Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Daughter

Hello,
    I need help with what to do about my 36 year old daughter and what I suspect is her alcoholism.

As a small child she was always very anxious. For example, she felt sad even if she was going someplace with her dad and I was left at home. She felt badly leaving me. Her little sister was born when she was 3 years old and she would hardly leave the house. Didn't want to go to pre-school or to play at her friends' houses, etc. I did very much try to entice her to do these things which probably wasn't the thing to do in retrospect.

She was a bit above average as a student, had friends, and was a pretty good athlete. I suspect she started drinking in high school although we never caught her. The first time I remember being a little concerned was visiting her in college and going to a football game. She and her roommate had stocked up on beer, and even wine just for me. She told me that often they would just stay in the parking lot and drink and not even go in to the game. At that time, we thought it might just be typical college stuff. She lived at home for a very short time between college and her new job as a teacher and I remember her and her girlfriend sitting in her bedroom drinking beer. She was 21 and although I didn't like it, I didn't quite know what to do about it other than express my disapproval.

Well, over the years I suspect she has kept drinking. I think it may be to cover her anxiety. She has told me she has panic attacks and they truly frighten her. She has kept her job and takes pride in it. When we met to walk in the summer mornings, I could smell liquor on her breath. When I'd mention it, she'd say, "Oh really, well we had a bottle of wine last night". She is married and I think her husband also drinks although not as much as she does. I suspect she drinks a whole lot and her husband doesn't really know. She has stopped going golfing, skiing, almost everything she used to love. She works and she stays home. My husband and I cannot remember the last time we saw her that didn't involve drinking. She doesn't go out to bars although she will meet friends there. I think that is about her only outside activity.

Just this year she is becoming more withdrawn and only seems to contact us when she wants something. She denies she has a problem of course. My husband and I are truly heartbroken and don't know what to do. Please, please, please give us your suggestions.

I should say that the entire time she lived at home, neither my husband nor I drank at all other than the few occasions we'd go out or have company over so she did not grow up with parents who drank other than occasionally. SInce then, I have evolved into drinking wine quite a bit and am now trying to stop. So far four days without wine. I don't think we were good influences on her other than that I worked very long hours and I know I should have paid more attention to her.

Also, my dad, her grandpa, was definitely an alcoholic and she was around him a lot. He loved her to pieces and she loved him and I'm not aware of any negative occurrences there.

Thank you.

My Daughter

Hi Time2Live. I of course cannot speak for your daughter, but I certainly recognize the progression that you described from "hard partying" in college, to "work hard play hard" on the career path, to "work and drink at home." The next step for me was "don't work and just drink all day at home." Not saying that is what your daughter is doing or if so, if she will progress as I did.

First, if she IS and alcoholic, it is not your fault. Trying to figure out something / someone to blame is just not very productive, I don't think. It doesn't solve the problem.

Have you considered Alanon? I participate in AA and through the activities at the Club I go to for meetings, have met many of the spouses who participate in alanon. I think they have some solid ideas for how to deal with family members who may be problem drinkers or alcoholics.

She is out of town right now, but you might send a private message to poster Retteacher. It sounds like the two of you have a lot in common. She was an Alanon participant for years as she has a son with drinking issues. (and she has posted freely about that on this forum, so I don't think I'm talking out of school!) She ended up with her own alcohol problems and now works on her own sobriety as well. Since she has been on the "inside" of this issue, I just think she might have some sage wisdom and I know she would be happy to help when she returns.

Strength and hope to you and your daughter,

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

My Daughter

Time, tho it's been a while since your post, I hope you see this. Yes, something is definitely wrong. We hope, we pray, we deny, but as a mother you see. If you still want help, come back. I will be glad to offer you just my opinion, but I've been there.
      sigpic
      Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
      awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

My Daughter

You cannot help her at all. She has to first admit she has a problem and then she has to WANT to stop drinking. My parents always tried to help me and in return I avoided them or used them. I know it is very hard for you, but you have to step back and let her reach the point that she knows she has a problem and maybe you can tell her about this site, where SHE can find help. I know this is very hard for a Mother to do, but all you can do to help her is to pray for her.
        I'm not what I should be, I'm not what I could be. I'm definetly not who I want to be,
        but I'm sure not who I used to be!

There is no pit so deep that God's love is not deeper still.

"I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST WHO STRENGTHENS ME." Phil 4:13

Comment

My Daughter

Doggygirl;790508 wrote: Hi Time2Live. I of course cannot speak for your daughter, but I certainly recognize the progression that you described from "hard partying" in college, to "work hard play hard" on the career path, to "work and drink at home."
          OHHHHHHHHHHHH:upset: you just summed up my old life :upset:

Seriously, I am happy I was able to recognize the problem before the no work just drink started. I am not saying i am all better. Just saying I don't want to go back to that ugly place of sitting in the garage drinking and smoke to numb the pain.

Sorry if i made it about me but your daughter reminded me. I am 36 also.
          No one was able to make me stop. I just was able to admit to myself that what i was doing was unhealthy mentally and physically.

I am not completely AF, I still go through ups and downs but i never drink just to drink. I am happy with myself right now but will never lose sight that it can all turn to crap again. I don't want to go there.

Good luck with your Daughter.
          Starting over again 09/06/11

"When its good its good its so good until it goes bad" Pink,Sober

sigpic

Comment

My Daughter

Doggygirl;790508 wrote: Hi Time2Live. I of course cannot speak for your daughter, but I certainly recognize the progression that you described from "hard partying" in college, to "work hard play hard" on the career path, to "work and drink at home."
            DG
            Yikes ... this is my Eureka moment .. you are talking about me, my life, the life that I am trying to change ... now ... I am also 36 ... .. grrrr

Time2 live - If you were my mother and came to confront me head on about my drinking I honestly don't know how I would have reacted. My hubby has been giving me gentle hints about my drinking in the last year - no effect. I have been drinking in hiding from him a lot. But deep down I realized the downward spiral I was in and tried and tried to change my ways. On my own I got nowhere, until I found this site.

The biggest difference came when I wanted to change ... to put a stop to the madness. maybe she can relate to some of our stories, I certainly volunteer to write mine down, as a teaser ... I felt like a failure until I realised how many more women were living the same nightmare ...
            workaholic, shoeaholic and yes ... alcoholic

Comment

My Daughter

Shue, I'm so happy for you that you are addressing the problem before it progresses further - because if left unattended, it WILL progress further. Take your life back now.

DG
              Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
              Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Working...
              X