Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What books have made you cry or want to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all,

I love reading and thought this may be an interesting topic.

The two books that stand out for me and have actually made me weep are

1/ Ghost Girl by Torey Hayden
    A totally enthralling book that had me gripped from start to finish, the level of abuse that one child can go through played heavily on my heart and I shall never forget what she went through.
    2/The Time Travellers Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
    Again once started I couldn`t stop reading this book, it is beautifully written and very moving, it is about a couple who meet when she is 6 and he is 36 and marry at 20 and 28 hence the time travelling, it is an amazing book and will have you laughing out loud at times and then very sad on the next page.

Look forward to hearing about your books

Twit xx

Twit, I am getting back into my reading, the Time Travellers wife really appeals to me.
    I havent read a book thats made me cry for a long time, I havent really felt brave enough to if truth be known
    Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
    Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Twit,
      Marley and Me by David Frankel

Anyone who has ever had a dog and has seen them through puppy hood to their final journey. Be warned, you'll need at least 2 boxes of tissues.
      It could be worse, I could be filing.
      AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

" My Dog Skip" ( It's a boy and his dog thing.....Like "Ole Yeller" Ha!) IAD
        ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
        those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
        Dr. Seuss

Comment

I can remember watching the film of My Dog Skip one Christmas with our Son in Law and two grandsons who are obviously ahem all` hard as nails,` well they weren`t that afternoon and we all sat there blubbing our eyes out and each time we looked at each other we made it worse, I would imagine the book would be just the same and definately not one to read on the train unless you wanted to make a show of yourself lol.
          I have read Marley & Me too and what a fantastic book often hilarious in places if you are a dog lover like me, I have got the DVD and now just need the time to watch it so no doubt another box of tissues will come in handy!

Thanks for your replies too x:thanks:

Comment

Haven't read "Marley & Me" but did watch on TV a while back....sobbed through the whole end!

Comment

Before I die by Jenny Downham.

Its about a teenage girl with a terminal illness. Sounds dreadful but it really isn't, very thoughtful and insightful. I didn't cry until the end.

As an aside - I watched Marley and me on a longhaul flight. Big mistake - the guy in the seat next to me thought i was having a nervous breakdown!

Bets
              Proud to be SLIGHTLY SLOVENLY.:wavin:

[/COLOR]

Comment

Running With Scissors made me cry. I felt so badly for children who were so neglected.

I know it is supposed to be a humorous book, but for me it was just plain sad.

I am sure I can think of others but this was the most recent one I read.

Cindi
                AF April 9, 2016

Comment

The Bridges of Madison County comes to mind ...

Comment

Shantaram

Not only did I cry while reading this, I continue to weep years later, with appreciation and wonder at both the poetry of the words and the profundity of the story. Convicted armed robber escapes from Australian prison to Bombay where he makes his way through rich and indescribable circumstances (except in the book).

"SHANTARAM" by Gregory David Roberts. Here's the opening paragraph - best opening paragraph of any novel I've ever read, and the rest of the tale does not disappoint:

"It took me a long time and most of the world to learn what I know about love and fate and the choices we make, but the heart of it came to me in an instant, while I was chained to a wall and being tortured. I realized somehow, through the screaming in my mind, that even in shackled, bloody helplessness, I was still free: free to hate the men who were torturing me or free to forgive them. It doesn?t sound like much I know. But in the flinch and bite of the chain, when it?s all you?ve got, that freedom is a universe of possibility. And the choice you make between hating and forgiving can become the story of your life."

Blessings . . .
                    "Wherever you are is the entry point." --Kabir

Comment

Thankyou again for all your replies so keep them coming.

A brilliant but sad book is

A Mother Like Alex by Bernard Clark
                      `One defiant woman nine special children`

Alex is one special lady who had adopted nine children all with the most terrible disabilites who have been given up for adoption from the moment they were born, in Alex`s case the worse the disability the better and each chapter is about each individual child she has adopted, most have downs syndrome who can walk and talk but some can not see and just lay in cots but she has built up a relatonships with all of them. Andrew is a boy who can`t do anything and lays in an adult cot but his moment of happiness comes of an evening when she gives him a cuddle and each night he gives her a pinch and he lets out a mischievious gurgling laugh so he does have a way of communicating no matter how bad his body is within.

take care Twit x

Comment

Genre; Realistic Fiction
                        A Thosand Splendid Suns by Kalid Hussein...and A Million Little Pieces by James Frye ( you know the Oprah scandal)... I recently read this book and didnt understand why the world was so upset at this author 'lying'. He did a remarkable job dealing with alcoholism and drugs...alll the demons that bring us to this place and his journey with sobriety. He will make you look at yourself , laugh at yourself and see the light at the end of the tunnel. A Thousand Splendid Suns will take you into the mountainous deserts of Afghanistan, two beautiful young boys sevant and slave pre-taliban and see the way their relationship and country were transformed. The common thread in each story is the resiliance of the human spirit. Enjoy-

Comment

I really don't want to call you "twit'.....Ha! So Around it is ! I love to read it takes you away.......IAD. How about: " The Kid in the Pin Stripe pajamas " another book made into a movie......Holicaust misery.....IAD
                          ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                          those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                          Dr. Seuss

Comment

RedThread12;797538 wrote: Not only did I cry while reading this, I continue to weep years later, with appreciation and wonder at both the poetry of the words and the profundity of the story. Convicted armed robber escapes from Australian prison to Bombay where he makes his way through rich and indescribable circumstances (except in the book).

"SHANTARAM" by Gregory David Roberts. Here's the opening paragraph - best opening paragraph of any novel I've ever read, and the rest of the tale does not disappoint:

"It took me a long time and most of the world to learn what I know about love and fate and the choices we make, but the heart of it came to me in an instant, while I was chained to a wall and being tortured. I realized somehow, through the screaming in my mind, that even in shackled, bloody helplessness, I was still free: free to hate the men who were torturing me or free to forgive them. It doesn?t sound like much I know. But in the flinch and bite of the chain, when it?s all you?ve got, that freedom is a universe of possibility. And the choice you make between hating and forgiving can become the story of your life."

Blessings . . .
                            shantaram is one of the best books i've ever read! it's a;ways in my top 5 lists.

also "1,000 splendid suns" made me cry repeatedly...so intense!

Comment

Aroundtwit;788361 wrote: Hi all,

I love reading and thought this may be an interesting topic.

The two books that stand out for me and have actually made me weep are

1/ Ghost Girl by Torey Hayden
                              A totally enthralling book that had me gripped from start to finish, the level of abuse that one child can go through played heavily on my heart and I shall never forget what she went through.
                              2/The Time Travellers Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
                              Again once started I couldn`t stop reading this book, it is beautifully written and very moving, it is about a couple who meet when she is 6 and he is 36 and marry at 20 and 28 hence the time travelling, it is an amazing book and will have you laughing out loud at times and then very sad on the next page.

Look forward to hearing about your books

Twit xx
                              SNAP....Time Travellers Wife is my favourite book of all time.

Have you read any of Torey Hayden's other books? One Child is pretty horrific.

Comment

Working...
                              X