Crutches -- or Tools?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crutches -- or Tools?

I was struck by something Macks wrote in his post this morning about going "Cold Turkey" (no supplements, no meds) vs. using a crutch. I know we might sometimes see these things, especially medications, as a crutch. Taking medication makes us feel that we are sick or wounded or weak. We think we should be able to do this on our own, using our own willpower. Or maybe even a Power Greater than Ourselves.

There is no doubt there is a biochemical component to the alcohol problem. We are accustomed to treating other biochemical problems with medication and we don't think twice about it. We don't think twice about taking a pill, if we need to, for hypertension or headaches. If there is a medication that can help us solve our drinking problem, why would we NOT want to take it? Especially if we have tried and failed to solve the problem using other methods?

We tend to see supplements in a different light. We are more accustomed these days to taking extra supplements to prevent this or help that.

And I'm not on the payroll of the pharmaceutical companies. I'm not necessarily pro-prescription-med. For those who can stay sober or moderate with just diet, supplements, exercise, and support, I think that is WONDERFUL.

But my point here is why do we have to look at the medicine as a "crutch." I offer an alternative way to see it. Why not see it as a tool in our toolbox? After all, recovery is a BIG PROJECT. We are, in fact, BUILDING NEW LIVES. Doesn't it make sense that such a project would require a lot of specialized tools? And none of us is building the same new life, so each of our tool boxes will have a different set of tools. Mine might have Topamax, supplements, cross country skiing, and volunteering at church, whereas Macks might have no prescription meds, but plenty of supplements, family activities and fishing. Our toolboxes are filled with different specialized tools because we are each building different new lives. Seeing the supps and meds as tools rather than crutches gives us the sense of doing something active and positive, rather than a sense of being wounded and fragile. To me, it just seems like a healthier and more productive metaphor.

Anyway, just thought I'd share. Maybe after a while I will move this over to the General Discussion forum. Macks, you should clean out your inbox!!

Mike
    "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Crutches -- or Tools?

:good: :wd: :thumbs: :thanks:

Well said!
    :h :h :h :h

Comment

Crutches -- or Tools?

I agree too.
      Gabby :flower:

Comment

Crutches -- or Tools?

Mike, I also agree. I like your simile to the toolbox. I guess (for me anyway) it's hard to figure out exactly what tools are going to work for you. I think we have to re-examine them from time to time and see if they are still useful. I know my toolbox has got to be emptied and re-stocked.
        Thanks for this.
        Janet

Comment

Crutches -- or Tools?

tool box

I like the way you think Mike.

Helen

Comment

Crutches -- or Tools?

Isn't he so cute Helen?
            Gabby :flower:

Comment

Crutches -- or Tools?

Mike, i have thrown the crutch and am getting a toolbox....As usual you are right...and a good man...Thankyou
              The inbox is now empty.....Mack....Macks...Its all good
              I don't care who you are...Your not walking on water while i'm fishing..
              One drink is too many... A thousand is never enough...Sober since July 2nd 2009

Comment

Working...
              X