HARD TIMES!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HARD TIMES!

Gather all your leftover, wilting veggies, anything bruised, rubbery. Heat with a little olive oil (remember dif vegs take dif times!) till soft. Puree the mix in a blender or food processor. Add chicken broth to thin, then season with whatever you have and like. VOILA!!! Creamed Veggie Soup that maximizes your grocery purchases.

Note: If lots of potatoes, broccolli, etc, add some leftover crumbled cheese. Maybe a touch of milk, cream, butter? Also, use the last crackers in the pack, crumble, on top to give a little crunch. Let your imagination work!
    sigpic
    Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
    awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

HARD TIMES!

Ruby,
    You must have a webcam in my kitchen!!

Comment

HARD TIMES!

Sounds good! I'm on a soup kick lately, maybe it's because of the sub zero temperature!
      The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

HARD TIMES!

Ruby, that's fab! I've really been thinking about putting together a small cookbook for folks on a really tight budget that don't know how to cook. It really makes me sad to see very poor people at the grocery store blowing their money on nutritionally vapid junk foods.
        nosce te ipsum
        (Know Thyself)

Comment

HARD TIMES!

Determinator;786602 wrote: Ruby, that's fab! I've really been thinking about putting together a small cookbook for folks on a really tight budget that don't know how to cook. It really makes me sad to see very poor people at the grocery store blowing their money on nutritionally vapid junk foods.
          I KNOW, Det! I've figured out when my favorite meat depts mark down their products, and I'll buy $300 worth at 50% off, then repackage and vacuum seal them when I get home. I figure out the best price on sizes, skip most of the process stuff altogether. (No twinkies in my buggy!) I buy local produce, when available, especially from the Mennonite farmers. Free range chicken and eggs - YUM~! With a little searching, one can find so many things produced near your home, and the difference in taste and nutrition is astounding. There's a mill near our cabin where I get stone ground corn meal, flour, grits, porridge (they ship, if anyone's interested). When I see a very overweight family in the check-out lane next to me with their boxes of macaroni dinners, bags of chips (or air), cases of soft drinks, and no fresh veggies or meats (no, hot dogs don't count) I cringe.
          sigpic
          awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

HARD TIMES!

your kidding right, would that really make something edible and yummo?

Comment

HARD TIMES!

It depends somewhat on the ingredients, but more on the spices for flavoring. I like fresh parsley, basil, thyme, cumin. I make soup from all kinds of leftovers, not just veggies. A slice of chopped ham is good to throw in. A cooked sweet potato makes a great broth with the chicken broth, often some beans. I love my soups, I eat a 12 oz. container for lunch most days.
              My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

HARD TIMES!

OK Rubes.....think FOOD NETWORK!! "Ruby's Country Kitchen"!! And of course, your first cookbook title will be , "365 Recipes to Go With Texas Toast"

XO
                A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

HARD TIMES!

Funny Kate! :H We just love the stuff, and I bake my own bread.
                  sigpic

Comment

HARD TIMES!

Sounds great! I love soups, even in the summer.

Comment

Working...
                    X