I kept telling myself "Don't". Even one makes me too relaxed I guess and then I don't want to get things done as I become very lazy. And the scary part for me is it's real hard for me to do controlled drinking at home. I do much better when out for dinner or a party.

Like Ask, I have learned to like O'Douls (like the amber one they make) and club soda with cranberry in a wine glass. So, I'm still trying to do that rather than break down and have the drink(s) at home.

I like the exercise challenges you're all talking about so think I'll get on that page too.

Hmm, I like the comment about checking last year's goals as well. Think I'll check that out too! Ask and Sarah, just curious if you two have ever met being it sounds like you're fairly close to each other. To me, that would be a good thing and a 2010 goal if you haven't!

Beth, Wishing good health for you and hubby in 2010!

:l
                Eve11
                "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Just a reminder, I am pretty new to mod squad. I started MWO in October and trying to get traction in this group. I seem to be the thread killer when I look at who posted last on other ones.

My goals stay the same for Al:
                  Never drink before 6:00 pm
                  when I drink always have water and eat lots
                  take at least three nights a week AF
                  keep number of drinks at 12 or less a week(my prior goal was 10 but did not hit it often)

My daily health habits are ingrained with good exercise and diet programs.

My wife and I go to New Zealand and Australia this Friday for three week vacation. I plan on going 30 AF when I return to see how life truely is AF. No plans after that.

Comment

Hi all,
                    Even though I am posting here last, I read all of the posts daily. It is great to know just how everyone is doing. Nothing like a new year to renew those resolutions.

MG72, I am sorry you feel like a thread killer because you are not. You have added a lot here. The group has just thinned, including me.

I changed my signature line today to reflect even less alcohol. I am tired of worrying about it. I expect my next occasion will be on vacation in February.
                    My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Hey Everyone,
                      I'm so glad to see some Mod Squadder posts!

It feels like many of us are in similar places. When I see others at MWO asking about successful modding, I think of all of us and whether or not we would see ourselves as successful. I think we are. We may not meet every goal and we may occasionally have a little more than planned or than we know is good for us. But haven't we all reigned it in pretty darned well? I guess it depends on your definition of success. If success means not really having to think about it anymore, then I guess most of us aren't fully successful. But if it means feeling that alcohol has little negative impact on our lives at this point, then we are.

I was glad to wake up this morning and know I was AF last night. I didn't sleep well anyway, with two little boys crawling into bed with me in the night, but that's okay. A bad night's sleep sober is still better than a bad night's sleep with alcohol.

My hubby read something in the Boston Globe about doing a 21 day "financial fast". The idea is that for 21 days, you spend money on nothing that isn't essential - basically food and medical care only (plus the usual bills, of course.) No meals out, or even coffees out... No manicures or little extras. We're going to do it. I also just read an interesting book by Michael Pollan, called "In Defense of Food, An Eater's Manifesto". He writes about the sociology and ecology involved in eating, but ends with some basic guidelines for healthy eating, including not eating anything with ingredients that are hard to pronounce or that you haven't heard of. "Eat (real) food. Not too much. Mostly plants." So I'm including that in our 21 days. No junk. No white flour, no sugar. Finally, I'm going to try and do the 21 days AF. 21 days seems a little less daunting than the usual 30, which I've done several times before.

Eve, you asked if Ask and I have met. We haven't yet! We did PM about it. Maybe this year, Ask? I'm weirdly shy about meeting new people, or even contacting old friends, and it holds me back and sometimes leads me to feel lonely. There's an interesting series on PBS this week, called "This Emotional Life". I'd recommend it. Last night's episode talked about the importance of friendship to our happiness. I consider all of you my friends, and although I think we all have some mixed feelings about frequent posting, maintaining the connection is important to me.

Okay...Long one. Time to get breakfast for the boys. Have a great day, everyone.
                      Sara
                      "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

SaraSmiles,
                        "In defense of food" has made an important impact on how my wife and I eat. We do lots of fresh foods, very little processed food, whole grain bread and pasta, very little refined sugar and buy some organic fruits that are high on the danger list. I still have to have a handful of potato chips and few bites of chocolate cake sometimes. In short we maximize the right type of food and minimize the bad. This food regimen along with good exercise program and lots of water have kept me right at my ideal weight(172# and 6'0" tall. I am 22 pounds lighter than I was 17 years ago. I hope you and your family are able to follow his suggestions.

Sunbeam,
                        I do hope you stay in touch with this group. You are so supportive and knowedgeable on your postings. I remember you encouraging me when I first started to try 30 days AF. I did 18 days, loved the way I felt, gave into urges one night and did not make it. However since then my consumption is lower with more days off a week than before. Thanks for responding to my post yesterday.

Comment

Hi Everyone , Happy New Year

The last few weeks have been hectic , I'm sorry that I have been MIA ... I'm still modding , drinktracker keeps me accountable , plus the fact that my husband doesn't drink , so there is no AL in the house. I just wanted to check in , I have to get some errands done , I'll write more later .. :l Em
                          Non Drinker 9/09
                          Non Smoker 6/09
                          Tennis Anyone ?

Comment

Good to see you Emmy!!!

Comment

Morning modders, sorry I havent checked in yet this year (sounds longer that way ). Modding over the Christmas period went a bit askew so I am doing 30 days AF as of 31st Dec and seeing where that takes me. It was more a case of my usual problem of sipping away at it for days in a row rather than getting sloshed but still not where I want to be. I will check back in from time to time, may I wish you all a belated happy new year and I hope we all achieve our goals no matter what they may be.
                              Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Working...
                              X